Ironhorse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't have a dog in this fight, but...

When I was a kid, popular to read was James Harriet's books, autobiographies about his life as a small village veterinarian. He spelled it out plainly and in the countless stories he told. People are a PITA. Farmers/Ranchers would see a horse or cow fall to its knees before calling the Vet. And when they finally did call the Vet they expected a miracle. Usually there was nothing to be done, the animal was dying. And it was James' fault, cause he was the Vet and wanted compensation, and the things he tried were ineffective, etc etc etc.

I've stopped working on my neighbor junks. You CANNOT win. If you cannot take care of your equipment or don't care to learn, then let it be on you, not me.

I’m still confused as to why someone would send some YouTube buffoon their saw to “test” in the first place. Who cares what the YouTube person thinks of a saw they own or built? Some need for external validation? A craving for derivative “fame?”

Not to diminish the wrong of the YouTube person not sending it back after “testing,” the owner not getting the saw back in this scenario seems like some tuition in the school of life.

I’m still confused as to why someone would send some YouTube buffoon their saw to “test” in the first place. Who cares what the YouTube person thinks of a saw they own or built? Some need for external validation? A craving for derivative “fame?”

Not to diminish the wrong of the YouTube person not sending it back after “testing,” the owner not getting the saw back in this scenario seems like some tuition in the school of life.

It is all about sub-seconds. No matter the cost, the risk to your saw, bank account, peace of mind,,, if you can save a milli-second of time in a single cut then it is well worth it. Or at least that is what I have read here on this forum. Time is money, and for the deep pockets here, why not?

On the other hand, all that I have in my pocket is a hole. It being the only thing I have in my pocket, it is cherished and precious and I'll just keep my saw as is.

Do you remember when Harvey stated," You know the power is made in the muffler" I about fell off my chair laughing.
Yep. Claims to have been building saws his whole life. A couple of years ago he was quoted as saying “compression is made in the muffler, you don’t need to have higher compression to make good power. We all know that“.
A year ago, he said “we all know that compression is king”.

Lol. Wtf. Which is it?

Yep. Claims to have been building saws his whole life. A couple of years ago he was quoted as saying “compression is made in the muffler, you don’t need to have higher compression to make good power. We all know that“.

Lol. Wtf. Which is it?

Maybe I'm the idiot, but I thought he was the idiot when I heard his first statement. He thinks a pipe on a race saw or a dirt bike works just like a little saw muffler. Or he's just applying that theory since he doesn't have machining capabilities outside of a belt sander. 🤣 🤷‍♂️

Maybe I'm the idiot, but I thought he was the idiot when I heard his first statement. He thinks a pipe on a race saw or a dirt bike works just like a little saw muffler. Or he's just applying that theory since he doesn't have machining capabilities outside of a belt sander. 🤣 🤷‍♂️
I believe it’s all about leading his unknowing flock. They believe whatever he says

I believe it’s all about leading his unknowing flock. They believe whatever he says
That's the issue with YouTube, success on that platform has nothing to do with skill, honesty, or even information. It's all about entertainment value and knowing the algorithm.

Don't get me wrong, there are some knowledge people on YouTube, but there are also a lot of Iron horse and BBR types. What gets me is the fan base these idiots form...the fans practically swing on his nuts for this stuff.

Lol. Wtf. Which is it?
When Ironhorse didnt have a way to increase compression, there was no need. Once he got some gear to work on saws or found pop up pistons that fit, he changed his mind and upped his prices.
He's a greasy salesman selling his modded saws.
Im a hack porting too but I only work on cheap saws and dont charge people a bunch of money for doing it.

I've been a member here for over 20 years IIRC. In that time there have been many scamer builders. Some where just dumb azzes that didn't know what they were doing. Others were just plain crooks.
Well then you should easily remember the gentleman I am talking about and how that played out. It was not good. I believe the site has been scrubbed of all discussion of it

You should also remember the builder that died with folks saws still in his shop.. That was rough and a sad situation.

In no way am I defending the person. I have no idea. I know three years is ridiculous. If he is alive and active then he has ZERO excuse for not making it right.

I'll never understand how a sober person can repeatedly take advantage of people and sleep at night. Maybe I'm just to much of a scaredycat.

EDIT: I failed to mention I have read the thread on TOS.
What is TOS?

That's the issue with YouTube, success on that platform has nothing to do with skill, honesty, or even information. It's all about entertainment value and knowing the algorithm.

Don't get me wrong, there are some knowledge people on YouTube, but there are also a lot of Iron horse and BBR types. What gets me is the fan base these idiots form...the fans practically swing on his nuts for this stuff.
Yes like a blonde in yoga pants running a 880.......it's all for entertainment.

I don't claim to be knowledgeable when it comes to woods mods. I'm in the just get a bigger saw camp.
But, I think Mastermind has some street cred. I know Treemonkey, Timberwolf, others have built some nice running saws. They may be dead for all I know.
But, you have to keep up with it as saws change . I don't know any good way to do it other than buy some top ends and test them.

I don't know a damn thing about modding a saw, but I bet I could start a you tube channel and convince some morons that I do.

Lol. Wtf. Which is it?
We both know he is nothing but a bumbling idiot when it comes to modifying chainsaws, not a thing comes from his mouth that makes a lick of sense as far as port work or increasing performance . The best I ever heard him say was to reduce squish by gasket delete and then use black silicone to seal the cylinder to the crankcase, it will provide an extra .003 of squish clearance. He makes it sound like rocket science to his unknowing followers and his act schitc of the Uncle Harvey gets him many more recruits that hang on his every word without ever questioning his superior intelect. Harvey did do some logging in years past, always used Husqvarna chainsaws as far back as I can remember, he should have stayed in the woods .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back