Is the Stihl 441 more popular than the 460? Sure seems like it here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 460, and would rather use it than the 441. The 460 is a solid, reliable machine.

Here is my experience: I got a 441 when they first came out. I had the wrap model; about the only way they come here. I had a lot of problems with it, including hard starting, idling problems, and what felt like really loose AV springs. I bought it at one of the biggest logging shops in the NW, so the folks really knew what they were doing there. I had it back to the shop more than a few times. I finally gave up on it about a year later.

I've read here how much some folks really love them, including some reputable hard working loggers on this site. That same shop that I bought my 441 at a few years back refuses to even carry the 441 in stock today, and they move a LOT of Stihl and Husky saws. I trust them. The other big shop that I go to carries them, but steers me away from the 441 due to problems they've had. For this reason I haven't picked another one up.

Why the big difference of opinion? Maybe the first year or two Stihl hadn't worked the bugs out. Maybe here in the mountains the altitude changes cause problems with them, and that rep lingers today. I love my big Huskies, and was initially excited about the 441. Here's what may move people towards them again.

The 440 is long gone, the 372XP/XPW is recently gone with the non-strato engine, and the bigger Dolmars are getting very expensive. The 460 is a fine saw, but bothers some (me included) after using them all day as they are not as comfortable to use as a 372/7300/7900/441. The jury is out on the new 372's engine, so we'll see how that goes.

Please supply the name of the Stihl dealer who refuses to stock the MS441. Thx.

I installed the heavy duty spring kit in my 441 and I feel I can cut more accurately with it now. I would recommend it for long bar users.

I like my 441. It is somewhat hard to start if it hasn't been run for a month. I did get it a year ago for 783 dollars with tax though.

I liked the 441. Decent power with good anti-vibration along with good fuel economy, and great air filtration. Just a newer saw with newer technology.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/77VlUe_Ego8" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

I'm a power junky, and I don't find the 441 low on power at all. I also have no issues with the vibes of a 460. They're both great saws.

The 440 in this vid has a 460 topend.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/chAy9EkbeVQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

I've never ran a 440, 441, or 460. I do recall that when the 441 came out a lot of members here were not happy with the MS441 compared to the MS440.

I have never run a 440, 460, 046 etc., etc. I do know, however, that my 441 did a fine job on a 30-inch ash this weekend. I think that like lots of discussions on this forum, it is splitting hairs deciding which one is the best. Three different people are going to handle each saw differently and have a different opinion about each one.

For what they cost, all new saws should perform well.

I have and semi regularly run a 441 and my 066. As for the AV well the 441 SUCKS. maybe its car wreck ordeal has a lot to do with that. for power to weight i dont much care. it sat for a year before i bought it. It started in 5 pulls. if i had run a 440/044/046/460 i would give an opinion on it. myself im very happy with the strato saw.

I installed the heavy duty spring kit in my 441 and I feel I can cut more accurately with it now. I would recommend it for long bar users.

I do not want to get any dealers in trouble; I was once a channel manager myself. I PM'd you some specifics.

From personal experience, the 441 was not ready for prime time when it first came out. That soured some folks on it, myself included. Since then, I picked up a 372XPW and have been using those. Just got one of the last ones at the end of last year. When the XPW's get tired, maybe I'll take another look at the 441, or perhaps a 461 if those exist. Lots if reputable people here are reporting good results with 441's now, so I gather that Stihl has worked out many of the bugs.

As more and more saws go strato, the 441 doesn't look quite so big. The tech is also getting better, as the 261 doesn't look or feel much bigger than a 260 from a subjective side by side comparison.

Question: Does the heavy duty spring kit come on all new 441's, or just the wrap model, or is it always an add on option?

I have never run a 440, 460, 046 etc., etc. I do know, however, that my 441 did a fine job on a 30-inch ash this weekend. I think that like lots of discussions on this forum, it is splitting hairs deciding which one is the best. Three different people are going to handle each saw differently and have a different opinion about each one.

For what they cost, all new saws should perform well.

Nice summary, will rep ya!

I do not want to get any dealers in trouble; I was once a channel manager myself. I PM'd you some specifics.

From personal experience, the 441 was not ready for prime time when it first came out. That soured some folks on it, myself included. Since then, I picked up a 372XPW and have been using those. Just got one of the last ones at the end of last year. When the XPW's get tired, maybe I'll take another look at the 441, or perhaps a 461 if those exist. Lots if reputable people here are reporting good results with 441's now, so I gather that Stihl has worked out many of the bugs.

As more and more saws go strato, the 441 doesn't look quite so big. The tech is also getting better, as the 261 doesn't look or feel much bigger than a 260 from a subjective side by side comparison.

Question: Does the heavy duty spring kit come on all new 441's, or just the wrap model, or is it always an add on option?

I can confirm the reluctance of NW stihl dealers to recommended the 441. I had the same experience....ended up with a 460. this was about a year and a half ago. maybe things have changed. I wish I would have known about the stiffer springs when I had my 361...traded it in after a month because of the vague mushy feeling... I cant imagine being more satisfied working with a saw than with a well done "woods ported" 460 or 440.... Just for kicks I threw on a 36" bar n chain (square grind full skip, with 7 pin) on my 440 (treesling'r ported) a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe how well it pulled buried in 40" plus fir... I wouldn't use it on a daily basis for that size of wood, but was surprised that it didn't fall on its face with 36" buried.. My 460 (again treesling'r modded) consistently wore a 36" and had plenty of torque to pull it all day...
Are there guys here that cut for a living that are using the 441 in the woods?
I'm curious to see how much Stihl has learned from the 441 when the 461 comes out...

My local dealer doesn't stock the 441, either. He will push you towards one of the 460's he has in stock long before you make him order a 441.

I ran an 046mag for quite some time off and on. Then, I recently had to clear land with 4-5' trees here and there. I love the power, but after several 5 hour days the vibration does make my right hand stiff. I used a bud's XPW that recently switched to it from a 460 for a 5 hour day buried in 3' pine we were bucking and it made me put my 046 up for sale at the local saw shop the next day. I now run a 372xp for most everything. I loved the power of that 046(I recently put a new top end on it, and with a DP felt every inch of 6hp or more), but the 372 is close enough in pine, weighs a tad less(but not anywhere near as close as the stats suggest, still it is noticeable), I think it handles a bit better and is more comfortable in the hand, and has far better AV. Still, I wouldn't hesitate using an ms460 for a job, I just would prefer my 372 is all. They are both absolutely great saws.

My dealer doesn't have the 441 either, but does have the 460. (But then, he doesn't have a lot of the newer saws: 261, 271, 291, etc.) I'd be happy to have either the 441 or the 460, though if I was buying new I would probably steer toward the 460 for the extra power. It will be interesting to see what the eventual 461 is like (and the 661 for that matter). The extra weight of the strato saws seems less significant on the bigger saws.

I have an 046 and a 440. I like both saws a lot. i havent run the 440 much but it has a great feel to it. the 046 has balls but is also kinda heavy. I modded the muffler on my 440 the other night so im curious to see how it cuts now. i think you cant go wrong with either saw......

441 lame higher technology vs 460. Smaller saw, same weight, less HP!

Newer technology in the wrong areas unless you log for a living. I don't worry about how much gas I use in my chainsaws... weak area of concern for most, important if you are worried about global warming I guess.

Lets review 441's claimed higher technology: 441 is smaller in CC's and HP (.5 HP less) than the 460 yet still weighs the same. If your really that concerned about vibration, you're better suited for an electric saw. :msp_wink:

Back