Is this Shagbark Hickory?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longwood

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Yesterday I cut wood this and posted some pics thinking it was Oak. After thinking about it and looking a some tree websites I'm now thinking its Shagbark Hickory. It was a dead,very old, huge tree with at least a 5ft dia. trunk.
Can you guys look at this pic of the bark and tell if its Shagbark Hickory?

Thanks in advance,
Longwood

I think it is white oak

Hard to tell. what does the grain look like? How does it split?stringy?

There is another variety of hickory, we call pignut, it is not a "shagy"and it slits alot harder.

Yep

Thats shag bark hickory,in my area I believe the shag bark and pig nut are the same.Anybody know for sure?
Russ

I'm no expert, but I would tend to agree on the white oak. The thing that points that way to me is the ray fleck. The way it's split, it's exposing a "quarter-sawn face." If you were to slab that piece and plane it, it would pop out more, but I can already see some even in its raw state.

One way to know for sure would be to soak some steel wool in some vinegar for a couple of days, then soak a small piece in it. If the wood turns a dark, dark gray (almost black), then you've definitely got white oak. Hickory has very little tannin, and white oak is full of it. The iron acetate would react with the tannin and turn black. No tannin...no black.

p.s. One word of caution I forgot...if you soak steel wool in vinegar, it produces hydrogen, so either leave the jar uncovered, or poke holes in the lid to let it escape!

Last edited:
I agree with white oak.Smaller diameter shagbark hickory branches arent shaggy.Also hickory is redder.I just came in from cutting a load.

We have 4 types of Hickory in our area. Mockernut, Pignut, Shagbark, and Shell Bark. The Mockernut bark kind of reminds me of Ash. The Pignut has a tighter bark than Mockernut.

Yesterday I helped a friend get a 6 1/2 foot section of Mockernut that came down from ice buildup. He is just starting to build self bows. Beautiful dark heartwood. Very white under the bark. Nice stuff. Brutally heavy!

It is white oak. They tend to get shaggy the further up the trunk you go.

PA: You stay out of these ID threads now ya hear!!:) :) :greenchainsaw:

It is white oak. They tend to get shaggy the further up the trunk you go.

PA: You stay out of these ID threads now ya hear!!:) :) :greenchainsaw:

Man, this place has a loooonnnnggg memory!

That pic looked like White Oak. Even with the "red" tint in the center. We do have some Old White Oak that looks pretty "shaggy" at our place. I will admit, I have trouble with Green Ash and Mockernut Hickory when there aren't any leaves present.

Last edited:
I will admit, I have trouble with Green Ash and Mockernut Hickory when there aren't any leaves present.

I could see that being an issue. Around here the green ash typically grow like silver maple. Many branches. White ash is a long trunk and few branches.

I could see that being an issue. Around here the green ash typically grow like silver maple. Many branches. White ash is a long trunk and few branches.

Uh Oh. Maybe those are White Ash trees. I do see 7 leaves on them in the summer though. I'll try to remember to take a pic in the next few weeks and post them.

Green ash:

attachment.php

White ash:

attachment.php

Thanks for the pics. I still think they are "Greenies." I haven't cut any of them. We don't have a lot of Ash trees and there is plenty of other wood to buck up.

Yesterday I cut wood this and posted some pics thinking it was Oak. After thinking about it and looking a some tree websites I'm now thinking its Shagbark Hickory. It was a dead,very old, huge tree with at least a 5ft dia. trunk.
Can you guys look at this pic of the bark and tell if its Shagbark Hickory?

Thanks in advance,
Longwood

100% White Oak

We have 4 types of Hickory in our area. Mockernut, Pignut, Shagbark, and Shell Bark. The Mockernut bark kind of reminds me of Ash. The Pignut has a tighter bark than Mockernut.

Yesterday I helped a friend get a 6 1/2 foot section of Mockernut that came down from ice buildup. He is just starting to build self bows. Beautiful dark heartwood. Very white under the bark. Nice stuff. Brutally heavy!

Which one is Pecon as Pecon is in the Hickory family

Latest posts

Back