is it my choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJohn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking for some opinions here. I been working for the the same company for 3 years. Not to put anyone down but you wont find a better company in the area. Takeing orders and putting up with the daily grind is alot of work and harder than climbing. I have a few people whispering in my ear that I should venture out and try new things along the lines of what I do. Financially its not a problem and I would be better off.

On the other hand I actually have a good side and wouldn't want to bite the hand that been feeding me. I feel as though I owe them. I may be wrong but I feel that if I was to leave I may be better off but will they? Who knows my being there may actually be makeing them money, more money than if I was to leave and be replaced. Is it concieted to think that I would be missed and hard to replace?

Its confusing when your the one in the box. I have to wonder what will be there for me when I really cant get up everymorning and do what I do now? Would they be so quick to say" yo dude what the F?" If you cant do it then you can drag brush and take a pay cut or take a walk down the road? That would be a tough pill to swallow. I feel in the end I will be feel used whle they get rich.

I've seen good people leave and find they had it best where they were. But if you leave on bad terms, you're not coming back.

If you want to find something better, I'd let your employer know so they have a chance to improve your situation. Maybe they actually were thinking of letting you go....it could make them feel better. If they really benefit from your being around, you could get a raise or other bennies.

Ya never know....

BJ where do you want to be 10 years from now? 20?
If you are going to compete with your present employer and want to stay on good terms you have to communicate not as an employee but as a businessman.

Everyone asks themselves that question when you work for someone else,God knows I have.If your not happy and you feel you can do better then go.Go see what you've really got ,good climbers have come and gone in our co.,some I chased off ,some just couldnt handle the pressure of the standards we try to uphold and then of course the boss.Point is dont worry about the company worry about you we will be fine ,after all things are in good hands.
BJ dont get me wrong you would be missed and I dont want to see you leave but I've been through this many times and If your not happy where you are then you arnt doing anybody anygood especially yourself.

John,

What is the value of you being in charge of creating your life anyway you want it. It is all an illusion, and reality validates the possibility to creat any illusion you can come up with.

Remove the doubt by doubting doubt, you are in the position of creator, make it up.

How can your talents still be of value to the co. if you leave the possibillity of them using you as a contract climber? Or something like that.

Jack

we dont use contract climbers ,working for someone else sometimes means doing things their way even when you dont agree ,that can sometimes be a hard pill to swallow.

one things certain bj if you dont do it youl never know,no way would i work for ANY tree co,made enough people $$$.the real test is leaving your crew and see how good you really are then,if your not prepared to be the front man stay where you are, just ask for more.IMO

I never said I am not happy. I fun where I am and work for the best. I just see it as a pitfall. I am like a piece of equipment that does a certain job and when I out live my usefullness I will be put out. I have nothing invested. A company will grow and I will not. Like the saying goes the town isnt big enough for the two of us. Where I am I have nothing to work towards. Climber is as high as the ladder goes. I have no other skills that would fund my life.

IMO a good employee owes his or her employer little. Think of the income difference between the fellas at the top and your position as a climber John. They make as much money as they do in exchange for the stresses and risks of operating a business. One of those risks is losing good employees. If you've always made money for the company and haven't caused any enormous losses then the company owes more to you than you owe them.

I personally would love to have my own business but I don't feel I have the capacity for stress or commitment just yet. I know that owning business can be a lot of hassle and stress...my dad had a successful business for years...but I think it must be awfully nice to call your own shots.

same

Hey BJ. Can you run a crew? Have a cdl? any certificates on education in arborculture? know cpr? good at chainsaw/chipper/stump grinder repair? great attitude? willingness to work long hours? honest? responsible? no criminal record? know your weights? not accident prone? all these are things to GET or WORK on. Most companies don't want turnaround help. Problem is most help don't look out for the company. Your highway goes both directions. Can you bid for your employer? most times the employee starts slacking off, but the employee is not expected to deliver less, thats the employees job. I know thats not allways the case. But if you had a majority of these attributes your boss would be a fool to let you go. I suggest you talk to him and look for ways to make his company better (easier,smarter,more profit) and then if after a while you get nothing give your 2 week notice. (2wks gives you good graces incase you need to return) I sincerly hope I have helped you with your delima. I wish you the best. Reguards trzz.

