Is this Black Locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was some elm leaves under the tree. But there was also maple and oak from the other trees around there. I didn't see any maple seeds under the tree as they are "helicopter" seeds.

It would be hard to believe that these long black seed pods dropped directly below this tree from the other black locust tree. It was 8' away and there wasn't many seed pods under it....

Were there any seed pods still hanging on the tree? Some always seem to hang on and make it through the winter on the Black Locust here in town.

Not sure what it is, but it does not look like any of the Locust varieties that I am familiar with.

I will put my money on a Catalpa tree .

2382129988_3656ebe4fb.jpg

Perhaps Mulberry! That's what Constrictor thinks. And I just googled it and pictures of mulberry leaves are some what similar to elm. Mulberry is also stringy to split. Which this was. There was also tons of brush. YUCK!

So the seed pods came from the tree next to it which was black locust. Leaves under the tree looked like elm, but could be mulberry.

It's an elmberry!!!!

Perhaps Mulberry! That's what Constrictor thinks. And I just googled it and pictures of mulberry leaves are some what similar to elm. Mulberry is also stringy to split. Which this was. There was also tons of brush. YUCK!

So the seed pods came from the tree next to it which was black locust. Leaves under the tree looked like elm, but could be mulberry.

It's an elmberry!!!!

Mulberry is orange...Split easy when DRY...

i know in dryden we have no mulberry, this is the elm we cut down, and the pic from the first post as a reference, look's the same to me.
attachment.php
attachment.php

The dark center is what makes me lean towards Hickory...Hickory smells good when cutting..Elm has a smell all to its own, not pretty...

The dark center is what makes me lean towards Hickory...Hickory smells good when cutting..Elm has a smell all to its own, not pretty...

It's not hickory. We cut one of them down today and this didn't smell like it at all.

It's either Elm, Mulberry, or Catalpa!

The black locust that I have cut has a green look to it and the honey locust that I have cut has an orange look to it. The bark is all wrong for a honey locust. My guess would be elm and it's only a guess.

I don't know WHAT it is but I'm pretty sure that it isn't Locust (Black or Honey) or Mulberry. I don't get any Elm around here, and since it didn't look familiar to me perhaps it IS Elm. Hickory would've been very heavy when green and probably would've smelled like manure when split. I hope that you can get an exact I.D. on it!

elm i think wwhat i call pi$$ elm red elm wood be red all though it.
larry

I'll get some more pictures of it tomorrow. Also some pictures of the black locust we cut to show some similarities or differences.

Don't know what this tree is: It was probably 26" dia. 30' tall. Big long black seed pods laying under it. Harder then heck to cut and dulled plenty chains. Very heavy wood also. I'm thinking black locust because there was one right next to it. But what throws me off is that the one next to it had thorns on the new growth. This tree had no thorns at all. It was a mess of a tree with tons of branches.. It doesn't split worth a crap either. Some kind of elm maybe? Here's a couple pics of the wood!

attachment.php

attachment.php

here is a link to a honey locust pod pic
http://www.pbase.com/hjsteed/image/35251101
http://www.pbase.com/hjsteed/image/35234257

and heres a link to black locust
http://www.pbase.com/hjsteed/image/35234257

looks like a pretty good match to me

Last edited:
that is exactly what the seed pods looked like. I really dont think the pods were from another tree.
this is what they look like
seed.jpg

so its either black or honey locust, right?
the bark looks more like black to me. some black have very few stickers except on the small limbs or suckers.
also some honey have very few stickers except very high up.

Don't know what this tree is: It was probably 26" dia. 30' tall. Big long black seed pods laying under it. Harder then heck to cut and dulled plenty chains. Very heavy wood also. I'm thinking black locust because there was one right next to it. But what throws me off is that the one next to it had thorns on the new growth. This tree had no thorns at all. It was a mess of a tree with tons of branches.. It doesn't split worth a crap either. Some kind of elm maybe? Here's a couple pics of the wood!

attachment.php

Good Old Fashioned Elm.

Looks like what I was splitting this past Friday:

IMG_0938.jpg

Good luck. Try splitting it and this is what you will get:

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

Back