Is there a difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anynamewilldo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a difference with big box stores and dealers? I understand that a good dealer is hard to find. That got me wondering while I was at one today.

I know EX. Deers sold at say lowes have different models than a dealer and it seems that they are built better, so is it the same with saws?

I believe the pro saws are dealer only

(EX husky rancher 455 is sold locally and at the big stores.)

Yes. Dealers are definitely better. Better parts support, will actually work on what they sell, more knowledgeable, better job of setting the product up, etc. As far as the saws themselves it's hard to say sometimes. Quite typically like on an ECHO for example they have a separate series of serial numbers at the box stores. They say it's just to identify how the saw was packaged, but when I used to sell ECHOs at a dealership I compared some of our units with the Home Depot units that sometimes came in for service. On a pair of CS-370s one time I really looked em over good. There were some very suttle differences. For example the part number on the black air cleaner cover on our 370 was one number different than the cover on the Home Depot saw and the plastic on the HD model seemed a little more flimsy and the quality of the finish on the plastic was not as uniform on the HD model. . I've also noticed on box store ECHOs that sometimes the decals and stickers might be placed crookedly or sometimes missing all together like the "STOP" sticker by the switch on a few 370s, 440s etc. It also seemed to me that screws and other fasteners on the HD models never seemed to tighten properly or securely. We also had a technician that swore he weighed two comparable models completely dry one time and the Home Depot model weighed 4 or 5 onces less than ours. Now are these intentional design differences, do the box store saws get set up by lower quality assembly people, or was it just a matter of coincidence? Anyway would you rather buy a saw from a 17 year old kid who doesn't know crap and works 8 or 10 hours a week at Lowe's or Home Depot? Or from a guy at a dealership who has sold saws for 15 or 20 years, who is certified by the manufacturer, who will let you put fluids in the saw and try before you buy, and who hopefully if asked properly be able to work out a special deal for you?

It should be as Adam says. Better information, setup, repairs, parts, etc. when buying from a dealer. Unfortunately, in my area, and I believe in many others, a good dealer is very hard to find. In my experience, saws, ATVs, or any other OPE, the best place to by is where you can take the product home in the original box or crate before they "set it up" (screw it up) for you. Rarely have I gone to a local dealer and purchased the parts that I need. They don't have that in stock, have to order it. I have to pay more, wait longer, and drive further than if I had just ordered the thing online.

If you are fortunate enough to have a good competent dealer, give him your business and help to keep him around. IMHO, they are a dying breed.

I did buy a Cub Cadet riding mower from a local dealer who I watched set it up for me. He was very friendly and took the time to try to get everything right. I would call him a good dealer, but even then I still had to re-adjust the deck and engine RPM. The only OPE dealer in my experience that I would go back to.

Good point GitWood. I suppose some of us are probably pretty fortunate to have a few good and reputable dealers fairly close by. If I didn't have an option of a good dealer I would probably do what you said and make sure to set the product up myself, BUT I would still buy the packaged product from the nearest dealer over a boxstore even if the dealer wasn't too great. JUST to make sure if the dealer product is better I would have the better one. Good luck to you all.

Latest posts

Back