Is Stihl strato charged MS362 almost as good as plain MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After considerable reading here, I was ready to buy Stihl MS361 only to find out that they have now been replaced with strato charged green version (MS362). I really enjoyed the thread Brad did on moding the 362, although I don't plan to mod the saw. I would like for it to have good overall reliability, start reliably, have good vibration damping, and not have a catalytic converter muffler. I live in a rural area, and the nearest town or dealer is nearly 30 miles away, so interested in finding a good workshop manual.

I have also read that there is a MS361CQ version with a brake option that may still have a few available from distribution. Is this Q brake option a good one to have or just more things to go wrong?

Yes, I like the idea of a low pollution saw IF it will be a reliable saw and I guess the payback on better gas consumption would soon pay for the extra $50 or so over the standard MS361 if it were still available.

I saw an earlier survey back in Sept that preferred the 361 over the 362 by approx 50:22 before the MS362 was available. Is that still the experienced sentiment here or is the risk lower now that the saw has been in use for a few months? Can the strato saws be as good as the saws they replace? I don't like being a guinea pig for new designs, but this one seems similar to the MS441 design.

Guess the current choice is between the MS361CQ or MS362 (or keep hunting for a new MS361). Planning to order with 18 or 20 inch bar for primarily cutting dead and down hardwood (Oak) on 75 acres for heating. All comments or suggestions appreciated as all work will be done with a single saw.

Hello and welcome to the site! CAD (chainsaw addiction disorder) will find you soon enough. You will have a collection of saws before its over.

Yes 361 is very good saw, so is 362. 362 will be better all around but the 361 will work for you also. Depends if you want the strato engine or not a a few extra horses.

I LOVE my 361. I had a 290 farm boss that I sold to a buddy (30 y/o poulans took a dump) and the 361 is just better in every way. I have 20 inch bar on mine with both chains (RS/RSC). I would get both if I was you 2 of each MINIMUM. RS is good cutting dirty wood, RSC is good in clean wood. RS will stay sharper longer in dirty wood than rsc will.

Here is a video of MY 361.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq6TpchlSmI

and RPM's on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy1iHgEsSy0

I have cut 30 inch logs with it without a problem.

I would get a second saw even just a small one incase you get this one jammed up, can free it easily.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

:arg: SORRY.
But I want to grasp the strato engine!
What is it in a nut shell compared to non strato, never ran or seen a strato engine saw!:confused:

:arg: SORRY.
But I want to grasp the strato engine!
What is it in a nut shell compared to non strato, never ran or seen a strato engine saw!:confused:

A little puff of air goes into the transfers and when the piston comes down and forces everything up into the combustion chamber that air pushes out the spent charge.

I think they show it in motion on Stihl's website, and you could do a search on here..

By several accounts the 362 is better than the 361. I hope the 362 doesn't follow the same path on this forum as the 441 has, where it has taken several years for it to prove that the strato saws are truly efficient wood cutting machines in stock form and when modded that are very, very nice machines to operate.

I have the 361 and 441, and I love them both, I don't want or need any other saws in these sizes ............ but I might be looking for an excuse to snag a 362 and have it ported just in case I change my mind, LOL.

I say get the 362, it new sure, but the techno behind it is thoroughly proven, tried and true.

The 361 is a great saw, if you got that one you wouldn't be sorry, but again, Stihl has a pretty good reputation for outproducing itself in these sizes of pro saws, so I don't know why for just a few bucks more you wouldn't get the newer saw in the 362.

My opinion, your money,

Sam

If not modding, then go with the 362. It should be a little stronger stock than the 361. You'll have improved AV, better air filtration, and better fuel economy as well. It's an uber smooth cutting saw!

Last edited:
If not modding, the go with the 362. It should be a little stronger stock than the 361. You'll have improved AV, better air filtration, and better fuel economy as well. It's an uber smooth cutting saw!

Brad, why the no modding vote for the 362?

Sam

If not modding, then go with the 362. It should be a little stronger stock than the 361. You'll have improved AV, better air filtration, and better fuel economy as well. It's an uber smooth cutting saw!

The 362 is heavier though, so I guess it is not as nimble as the 361 for libing etc......?

I have also read that there is a MS361CQ version with a brake option that may still have a few available from distribution. Is this Q brake option a good one to have or just more things to go wrong?

The Q brake is something to avoid!

It is one more thing that could go wrong, and could even be dangerous if you are accostumed to it, and it suddenly fails to work.......:jawdrop:

It also adds a tad of weight, but you probably won't notise that.

Last edited:
josh,

these are the same chains. the rsc is slightly updated for less vibration. i think you mean rm, which is the semi-chisel.

good info as I just started switching to Stihl chain and now from full to semi chisel and I thought something sounded off with that but I'm not yet familiar with Stihl terminology, thanks

Back