Is This Normal When Buyer a New Chainsaw at a Dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OP received plenty of advice from us all. Some of it was rather heated (like mine) and some offered various options.

Obviously he considered it all and is still taking it under advisement. Bottom line......it's his money and if he feels like taking that money and spending it elsewhere, so be it.

I rarely ignore my gut feelings.

The manager did the right thing in making it right.

I would just suggest that you never suggest a lower price online as that is apples to oranges. Brick and motor business always cost more than some person selling stuff out of a warehouse.

Online just doesn't compare, not a fair fight on that one. I think brick mortar businesses get hammered all the time about what it cost online. Online selling cost can be substantially cheaper.

I myself prefer to buy locally and not online when possible. It is a rant for me as we people that buy everything off amazon. That mind set is killing local business which kills a multitude of jobs which affects people that buy homes and other things which hurts everyone in the long run. I think in the next 5-10 years most malls will be closed or near extinction if it continues which will reshape every town around.

The manager did the right thing in making it right.

I would just suggest that you never suggest a lower price online as that is apples to oranges. Brick and motor business always cost more than some person selling stuff out of a warehouse.

Online just doesn't compare, not a fair fight on that one. I think brick mortar businesses get hammered all the time about what it cost online. Online selling cost can be substantially cheaper.

I myself prefer to buy locally and not online when possible. It is a rant for me as we people that buy everything off amazon. That mind set is killing local business which kills a multitude of jobs which affects people that buy homes and other things which hurts everyone in the long run. I think in the next 5-10 years most malls will be closed or near extinction if it continues which will reshape every town around.
I agree, that is why I decided to go to the local dealer. I will visit a couple other local dealers and see what I can find. Thanks.

To the OP, Thank goodness you've found this site. The most talked about advice on this site for people who want to buy saw in a certain class, is not which saw is best, but to find a dealer you are happy with. Many reasons for this sage advice. Mostly because there will be safety equipment recommended, spare parts, maintenance and advice required for longevity of your saw. I pass numerous dealers on my 40 mile one way trip to my favorite and only dealer. I find your dealers reaction to be the same as mine. Are you kidding me - you ask for advice on the internet on how to buy a saw and then you want throw out, I can save $100 by buying online. Big box stores, online sellers and brick and mortar all offer different services. Don't expect an online seller to do anything above minimum, and don't expect a brick and mortar to sell at online prices.

I stood behind an auto parts counter for over 20yrs. I can assure you it's sometimes hard to Always be the Kind, friendly, informed and informative, helpful, and Prompt salesman we all want, and want to be.

It would be a more polite society if we were all trained and armed, And if we ALL had to take a turn working retail.

I stood behind an auto parts counter for over 20yrs. I can assure you it's sometimes hard to Always be the Kind, friendly, informed and informative, helpful, and Prompt salesman we all want, and want to be.

It would be a more polite society if we were all trained and armed, And if we ALL had to take a turn working retail.

I worked retail at one time. It bored me to tears (figuratively speaking). No one was holding a gun to my head, so I left the profession and went to college. One of the best moves I ever made.

Decided to go into LE. The best decision ever. No regrets and a world of experiences that only LE can provide.

I had made the decision, after 5 years, to own the business. It was profitable for me, and (mostly) fun.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. Here is an update.

After an unpleasant experience with a local dealer, I reached out to arborsite sponsor, Spike60, and bought a Husqvara 555 from him.

I recommend working with Spike60 as he has been most helpful and has excellent prices.

What I like most about the 555 is:
  • Easy to use with the Autotune which automatically adjusts the carburetor.
  • Good power at 60cc and 4.3 HP
  • Durable with metal components, including a magnesium crankcase.
  • Good value: the lowest priced professional level saw with this much power.
  • 3 year warranty (extended with the purchase of Husky oil).
Thanks again, and here are a couple photos of my new Triple Nickel:
IMAG0074.jpg
IMAG0069.jpg

End 2011 , I sold my high end bicycle store after 24 years having it. I've seen guys like this enough , taking months for a decision. Not happy , taking about local service then starting about cheap online , etc....Glad i'm out of it , these ppl talk and read more about bikes , saws ,etc... Then USE them..... Just my 2 cents

End 2011 , I sold my high end bicycle store after 24 years having it. I've seen guys like this enough , taking months for a decision. Not happy , taking about local service then starting about cheap online , etc....Glad i'm out of it , these ppl talk and read more about bikes , saws ,etc... Then USE them..... Just my 2 cents
Yes, it it true that some business owners do not like informed customers, who are able to discern when a business is attending to the customer's needs.

You ran a high end bike store but felt upset when your customers took their time to evaluate their expensive purchase?

It was satisfying for me to purchase a saw, NOT from an online or big box store, but from a small business owner/dealer who happens to be a sponsor on this site.

I totally agree- if it was purchased in 2011 or early 2012. But a 3-year-old display model??

Its April 2014, my spring booking order has arrived. I have 2010/2011 576xp's, 2012 555/562's freshly shipped from mother orange. Saws don't have a shelf life, new in the box is new in the box. A display model is no different. A demo one is.

Latest posts

Back