Introducing myself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) Thanks a bunch, fellas. It's not so much talent as it is I just love working with wood, and love playing pool, so it kinda works out. I lose a lot of beautiful woods because of screw ups & such, so the only things I have pics of are the successes. What you don't see is the trash cans full of mistakes that fuel my fire pit LOL

Here's a couple more pics to show my little shop.

My 4yr old son working with his own tools:
lilworker002.jpg

Rack for all the various rosewoods, ebonies, etc. :
shop001.jpg

Rack for all my domestics like maples & oaks & walnuts & cherries, plus the top half is where I hang pieces in various stages of cuts. The gravity helps keep them straight and 360 degree air circulation:
shop002.jpg

Here's some pics of woods I use. The figure & colors have to be extremely bold & evident in order to show well in a small turning like cues. So here's some more extreme examples of figured & vibrant colored woods from around the globe.

Madrone burl, afzelia burl, pyinma, bubinga, maple, koa:
2010wood003.jpg

Goncalo alves, amboyna burl, teak burl, quilted bubinga, brown mallee burl, curly redheart, maple burl:
2010wood002.jpg

Curly purpleheart, curly chechen, curly olive, camphor burl, tambootie, B&W ebony, curly narra:
2010wood001.jpg

Crazy cocobolo:
2010wood005.jpg

Curly maples:
wdprn012.jpg

Birdseye maples:
wdprn011.jpg

And last is pics of a couple of pretty girls to cap off the wood (pun intended lol), if you can ignore the ugly dude next to them (me). These two girls are friends of mine. They are both professional pool players whom are sponsored by the same cue manufacturer(not me, i dunno why they hang out with me). We all frequent the same tournaments & trade shows, etc. I use my good looks to help them sell their products from their booth. The customers love coming over to see me, then it's bait & switch where I dump them on the girls for the sales pitch :chainsaw: LOL Ok. Maybe that last bit was a stretch of the truth :monkey: People actually swarm the girls & ignore me. The billiard industry isn't large so it's a tight nit group of friends. It's a lot of fun.

Miss Caroline:
eric-caroline.jpg

Ms. Jennifer:
jennifer-eric.jpg

Last edited:
I move it a bunch. Last weekend I took it to an old trailer park that had been abandoned. There's no longer any trailers but the trees are still there and some have died over the years. I milled up a few of the dead mulberry trees on site because the logs were simply too large & heavy for me to load & transport easily. I cut the tree, bucked the logs, then rolled them over to a concrete sidewalk that was level & smooth. I ran the mill with no track over the concrete & got beautiful slabs. The first cut is awkward because the round log has a tendency to roll around with dogs holding it still, and that puts lots of strain on the blade. But once I get a flat, I can roll the log over to the flat & it stays flat while I continue cutting.

I'm considering a CSM for the initial slabbing from log to cant, but only have a Stihl ms390 & i'm worried about wearing it out before it's time. I love that saw & it's beautiful for felling & bucking, but i'm not sure about milling. I can get a 28" bar & run a 24" Alaskan no problem but i'm not sure the saw is butch enough to last. I suppose only one or so slabs per log wouldn't be bad, but I saw almost only hardwoods. By hard I mean very hard. White oak is on the softer side of the things I mill. Maybe i'll ask the forum in a new thread.

But anyway, I was eyeballing the Hudson, too. But it wasn't quite portable enough for me. With my saw, I can take it into the woods ANYWHERE on my 4-wheeler and haul lumber out. No moving or loading logs, just cut them where they lay, within reason of course. It's actually pretty flimsy but it's deceiving because the lil turd makes some hardcore clean cuts in very tough wood. I sharpen my own blades, too, with a dremel. For super hard & gritty woods like ironwood, mesquite, etc. I use a blade with an alternating grind much like a tablesaw blade and it just hogs through. However, on long grained wood like hickory & pecan, those blades dull within seconds. It's weird but it is what it is & i'm still learning. If you wanted a more permanant stationed mill, you would be best, IMO, to spend the extra few hundred & get the Wood Mizer LT10. Very nice lil saw. My next saw is gonna be a 36 incher with a heavy rack & some good dogs. I have some awesome trees to cut in Ohio for a cabin and i'm going to need a "real" saw for it. Going to be lots of oaks & hicks & poplars & maples, some really big cherries. That'll be in October. Will post pics :)

The 390 is a great saw, but I would be hesitant about using it for milling wood so hard as yours. I rave about the MS390 and will continue to do so, but milling HARD wood would be pushing it IMHO. If the cuts were only 3-4 feet and you took a break or two sure. Just don't use it for 8+ foot cuts. WONDERFUL WORK. I love seeing that level of quality, please continue to post pics if you are not too busy.

Ike

Great work. Those cues look incredible. do you build your own shafts aswell or do most people use Predator shafts?

Do you have a website? I have a friend how likes to buy cues every year or 2. His last 2 were custom made and I think he'd be interested in a new cues after I show him these pictures.

Thanks

Bill

Great work. Those cues look incredible. do you build your own shafts aswell or do most people use Predator shafts?

Do you have a website? I have a friend how likes to buy cues every year or 2. His last 2 were custom made and I think he'd be interested in a new cues after I show him these pictures.

Thanks

Bill

Yeah, I make my own shafts. I try to mill my own maple trees when possible. Plan on quarter sawing 3-4 trees this winter just for shaft wood.
http://www.sugartreecues.com/

Back