Is this saw worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer6679

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stihl 021 non runner for 50 bucks. Ad says it ran when put in storage as usual. Is 50 bucks worth it? I assume the 021 is a good quality saw but I don’t know a whole lot about them

Seller also said that it has been sitting for 6 months and it also comes with a parts saw

If the parts saw is included for $50 it is not a bad deal. You could sell them on and get more than your money back.

The 021 has the lowest power of the 021/023/025 series, for the same weight. I think it is 2, 2.5 and 3 hp for those saws.

It would be a good saw for occasional firewood cutting, if you can get it running.

I recently got a 021 non-runner as part of a package deal. I got it running and think it is a nice little saw. Mine pulls a 16" 3/8 lo pro chain surprisingly well in beech and yellow birch. As pointed out above, it is in the 023 025 family...but, I believe, it is lighter than the other two. Stihl says it's 35cc and 9.9# PHO.

Parts and manuals are available.

I will probably sell mine...but, probably shouldn't.

50 bucks for a pair of them...sounds good.

Roy

That is one saw I will not buy. On the big end of the rod it has needle bearings that are not in a cage. If you take it a part good luck as they fly out. The last one I took a part I ended up buying a MS210 crankshaft to fix.

I'd nab it. Not my cup of tea to keep but sounds like a potential flip saw to build a little extra side cash and gain knowledge on saw repair as you go. Those have a ****** weak connecting rod so be careful with your piston stop if you are pulling the flywheel or clutch.

Latest posts

Back