Is this poison ivy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easiest/cheapest way if the infestation isn't too large-

1. Find where it roots from.

2. Dig it out of the ground. I believe it is the leaves that have most of the irritating sap so handling the roots shouldn't be too much of a concern. Some pros care to comment?

3. Put it in a plastic leaf bag and toss it in with the trash.

4. Carefully! (Wear long sleeve shirt and gloves.)

or

5. Brush-B-Gone. You can get it at most garden shops, K/Wal-marts, depots, etc. I used it successfully on Brazilian Pepper infestation of a 10 acre lot I owned. If it can whack that stuff PI will be a piece-of-cake!

http://www99.epinions.com/content_74041757316

Last edited:
I read that though some people seem to have immunity, prolonged exposure will eventually cause a reaction. I have no idea how much time or how much exposure. The article did not say. I wish I had this immunity!

This is true for me. 99% of the time I can handle it without a problem, then once in a while I get it, although not to bad. My brother on the other hand, gets it real bad, to the point of blisters. Actually quite scary looking.

our new place is bathed in the stuff...I hope my immunity comes back...been hit five time in the last week and a half..:censored: ..welcome back to the country i guess...I guess i'll have to start wearing long pants when wheed whecking...:popcorn:

before you get into pulling it out getcha a bottle of calamine lotion...

before you get into pulling it out getcha a bottle of calamine lotion...

I've got some tecnu already. There's a poison ivy tree on my neighbors fence. They must be oblivious.

5. Brush-B-Gone. You can get it at most garden shops, K/Wal-marts, depots, etc. I used it successfully on Brazilian Pepper infestation of a 10 acre lot I owned. If it can whack that stuff PI will be a piece-of-cake!

Again, caution is advised here. While this will make sure you get a root kill, and therefore lessen (not eliminate!) the chance of re-infestation, it will do virtually nothing to reduce the viability of the toxin, particularly over the short term.

About thirty years ago, an experiment was conducted to test the decay of the toxin in dead vines. The researchers chopped some vines down, then tied them down to the roof of an aluminum shed exposed to the elements, including the Florida sun. One year later, some 90% of the toxicity was still present.

Again, caution is advised here. While this will make sure you get a root kill, and therefore lessen (not eliminate!) the chance of re-infestation, it will do virtually nothing to reduce the viability of the toxin, particularly over the short term.

About thirty years ago, an experiment was conducted to test the decay of the toxin in dead vines. The researchers chopped some vines down, then tied them down to the roof of an aluminum shed exposed to the elements, including the Florida sun. One year later, some 90% of the toxicity was still present.

In the lab the toxin is still potent from old plants. In the field I believe it will spread less because the sap is dried up and doesn't get on you so easily. I know that I can do work in infested areas in the winter when the vines are less lush. The same work in summer would literally put me in the hospital. Still I use full precaution when I know there is killed or dormant PI in the area.

Believe me, dead or alive I won't be out there pulling those vines up in a speedo! I will take the precautios as if they were fully alive.

Thank you to everybody that responded to this post. I used to be able to work in PI with no ill effects. I was trying out my new 441 last week end in the timber and was surrounded by the stuff. Now I have a rash all over me. Thanks to everyone that posted what to do, now Im armed with information on how to combat and protect myself from this nasty weed.

without a doubt rb

I realize this thread is five years old. I just can't help myself. That is NOT poison ivy. It doesn't even come remotely close to looking like the poison ivy we have in northern Michigan. I thought all poison ivy looked the same. Sure, maybe different colors maybe but the actual structure of the plant always looks about the same. This is nowhere close to the stuff we have.

I get such a kick out of all these people saying they rolled in it as kids and never got it. Well you are the same people that thinks that vine in the picture is poison ivy. You never rolled in poison ivy.

My buddy is 40 and swears he used to roll in it for money(dares/bets) as a teen and never ever got it. Mind you he doesn't know a pumpkin patch from green bean plants so I didn't really believe him. Well just the other week we had to do a job pulling a huge section of weeds out and about half of them were poison ivy. I wore long sleeves and gloves and went straight home and showered with my trusty poison ivy soap and still my arms were coated with a heavy rash, also my stomach, crotch, and legs and no skin besides maybe my arms made contact.

And for the first time in his life(so he says) he got it as well. Not as bad as I but he still had bumps all over. He was shocked. I wasn't(we were immersed in that crap for hours). I told him that's probably the first time you ever touched "real" poison ivy. Rolling in three-leaf clover doesn't make you breakout.

Fake poison ivy rollers and guys that shoot 200lb bucks are my biggest pet peeves!!!!!!!!

My buddy shot a real nice 10 point in southern Michigan in this big fenced in farm. Fake hunting as far as I'm concerned but I won't get into that now. Well he calls me the day he got home and had me come over and look at it. He is telling me how its over 200lbs dressed out this and that. I only had to look at that buck for a second to know it was under 150. I process all my own deer and weigh most of them just for ####s and giggles. So I tell him to bring it over to my house and I'll weigh it for him. Of course he kind of balked at that idea but he did. 120lbs dressed out. The deer was three days dead so it probably dried out a little. Lets say it lost 20lbs. So we will say 140 dressed out. Still no where near 200. My dad has six trophy bucks on the wall. One held the record for 35 years(8point) in our county. That weighed 190lbs dressed out and it completely dwarfs all the other bucks he has mounted(body size). 200lbs my ass! In northern michigan you are lucky if your buck dresses out at 140 or more. Out of the 20-25 bucks I've shot the biggest was 145 dressed out. Enough of my ranting. Sorry. Gosh I feel a lot better now ;)

I realize this thread is five years old. I just can't help myself. That is NOT poison ivy. It doesn't even come remotely close to looking like the poison ivy we have in northern Michigan.

Perform a quick internet image search of key words "poison ivy, northern, michigan". Compare those images to the pics in the original post. Look familiar? :msp_thumbup:

I realize this thread is five years old. I just can't help myself. That is NOT poison ivy. It doesn't even come remotely close to looking like the poison ivy we have in northern Michigan. I thought all poison ivy looked the same. Sure, maybe different colors maybe but the actual structure of the plant always looks about the same. This is nowhere close to the stuff we have.

I get such a kick out of all these people saying they rolled in it as kids and never got it. Well you are the same people that thinks that vine in the picture is poison ivy. You never rolled in poison ivy.

My buddy is 40 and swears he used to roll in it for money(dares/bets) as a teen and never ever got it. Mind you he doesn't know a pumpkin patch from green bean plants so I didn't really believe him. Well just the other week we had to do a job pulling a huge section of weeds out and about half of them were poison ivy. I wore long sleeves and gloves and went straight home and showered with my trusty poison ivy soap and still my arms were coated with a heavy rash, also my stomach, crotch, and legs and no skin besides maybe my arms made contact.

And for the first time in his life(so he says) he got it as well. Not as bad as I but he still had bumps all over. He was shocked. I wasn't(we were immersed in that crap for hours). I told him that's probably the first time you ever touched "real" poison ivy. Rolling in three-leaf clover doesn't make you breakout.

Fake poison ivy rollers and guys that shoot 200lb bucks are my biggest pet peeves!!!!!!!!

Nonsense. That is absolutely Toxicodendron.

It does not look like the Poison Ivy where I am from, but it does have the leaves of 3.

51388d1179401843-pi3-jpg

Latest posts

Back