Is this a scam?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So two posts by the same guy - EXACT same wording... seems to be too good to be true.

That or he's selling stolen property?

http://madison.craigslist.org/grd/910809676.html

This saw has been use nless than 30 minutes. Nothing wrong, just need the money. The price is great and the saw is almost new.

and the second one...
http://madison.craigslist.org/grd/910822014.html

Like new saw with less than 30 minutes of use. I need the money mor than the saw. The price is right and the saw is lke new. Call if you have any questions.

The poulan looks bigger than a 33cc saw... and the stuff on Ebay and amazon show a much different saw..with only a 14" bar.

Thoughts?:monkey:

Last edited:
The green one is NOT a PP3314. It is old enough that it doesnt have a chain brake on it. Might be a good deal, if it is stolen or not is questionable. Probably in the 60 - 70 cc's range.

The second one looks like the new Titanium model. I forget where I seen it at but they were 42 or 46 cc's with antivibe.

Both of them probably came off the back of a starving wood cutters truck. Like any other good deals on CL they go prety quickly.

Last edited:
Yeah, he isn't on the up and up. I'd look the saws over pretty close and make my own judgements about their usablity and remainung life left.

You can be pretty sure you are going to be lied to. Of course they could have come out of a widows tool shed he cleaned out and have seen little use except for comfort wood or the occasional blowdown in the owners yard.

Pull the mufflers and look for scoring in the cylinder to be sure they havent been lean seized or straight gassed. If they run shoot him a low offer if either looks like something you can use of is better than what you are running.

:cheers:

I have a Troy Built version of the second saw.

I got it new at the Tractor Supply. I saw it on sale when I went to pick up my US Stove Co. 1557. It caught my eye and was new for $50. Came in a nice case all the paper work and all..So thinking I got a deal and not hoping for much from the saw I took it home.. This was my first saw and it seem well set up for firewood cutting.

Well after about 10 hours or so I was happy with it. Seemed to have enough power for me. I was having to replace the pull rope every other time I pulled it. Ether it broke when I pulled it or it would just fall off it the woods. Lost lots of time looking for the handle!! Anyway after about 20 hours it stopped oiling. Me not knowing what was going on I ruined a bar and chain before my farther inlaw ( a logger) looked at it for me.

So determined not to let this thing beat me I found out it was a MTD and ordered a new starter assembly. That took care of the rope breaking. Now my father inlaw is telling me to buy a Oregon bar and chain so off the Lowes I go got a 20in bar and safety chain combo for it. That's how I found out about 3/8 and .325 :) So then I got a Oregon hub and a 8 tooth sprocket for it. I had to get a bushing so the hub would fit the shaft..

It was fun would I buy another MTD NO WAY!!!

I am now very happy with my little Stihl MS 290..I did get to learn alot tho..

O and now back to my point. I would pass on a used $80 MTD... It was not worth $50 new..

Good luck...

Back