Interestign problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I learned a few interesting facts since yesterday.

the property is actually is 2 pieces, 1 @ 10 acres with the house and water front property the other across the road @ 87 acres all woodlot.

There's a Inter-generation Tax Benefit for wood lot owners with a Management plan. I think it's basically if you have a long term woodlot management plan you can transfer the property down a generation more easily then if it was just a large piece of property.

The province has a website some info for woodlot owners so I’ve been going through that.

I have a friend that is going to the Forestry School so I’m going to ask him the best way to go about getting a plan.

But 1st I’m going to sit down with the FIL and see what he wants to do.

We had a Photography come down to the house and take some pics, some where family photo's the other were of the house (X-mas gift for the FIL)

We got the dvd of pics last night. Here's a few

hld1040c.jpg

hld0933c.jpg

hld0242c.jpg

hld0015c.jpg

here's on of the Family.

hld0323c2.jpg

WOW, I would call that home. You are very fortunate. Good luck figuring out the firewood dilemma, either way I would spend as much time there as possible.

Looks like a fantastic place to raise a family... Your dog is already helping with the fire wood.. :D Thank's for sharing the pics.. Amazing house too..

Awesome place - the benefits of being there would far outweigh any minor inconveniences with pluming or insulation, all of which can be changed if really required. However primitive it may seem, someone lived there happily and comfortably just like it is, and indeed they probably thought it quite modern. Think how easy it would be to get firewood!

+1 on the forester.

Is there a provincial service that provides consultation for homeowners? Connecticut State Foresters will walk the land with the owner and provide an initial consultation (it's either 4 or 8 hours they're allowed)...it's enough to at least let the owner know what questions to ask and what to look for in hiring a forester or logger.

Also, is there a farm tractor available? Could you skid your own logs to a landing? Steepness could be an issue since you don't want to spend much money, so things like logging winches would be out.

Cut in fall, skid in February when the ground is frozen solid, I'm guessing pay $150-200 for a grapple truck to deliver ~ 8 cords at a time to you. Finish bucking and splitting at home.

Hello,
The place looks amazing !!!!!! You are right....wood for a lifetime. Everybody is saying that you should move there, however, you say it is at least 1 hour away from where you live now. So what do you do for a living? Would it even be possible to move and still do your job? How old are you and how long until you are ready to retire? Also the house sounds like it's not ready to live in in winter weather !!!! Sounds like getting to wood back to where you live now is the pressing issue !!!!! I would buy a tractor and a truck. Leave the tractor at the farm house and go cut wood on the week-ends. Bring a truck load back each time you come home !!!!!! I think you could make that work !!!!!! Good luck !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Really nice place. FWIW I would not drive a 2 hr round trip for a "light" pickup load of wood in my 1/2 ton truck either. I say light due to your distance and road conditions. If my truck is a little overloaded and I only have to travel a few miles from home it isn't too bad, but an hour on rough roads is asking for trouble with an overloaded truck. Even if you don't value your time much you could burn 40-50$ worth of fuel and four or five hours. I can get pickup loads delivered all day long around here for $75 or less. I probably burn in the neighborhood of 20 legal loads a year. That would be a week's worth of driving time:msp_scared:

For a 2 hr round trip I would want to haul close to two cords per trip and no less than a cord. You would probably need a 4wd truck. I see you have a decent sized trailer you didn't say if a trailer puller was in the cards. If you want to legally haul more than a cord of green wood on it, you should probably be looking at a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Now you are looking at significant cost, upkeep, and poor mileage just for a wood hauler. A 4wd half ton truck or SUV would be much more practical for everyday use, thus easier to justify. It just won't haul quite as much as your trailer is capable of holding. Then there is the problem of finding something reliable enough to make the trip but not so nice as preclude its use as a skidder.

If you have other reasons to go there and you happen to come home with a load of wood, that sounds like a good time even if it isn't a big load. I suppose you could forgo the truck and use a tractor or quad to skid the wood at the property. You could spend a few weekends there skidding and processing. If you have other reasons to go there and you happen to come home with a load of wood, that sounds like a good time even if it isn't a big load.

I realize I haven't said anything new here but I thought I would put some numbers on it:

8 cords of wood is probably in the $12-1600 dollar range, at least in my area.

A U-haul and your trailer could probably handle all your wood in 2-3 trips which couldn't cost you more than a few hunred dollars. I decent sized dump truck could probably handle it in one trip and shouldn't be more than $500.

Any kind of vehicle to be dedicated to wood is going to cost a minimum of $100-200 per month over time, if you aren't too picky about what you get. A bigger payment gets you a nicer vehicle but you still have to maintain, fuel, and possibly insure it. If it is also your daily driver it serves a dual purpose which might make it easier to justify, but there is still a cost whether tractor, quad, or truck.

Time spent with your family and friends "camping" and cutting wood = Priceless!

Looks like a fantastic place to raise a family... Your dog is already helping with the fire wood.. :D Thank's for sharing the pics.. Amazing house too..

and i think the dog is thinkin," i could get ya lots more and we could be realyreallyreallyreally happy livin here!"
ya'll are quite blessed to have a slice of heaven like that. i love the woodworking in it already!

My approach to wooding beyond easy distance. Use car to commute for the cutting and the truck only moves when I have a good load ready. Sounds like you have a 40 mile or more one way (poor roads). I would be looking at a rig to pull that trailer and bring in 3 cord a shot ...at least it sounds likethe trailer could handle around 2 cords.

When pencilling out the costs, don't forget to include the health benefits you get from the 'wooding'.

Harry K

Back