Your not just a climber you are a crew leader,I think you need to think on that a little,when your production years are behind you will you be able to lead others in their production?Do you do that now?Does the way you preform your job help others to get better by following your example ?Do you just go for the gusto every chance you get taking the piece as big as you can without thinking of what your crew is going to have to go through just to get it to the ground.
What I am saying is there is more to it to get the respect you crave being able to do removals ,your right only gets you so far,so the question is what do you want?do you want to be in a"pitfall",do you want to try it on your own,or do you want to become a better asset to the company and earn the respect your after?

"Can you run a crew? Have a cdl? any certificates on education in arborculture? know cpr? good at chainsaw/chipper/stump grinder repair? great attitude? willingness to work long hours? honest? responsible? no criminal record? know your weights? not accident prone? all these are things to GET or WORK on."

This about sums it up.....

I was laid off/let go because I enrolled in school during the off season. Two years later I'm selfemployed and strugling, but last last few weeks I pocketed 4 or 5 times what my wages did at the other place...its a rolercoster but its fun & I'm love'n it( its a comitment to your self)
I was exactly where you are BJ, exactly, from what you post I can tell you have integity.
Now my ex boss is deveous tward me but I gave him all I could, I realy did, untill my self improvement got in his way ie. higher ED. We have gon our seperate ways now.
If you want more its not free. count the cost! carfully.
this is me now!

In no way do I ever want a truck, chipper and buisness. I would like to know that theres a place for me when its all over and not a retirement home being taken care of. Theres no money at the end of the week to think about putting away for retirement or raniny days. What little money left over get reinvested in comforts for the job such as boots, clothes and gear. I'm tired of working the way I do takeing the risks that I personally take then haveing to drive home in my uninsured jalopy to little fishing shanty in the hood. I would think a so so climber like myself should be doing better for himself.

what got me thinking is when I opened my paycheck last night. I don't usually get 40 hour checks. If I am off a day its usually less but for a full week its always more. One night this week I worked late then on the way home from got stuck in traffic for two hours. But anyway for a full week of work the gross was not more than what I get for two days subbing. The take home was what I get for one day subbing. I gave up subbing for the most part so I wouldn't get burned out and could perform better at my REAL job.

My check this week is light I believe because I was rigging some small sapplings on a bank when the boss showed up. This setup was one my coworker did all on his own which I was told to let him do some things by himself. It wasnt pretty but works. Right off I start getting the attitude from the boss.

I proceed to set a line for next group. I put a lind 40 feet up in a poplar to lower off a 25 30 foot sappling. The trees are right next to poplar. If you know your job you can tie these off balanced or just slightly tip heavy and over they come but they end up way up off the ground away from everything. No weight to hold.

I was told I needed to set the rope 30 feet higher and tip tie them. So I said fine no problem I guess I am just an f'ing idiot and have no idea what I am doing. We did it that way and it works but its much more work requires you have climb the little bean pole and take it in two do to stretch.

It was said that my way isn't good enough cause how do I know where the balance is? Well its my job to know. This is something I practice everyday. Not with every piece but alot. Balance is great tool if you can train yourself to do it.

But anyway because of this disagreement my check was a little light.

Working for someone can be the pits, but it is usually steady and can become mindless after a while. It is discouraging to make $$ for someone else and see them driving new cars/trucks and coming and going as they please. The other side of that is going on your own means a whole lot more responsibility. You can't blame the company for a crappy day, since you are the company. Think a lot depends on the competition around your area also. If there is a lot of other companies or contract climbers and is there enough work to go around? My dad used to say the grass is always greener on the other side until you get there and see all the weeds.
A very tough decision to make, I have been through it myself a few times and it does not get easier to do. Good luck.

you might get more headaches going on your own, but least they'll be your headaches that you can deal with as you see fit.

Trust your gut felling, it will not let you down. To be on the safe side, don't burn any bridges. ;)

Back