Is this right? Vintage saw question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely a beautiful old saw. I'll plead a Shultz on this saw (I know nothing... nothing). Look closely at the sprocket. Can't tell much detail form the pics, but there's obviously some paint loss that shows the sprocket has turned the chain. Now, was this standard factory-run tests, or an initial run at the dealers... who knows, but look closely and if there's no sign of metal wear, I think you can sleep well that you have a legitimate, and for all practical purposes, new and original saw.

Dan

If the saw was made by another company for Wards (which is likely), it may have been painted after the fact. If they made it for more than one company it could have been painted in several different colors, and probably after a lot of assembly. This may explain why some unusual parts are painted.

Looks like the Tecumseh AH47 engine - same as many Sears and David Bradleys. 77cc's. Used on many models.

First, I want to say that I was trying very hard to NOT make it sound like woodtick45 had done anything less than square on this deal and I hope that was clear. I was not intending to even mention his name but since he chimed in I feel I should make it clear that Woodtick45 was a pleasure to deal with and I NEVER doubted his integrity. I just thought perhaps he was given a saw that someone thought was new and maybe it wasn't. Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers there.

I feel much better now after reading about some of the 'funky' old paint jobs. I do plan on trying to get her fired up. She probably won't cut wood ever but would like to get her running.

If I do get her going I will try to figure out how to post a video or at least record it and get you guys to help get it posted. Again, I never meant it to sound like I doubted Woodtick45 in ANY way. That was absolutely not my intent.

Last edited:
First, I want to say that I was trying very hard to NOT make it sound like woodtick45 had done anything less than square on this deal and I hope that was clear. I was not intending to even mention his name but since he chimed in I feel I should make it clear that Woodtick45 was a pleasure to deal with and I NEVER doubted his integrity. I just thought perhaps he was given a saw that someone thought was new and maybe it wasn't. Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers there.

I feel much better now after reading about some of the 'funky' old paint jobs. I do plan on trying to get her fired up. She probably won't cut wood ever but would like to get her running.

If I do get her going I will try to figure out how to post a video or at least record it and get you guys to help get it posted. Again, I never meant it to sound like I doubted Woodtick45 in ANY way. That was absolutely not my intent.

I never took it that way at all - you were understandably questioning a saw that looked too good to be true. I wonder if they were less than accurate with paint back then because they knew it was likely to get banged up during use. I'm glad woodtick45 told the whole story. To come out like that and face this crowd took some real character.

Latest posts

Back