Is this Black Locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Don't know what this tree is: It was probably 26" dia. 30' tall. Big long black seed pods laying under it. Harder then heck to cut and dulled plenty chains. Very heavy wood also. I'm thinking black locust because there was one right next to it. But what throws me off is that the one next to it had thorns on the new growth. This tree had no thorns at all. It was a mess of a tree with tons of branches.. It doesn't split worth a crap either. Some kind of elm maybe? Here's a couple pics of the wood!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
A thornless honey locust then? There are a lot of honey locust around, but smaller, way smaller. They have tons of thorns though and I evacuate them asap from the area.

Looks like some sort of elm. For sure not locust (Black).

Doesn't even look like any honey locust. The heartwood is not like any locust I've seen.

The wood sure looks like some species of maple - very light wood and dark heart. The seedpods on the ground are likely from the black locust next to it. It would be tough to ID this one without a better picture of the bark, and maybe a picture of whatever leaves you could find near it. Generally, though, maple's not hard to cut and wouldn't dull chains appreciably unless it was frozen solid. I have a 30" dia. sugar maple log sitting on my sawmill and I am NOT looking forward to sawing it frozen.

Bark doesn't match honeylocust. Honeylocust has a scaly bark. My guess is elm. You didn't happen to cut a live red elm did you?

We cut a few dead ones up last weekend. All of them were under 12" dbh. Some were 6" dbh but all were dead.

Don

I concur that it is likely not Black or Honey Locust.

I have not noticed clean Locust dulling chains any faster than clean White Oak.

I have not been around Elm in many, many years. The bark and heartwood in your pics remind me of Pignut Hickory. I do know Pignut is tough.

There was some elm leaves under the tree. But there was also maple and oak from the other trees around there. I didn't see any maple seeds under the tree as they are "helicopter" seeds.

It would be hard to believe that these long black seed pods dropped directly below this tree from the other black locust tree. It was 8' away and there wasn't many seed pods under it....

look's like elm to me, i had a removal job this past summer and when split was stringy like that, dark in center.

Steve: The seed pods must have come from the other tree and blew under it or something. But black locust bark doesn't look like that stuff.

Back