Ironhorse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only just started reading this thread so cant comment on any further than the first handful of messages. Why dont you email him direct, he always says to email because there are just too many comments. It's always the same as soon as anyone asks there is a barrage of negative comments and I would say 99% who run harvey down know nothing about the bloke just that he got a YouTube channel. Give the guy a break instead of run him down, we should be helping each other not pouring petrol on the fire but if people are bored and not happy with life I guess they feel good taking it out on others. And it's always someone who is out of sight. So stop hiding behind keyboards and be nice to the world, it's being made full of negative crap as it is so let's keep it off here. Now I'm going to read the rest but I have a feeling I maybe posting again later .
Oh bull shat. Crooks and dumb Azzs need to be outed so they can't screw people over..

As a general 'view on life', there's some good points there though, in my opinion! And I did kind of jump on the bandwagon here, although some of my posts were meant to be funny, in the first place.

Something I was wondering about though... Is there actually a proper and standardized way to measure the power of a saw? RPM's, ok, and you can time cuts, but I mean horsepower and torque (at specific rpms, so the power band can be graphed, for example)? Or isn't there really a point to that? If a saw 'feels' faster to someone, that doesn't really tell me a lot, in any case.
Anyway, there's other important things too, for woods porting, like reliability, but a properly comparable 'base line' would be nice as some kind of proof.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAMrRtDJGU80JhYtxOkaMFw/videos?app=desktop

As a general 'view on life', there's some good points there though, in my opinion! And I did kind of jump on the bandwagon here, although some of my posts were meant to be funny, in the first place.

Something I was wondering about though... Is there actually a proper and standardized way to measure the power of a saw? RPM's, ok, and you can time cuts, but I mean horsepower and torque (at specific rpms, so the power band can be graphed, for example)? Or isn't there really a point to that? If a saw 'feels' faster to someone, that doesn't really tell me a lot, in any case.
Anyway, there's other important things too, for woods porting, like reliability, but a properly comparable 'base line' would be nice as some kind of proof.
A saw can be put on a dyno, but the results are only as good as the operator and the technology it's based on. With that said the easiest way is to test the saw in the wood.
Years ago there was a "builder" here that was doing alot of work. His saws screamed rpm wise and where loud. I bought one based on the ranting and ravings of others and found the saw to be about useless and actually cut slower than when it was stock. It sounded nasty though! After I posted my findings all of a sudden guys where pissed when they actually timed the saws they bought from the guy. Chalk it up to lesson learned.

Thanks for the feedback. Personally I think high dbs should be a by product of better performance, if it's louder than that, well... it wouldn't be for me. But I run stock saws anyway... I do find information on saw mods online, on youtube or on forums, really interesting though! Somebody who does it right usually has a thorough understanding of the saw at hand, or chainsaws in general, I think.

Sea chaser, so many wannabes all wanting some fame but there are some genuine folk too, all we can do is weed out the crap and dont give them your time.
Ontonthe main subject and I have read all the posts, it leaves me thinking who in their right mind would 1 send a saw to a stranger 2 leave it for three years and 3 not get in touch with the man. Over three years iron horse has posted many videos and often says he will reply to people so why hasnt this unhappy fella got in touch with him. He has for sure had plenty of time so cant go moaning. Always two sides to a story and we only heard one, but to me that dont even add up, three years🥵 no way!! Even if your a busy man you dont leave anything that long, unless you have more money than sence.
If someone gave me a saw to do and I had it that long it would have been in my way for 30 months🤣. And most saw shops I know here in uk say if the saw is left over six months they can sell it to recoup storage.
It seems there could be more to this story than we are aware of, until both sides of the story are known then NO ONE should run down old harvey.
That's my bit, sorry if it upsets anyone but the world should be a happy place not full of gossip and hassle. We get enough of that ctap for politicians.

Talk about naive...

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” - Mark Twain​

There was one line in the movie the Flim-Flam Man that made me think. George C. Scott, who gives a magnificent performance, tells his young protégé “You can’t cheat an honest man.”

Porting knowledge aside. If someone stole my saw and I knew where it was the police would be involved. If I didn't get the saw back it would be considered a hard lesson learned. He is still making videos so take that how you want. Personally if it's not face to face it's not happening.

buckin billy ray has him "port" saws for him, and he raves about them. maybe you could reach out to BBR and see if he could help you get ahold of him? but then again that BBR is a bit goofy himself lol
I find BBR entertaining, and reminds me heavily of my dad. Matter of fact the first time I sa one of his videos I thought it was my dad.

Porting knowledge aside. If someone stole my saw and I knew where it was the police would be involved. If I didn't get the saw back it would be considered a hard lesson learned. He is still making videos so take that how you want. Personally if it's not face to face it's not happening.
With all due respect that sounds good but I am sorry that is not reality. I have personal experience in trying to recover stolen items and it is not as easy as some think it is.

Me to. And it sucks. But I learned from those experiences. If you dont know someone then they have done nothing to earn your trust. If someone steels off your front porch, house, car ect. That is entirely different than willingly sending your property to a stranger.

That's the issue with YouTube, success on that platform has nothing to do with skill, honesty, or even information. It's all about entertainment value and knowing the algorithm.

Don't get me wrong, there are some knowledge people on YouTube, but there are also a lot of Iron horse and BBR types. What gets me is the fan base these idiots form...the fans practically swing on his nuts for this stuff.
What do you have against BBR? I always thought his videos were informative and entertaining.

With all due respect that sounds good but I am sorry that is not reality. I have personal experience in trying to recover stolen items and it is not as easy as some think it is.
But I do agree that law enforcement is a lot less motivated to retrieve stolen property than they where before the woke world we live in now.

What do you have against BBR? I always thought his videos were informative and entertaining.
I admittedly haven't watched much of his stuff, but I don't think he's as good of a faller as he thinks he is. Also spur climbing trees that aren't being removed is kinda frowned upon nowadays...I watched a video where he was doing that. I don't think it's quite as harmful as some people think, but I can do it with ropes and ascenders, and not scar the tree up as I do it.

I'm far from knowledgeable enough about saw porting, or basically any kind of modding, to be properly able to discern between what 's high value info and what 's total bs, but I have to say I didn't watch IH's videos for long, as the 'density' of useful information is quite low, and he seems to be quite full of himself. His video titles are of the clickbait kind ("I will be sharing a huuuuge secret!"), also something that makes me suspicious by default.

Tinman, on the other hand (himself indeed a bit of a fan of IH, it seems, but that aside) is really quite humble, always going on like "this is just the way I do it, I'm not saying its THE way to do it" and explaining his thought process. He also includes failures / experiments that didn't turn out well.
Information density is higher, and for someone like me the explanations he provided with the cut-in-half chainsaw were really useful.
I used to enjoy Tinmans videos and thought he was knowagble until I watched him try to explain how to use a chain grinder.

The issue is lack of channels that really know what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back