Is Stihl the Toyota of the Chainsaw World?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tdi-rick

tdi-rick

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yep, Stihl owners are a lot like Land Cruiser or Hilux (Lolux ?) owners, nothing else exists or is as good in their eyes. :potstir:

Hell, I've even had Hilux owners tell me how reliable their utes are compared to anything else, they've never had to do anything to them (if you don't include several fuel pumps, two clutches, one gearbox and that t/case leak....) :D

MacLaren

MacLaren

Addicted to ArboristSite
Can't recall the throttle ever sticking on any of my Stihls....

Oh...really? Dadgone Guido, I hate to hear that ole buddy. Ya know that really did Toyota in didnt it? Everyone has an opinion Guido. Even HBRN, which IMHO,is a good ole boy. He sure didnt deserve that raking over the coals you gave him....IMO....

Last edited:
SkippyKtm

SkippyKtm

The Lorax, my FIL rip...
Connecticut/Mass has got to be the exception to the rule, because I find it easier to get top dollar for a Husky over a Stihl. 372's and 346's are like gold around here, The MS440/044 doesn't sell so well, I usually have to resort to ebay for those, However the MS460 does good around here, I 'd say its about as popular as the 372, the 066/660 are considered too big by most, so they usually have to go to ebay as well to fetch decent dinero.

WoodChuck'r
Some make it their main lot in life to "come out even" or "make a profit" on everything. I never got it, and I prolly never will.

There really is more to life than money. Can't take it with ya when ya keel over. Might as well enjoy life instead of trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Go broke get back, then do it again....

Years ago when I worked at a ski resort we used to throw pennies in snow of the ramp where the skiers would load on to the chairlift. You'd be amazed at how many people would get knocked over trying to pick a penny out of the snow with their gloves on. They'd get knocked down, they'd drop their poles, their skis would both pop off. You'd have to stop the lift and help them up, it was great. Boy does it ever embarrass the person who gets knocked down. Never even got their precious penny either. Serves them right for being a cheap frugal penny pincher. Buncha cheap morons gettin' knocked over tryin' to pick up a brown, it's pathetic.

They're the same people that go to the register at McDonalds and complain because their medium order of fries was 6 fries short. They also save everything in their garage and don't throw anything away - "No don't throw that away! That's worth money!", when yet the spoke wheel cover from their 1986 caprice that they're talking is worth about $0.15, they never sell it anyways, lol. I love it when people have a garage sale. You look through their garbage and see a box of old mason jars - they've got it marked "$65" because "them are antiques!"

It's more of a lifestyle than it is just about chainsaws and cars. "Gotta get exactly if not more than what I got into it." Why..? Who cares. My time is worth more than the few extra dollars I would have to work my nuts off at prying out of someone.

Those frugal tight @$$ people drive me nuts, lol.....

MacLaren

MacLaren

Addicted to ArboristSite
Me too, except they are slow, vibrate like pigs, overpriced and have the cult following of posers... executive bikers to executive loggers, and somewhere in the mix there are some real deals:hmm3grin2orange:

Damn, that was funny Gink. I dont care who ya are.....Good one......and I'm not the real by a long shot and own a Stihl, thats pretty good man! :biggrin:

komatsuvarna

komatsuvarna

Arboristsite MVP
Nothing wrong with buying quality, but buying the high priced stuff because it sells better never made any sence to me. You give a hundred dollars more for it now, and might get that hundred back when you sell it.....probably not all of it though.

WoodChuck'r
Man, at the end of the day.....its a chainsaw.

I wish all the frugal money hungry retards in this world we live in would see it that way.

At the end of the day, it's life. Not to some though - some think "At the end of the day, it's money, and I gotta get ahead". Greedy pricks....

Why money is so important to some I have no clue. I get that money is all this country is about - but a lot of people take it too far. Sacrificing their own and the safety of others to pick up a penny out of the snow is a perfect example of what I am talking about....

I'm not suggesting that one buys a brand new 460, runs 2 tanks through it, then sells it for $200. But there is practicality in the price of used items. Some just think their stuff is worth so damn much. They try to get way more than they would pay for whatever it is they're selling and that's just farking absurd.

Then again, if someone has a brand new 460 with only two tanks through it and wants to sell it for only $200, lemme know first would ya. :)

Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1

ArboristSite Operative
To me I wouldn't insult a Stihl by caling it the Toyota of the chainsaw world, at worst I'd call it a Dodge. I like to Look at Stihl as the Ford's and Husky as the Chevy's, both are excellent truck and saws but I prefer Stihl's and Fords.

Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Any time I see money when I am running I pick it up. Pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, dollars, it does not matter. And I do not limit it to money. I have gotten hammers, hand saws, cell phones, a slow moving vehicle sign, wrenches, screwdrivers, new oil filters, a chain binder and many other items. Does that make me a "frugal money hungry retard"?

Rudolf73

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite
No matter how you compare Stihl to other brands, they have a achieved something which is very rare in the business world - Stihl is the number one selling saw brand and is also the most expensive brand.

I think a good comparison would also be... Stihl is the John Deere of the chainsaw world.

Somesawguy

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
No matter how you compare Stihl to other brands, they have a achieved something which is very rare in the business world - Stihl is the number one selling saw brand and is also the most expensive brand.

I think a good comparison would also be... Stihl is the John Deere of the chainsaw world.

That may be true, but I don't know much about John Deere tractors. I hear they are good, but I've never owned one. :msp_smile:

Rudolf73

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite
That may be true, but I don't know much about John Deere tractors. I hear they are good, but I've never owned one. :msp_smile:

John Deere is similar to Toyota I would say... good quality reliable product, higher priced but have a good resale value and they stand behind their product.

Last edited:
Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
I never understood why people get so hung up on brand loyalty. Maybe they just want people to validate the choices they've made and confirm their superior shopping prowess. These are corporations - you pay them money for the product they make - you don't have to advertise for them or promote them, at least if you do you should get something for it. There are some companies that make products with designs and characteristics that appeal to me more than others, but that doesn't mean they're infallible or that other brands aren't decent too.

And all the mythical properties that get bestowed on brands - take Toyota. They make some decent products, and some lemons too. How about all those pickups that had the frames rot out? I've done a lot of work on cars, and they're all just machines. They way they are built and the way they work is all remarkably similar.

Same with saws - for saws of a given size and time of manufacture, there's a lot more that's similar than there is that's different. They all cut wood, for the most part given decent chains and proper tuning pretty well too.

But maybe there's a good comparison between Toyota and Sthil. Toyota did well selling the same kind of products everyone else did, but at a premium price. Now they're losing market share fast to companies like Ford and Hyundai, because they offered more for the money than a name, and Toyota got exposed as having some quality problems too. I've said before that Stihl is vulnerable in the same way - and to some extent Husqvarna too, although they've got the low end as well.

Latest posts