Is the Stihl 090 still made in Brazil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
I have heard the Stihl 090 is still made and is available in Brazil. Well, since I happen to be in Brazil at the moment I decided to check it out. I know very little Portuguese so I had a friend inquire of a couple dealers and he was told the largest saw available is the MS660. I'm not saying that is the end of the story but that is what I've found out from being here. Now maybe that's all they can get from their distributor or whatever but those are my findings.

I have heard the Stihl 090 is still made and is available in Brazil. Well, since I happen to be in Brazil at the moment I decided to check it out. I know very little Portuguese so I had a friend inquire of a couple dealers and he was told the largest saw available is the MS660. I'm not saying that is the end of the story but that is what I've found out from being here. Now maybe that's all they can get from their distributor or whatever but those are my findings.
did you go there just for that reason?

I believe that the only 090s being made now are being made in China (knock off or real, I do not know). Gyppo Logger supposedly bought the last one sold in North America up in Canada (according to an old thread here on AS if I recall right). There may still be some 090s on some shelves in Brazil though. I know there were several left on shelves in Australia up until last year (really spendy saws there though).

But they are definitely still making and selling the 361 down there in Brazil!

Last edited:
I'd say yeah to the 'still on shelves'. A guy snagged a NOS 090 last year in new zealand and it was like nearly $5k or something :-(

I had some friends in the phillipines look around for me over there, even called some of the smaller dealers out in the sticks for me and everyone said the same thing, none left. Same story in malaysia, there are some used ones out there, but nothing new. probably could find some NOS, but $$$$

I do not know about the knock off but a real 090 is freakn' unreal! Power is all about and almost scary! Love that thing!,

I'd say yeah to the 'still on shelves'. A guy snagged a NOS 090 last year in new zealand and it was like nearly $5k or something :-(

I read about that saw. Some guy bought it new in NZ and had it up for sale for some huge money on this site or another one. I have shipped a lot of saws down under and prices have always been way better stateside, especially when the Aussie dollar was up to $1.20 US. Now its flipped back down to 94 cents US again. There is a guy around here near me that has what he calls a 'museum quality' used 090 on Ebay for 4 grand. That has been sitting there for almost a year now. He is the same idiot that puts 25 inch bars on MS192 saws on Ebay. Calls his business TarzanZipLines.

An 090 was recently listed in Oz on Ebay there that said it only had 40 hours on it. It sold for just under $1,200 AUD. It had a 3' and 5' bar with it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stihl-09...5&hash=item19e25e579a&clk_rvr_id=544856789136

The last time I have "bullet proof" info from is around 2005, and then both the 070 and the 090 were made in Germany, not in Brazil like the other old models still made (08S, 051, 076, MS381).

The current MS720 basically is the 070, but I don't know where it is made.

just ordered a 090 cylinder kit from my dealer, not cheap but i was glad it was still available.

my dealer was told that the 090av is still being made in germany, for brazil, africa etc. all parts are still available expect for the complete saw..

How easy is one of the made in China knock off 070 / 090 to be sold as a genuine Stihl 070 / 090?

Is there a distince way of telling the two apart (original vs knock off)?

Thanks

The last time I have "bullet proof" info from is around 2005, and then both the 070 and the 090 were made in Germany, not in Brazil like the other old models still made (08S, 051, 076, MS381).

The current MS720 basically is the 070, but I don't know where it is made.

Proberly dear old China

Latest posts

Back