Is this Black Locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you have an American Elm there. We remove quite a few around here due to death from DED. Splitting is tough especially the wood close to a crotch, but it makes pretty good firewood. Many municipalities have restrictions on storing the wood with bark attached due to the spread of DED. The brood wood will harbor the disease and pose a threat to healthy trees.

Lignum, we split 20-25 rounds at the site and while it was hard to split was nothing like your stringy splits. Im really thinking Thornless honey Locust because of the 2" deep seed pods right under the tree. The pods look exactly like HL.

Lignum, we split 20-25 rounds at the site and while it was hard to split was nothing like your stringy splits. Im really thinking Thornless honey Locust because of the 2" deep seed pods right under the tree. The pods look exactly like HL.

It's an Elm. Those pods blew in from a neighboring tree. Honey Locust has a very unique bark, and Black Locust has yellow wood when fresh cut.

I don't know. Kinda hard to believe that directly below this trees canopy was all big black seed pods. The tree next to it was very young and could not possibly produce this amount of seeds! And then to drop them directly below this tree. Hard to believe.

I talked to several guys at my work that said it's a locust. They've run into them before. Some split great. Some a bit more stringy. They also said some locust have no thorns at all. Maybe a certain sex. Is there a male and female tree? Nurseries even sell thornless locust trees.

Ok. Here's some more pictures! I almost killed myself going out to get this. We are in the middle of an ice storm!!! There was a layer of wet ice on these.. It's sleeting out now!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ok. Here's some more pictures! I almost killed myself going out to get this. We are in the middle of an ice storm!!! There was a layer of wet ice on these.. It's sleeting out now!

attachment.php

attachment.php

The top pic is not Black Locust. This is:
woodweb_black_locust_sawing.jpg

The bottom pic is Elm. Look at the pieces closest to the left side. Elm baby. Ignore the one piece of Sycamore, and Silver Maple, the rest is Elm.
IMG_0937.jpg

The dark center is typical w/ HICKORY....I still say it is Pignut or Bitternut HICKORY...Try to burn it or stick a moisture meter in it...Elm is way up high on the green list, hickory is on the low...Sorry, that is just my 2 cents...Or a dollar or where ever I am at now in this thread...

Sorry that top pic that I have labeled is black locust. Very young. The new growth had thorns on it. Not large thorns like honey locust though. Only 1" or so...

The mystery pics sure look a lot like eastern hop hornbeam. Also know as ironwood. It rivals hedge for fuel wood.

The mystery pics sure look a lot like eastern hop hornbeam. Also know as ironwood. It rivals hedge for fuel wood.

You maybe correct. The leaves resemble the leaves on the ground too.

The final question is this? How does hornbeam split? From this answer, I think the final outcome will be Elm or Hornbeam...

My vote goes for Ky coffee bean tree.What is inside of the pods the seeds on a coffee bean tree are about the size of a small marble.And the twigs at the ends are thich and blunt.:greenchainsaw:

Back