Is a sprocket upgrade needed to upgrade Stihl MS260 chainsaw from 0.325 to a 3/8 bar and chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl has a full chisel version of the Pico 3/8 called the Pico super (PS). I've tried both the 3/8 and .325 rs pro, not enough difference to justify changing over from .325. You have more teeth to sharpen with .325 but it cuts smoother, especially in small wood.

I think you might have that wrong. 3/8 pitch is 3/8 pitch , LP or standard. Sprocket is the same for both. And as long as you stick to the same gauge, say 050, any 050 bar with a 3/8 nose will work with either LP or standard.
Nope, nope, nope, they are different. You can get by with l p on a standard 3/8 sprocket, it won't be right but will work. but you cannot put regular 3/8 on a lo pro sprocket.

Just did this to my 026 went from 18" .325 .063 to 20" RS 3/8 .050 full skip chisel.
Yes, it pulls the full skip real well in the cut. Also had to change out the rim to 7 tooth mini spline. Change over cost me $126 bar 2 Chains and the rim well worth it.
I could just never understand why Stihl put an 063 gauge drivers on a 48cc saw usually there for the bigger saws.
Anyway, I've had no drag no kickback.
With the 325 063 you can't buy a full skip someone correct me if I'm wrong on that

Nope, nope, nope, they are different. You can get by with l p on a standard 3/8 sprocket, it won't be right but will work. but you cannot put regular 3/8 on a lo pro sprocket.
Yes, my bad mistake. I only use it on my pole saw so that is my (weak) excuse for sprouting nonsense!

Your right I was referring to Stihl chain
I much prefer using Stihl or even Oregon chains but I've been quite impressed with this Forester brand chain. I have a few in different sizes for different saws and they do really well. I think the Stihl chains of the same type hold their sharp longer but with the type of cutting I do I'm more likely to hit a rock or something grown into the tree so having cheaper chains is fine with me. When I'm cutting stuff in the woods vs a fenceline I'll always throw a Stihl chain on.

Latest posts

Back