IS BBR the best logger you've ever seen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You thought Buckin Billy was a bit 'jerky' in the cut? You may be right, IDK. He definitely has some good grinds on his cadenas! He likes to say, "Stand up and buck". That is easy to do when you are not into the dirty wood. I also switch him off when he goes back to the 'house and hat' [ADHD] mode! lol
I'm not big on the uber liberal use of the word "friends".

RegCoates is a pretty skookum channel for the arborist type stuff though, He's not one to overcomplicate stuff, just shows how it is and why.

I've always been impressed with Reg's videos, pics, and comments. The guy clearly knows what he is doing, and it's usually some pretty advanced work.

Haven't read to see if he's been mentioned, but Marcel Levesque is a good place to start, along with loads of people who were/are proficient in the big timber. There are some very skilled fallers here on AS, though.

There's a happy medium between speed & destruction, & taking all ****ing day to put a face into a 2nd growth redwood. One of the aforementioned names here is a hell of a faller, but he takes so ******* long to get a tree down. Yes, you can take your time & save them out to the whispy tip tops, but show me why it's impossible to make all of the same judgements & cuts, achieving the same results, just in 1/3 of the time or less. For a person who takes about God constantly, he sure does get a tad bit sanctimonious when challenged on his pace. Like nobody posing the question could POSSIBLY be better.
I AGREE with you brother! It is funny how some people seem to get a little bit 'sanctimonious' or 'preachy' after they get half a mill. subscribers...and for some reason a persons YT vids seem more humble before they had any significant subscribers, followers, fans, etc...lol ---Stay humble BBR and just drop that f ing stick to the ground, please!! lmao

BBR has a ton of knowledge, but you have to remember that he was in an accident at work that nearly cost him his life when he was 37 years old. He has a video on it, but while he was felling a tree another one 75 feet away from came down on him and he suffered a broken leg and crushed spine and I wouldn't doubt that still affects him to some degree today.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A5D894F918636366A043A5D&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Is Buck n Billy the best logger in PNW? [lol] What do the pro's have to say about his skillset as a logger/faller/Bucker? I'd be interested to hear what they have to say and perhaps critique/compliment his techniques [nevermind his long- winded vids!]. Be safe!
Jed Walters was amazing. Learned a lot from him. It's a shame he died so young though.

I learned a lot about bucking blowdowns when I'd be talking to a logger about it and his eyes would get big and I'd get told to sit down (logs are chairs) and get a good lecture on what I did wrong and then the correct and safer way to cut.

I also volunteered a few times to go cut trees out of trails and worked with some real experts working cross cut saws. You want to learn about tension, compression, etc. , those guys know about it and it can be discussed while the saw is "running". You can also hear what the tree is doing while sawing. However, you can't power through it in a hurry like you can with a chainsaw.

I don't see how you can get that from a video.

I asked a lot of questions too. Always got serious, good answers and advice.

I do not like to fall trees. It's too scary.

He is a good tree cutter. He is smooth on a power saw and knows how to layout the proper sequence of dropping trees. I'm sure he was a good logger too, but his video aren't really logging videos, they're cutting video.

He's overall a good guy and dosen't really have a lot of drama in his life, which makes his channel watchable.

The part I don't like is the preachy parts. But I can turn off the video for that.

Overall, i must say I have learned a few things from the guy, so it's a net benefit for me.

Caveat...I don't really watch much of his video, but I do like when he busts out the old vintage stuff.
Have you learned any new cutting falling tips lately from bbr videos? The reason I ask is he seems all over the place and doesnt stay on topic, or his info is a bit overkill and redundant, and it seems he is a bit more cocky compared to his video's from years past....I suppose 500k subscribers might tend to do that to some people.

Have you learned any new cutting falling tips lately from bbr videos? The reason I ask is he seems all over the place and doesnt stay on topic, or his info is a bit overkill and redundant, and it seems he is a bit more cocky compared to his video's from years past....I suppose 500k subscribers might tend to do that to

Too many guys out there putting food on the table that don't really have time to take videos. I have seen many a man that have been doing this all their lives as a job and could fall a tree centered on a dime. They don't give a crap one way or another if it's staged and they don't brag about it. Taylor Swift has a lot of followers too cause she's a entertainer also.

My father told me from a early age, the best make it to retirement. There's lots of skilled individuals out in the woods, retired, or long ago passed away. Some don't/didn't make the long haul.

68, not as agile or fast, had to slow down. I was never remarkable but, made a living back in the day. Never had to get bones set, got lot of stitches, big ass splinters and a lot of spankings from branches LOL. Still do firewood.

Have you learned any new cutting falling tips lately from bbr videos? The reason I ask is he seems all over the place and doesnt stay on topic, or his info is a bit overkill and redundant, and it seems he is a bit more cocky compared to his video's from years past....I suppose 500k subscribers might tend to do that to some people.
He's all about promoting his latest free stuff, husky gave him a 562 when he hit half a million subs, he hated 60cc saws until he got a free one.
I watch him off and on, I skip through his videos. I was talking about his videos with a friend, we decided there's 3-5 minutes of good content per 30 minute video now.
I started watching him to learn how to rehang an axe better years ago, he stopped doing that, he use to run old big saws, those interest me, he stopped doing that. He tries to sell his special splitting axe for like 400 bucks, it's no better than a 80 dollar fiskars which has warranty, f that axe.

E

He sounds drunk.
[/QUOTE]
He sure is wide awake in this video at 4am. I hope he isn't hitting the powder for his cold air intake or he might due for a rebuild on all of his saws soon! lol STAY HUMBLE, be kind, keep it clean, BBR! :chainsaw:

Too many guys out there putting food on the table that don't really have time to take videos. I have seen many a man that have been doing this all their lives as a job and could fall a tree centered on a dime. They don't give a crap one way or another if it's staged and they don't brag about it. Taylor Swift has a lot of followers too cause she's a entertainer also.

68, not as agile or fast, had to slow down. I was never remarkable but, made a living back in the day. Never had to get bones set, got lot of stitches, big ass splinters and a lot of spankings from branches LOL. Still do firewood.
I bet the worst 'splinters' were from OG DougFir, also. Those things seem to have barbs on them and are hard to get out, the of course an infection starts to kick in and then falling, rigging or setting the choker with one good hand makes for a long day!

Back