Is this Shagbark Hickory?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another pic to show all of the metal.

attachment.php

the blue stains in the wood give away that there is metal in it. but by the time that you see the blue you've already cut the tree!!:cheers:, i but a tree a few hours ago that had wire in it and i just cut it up above the wire. good looking wood btw

Yep

I'll try. Usually the bottom looks like normal white oak until 20-30ft up, then it gets shaggy. We have a local arboretum that has large area of just white oak and tulip tree and most of the white oaks there have this.

And where I was getting my impression was also from the size of the blocks. The blocks being the size they are and having that type of bark are what make me lean towards the hickory. Although.... I will say that danged grain is soooooo much like the oak... I've never seen a solid hickory though...

:popcorn:

awh yes some of that blue oak. Some time its hard to cut above the fence line height all depending on when the fence was ran or nailed to the tree I have found fence wire 18' in a tree where obviously it was nailed to the Tan Oak at a very young age and carried the wire as it grew.

the blue stains in the wood give away that there is metal in it. but by the time that you see the blue you've already cut the tree!!:cheers:, i but a tree a few hours ago that had wire in it and i just cut it up above the wire. good looking wood btw

Yep. Got lucky on the first couple of blocks. After that you have a little bit of an educated guess.

That pile of wood is actually a third of what is there now. One of the members had a few White and Red Oak trees down and posted about free wood. Turns out to be real nice stuff.

that tree had metal in it didn't it??

for the original poster, yes that is white oak, shaggy bark that is softer than the bark of a hickory. white oak typically splits easy makes great wood. great firewood

here is a pic of a nice white oak on a patch of timber im supposed to be cutting, that is a 4' scale stick leaned against it for reference
calebschainsaw004-1.jpg

With the prices of White Oak now don't you wish you could scale the big end of the log. haha

yea that log swells out at the bottom, but it also doesn't taper alot either. that log is pretty slick so it should bring pretty good $

And where I was getting my impression was also from the size of the blocks. The blocks being the size they are and having that type of bark are what make me lean towards the hickory. Although.... I will say that danged grain is soooooo much like the oak... I've never seen a solid hickory though...

:popcorn:

Here's the best pic I've got on the 'puter.

attachment.php

yea they are all in the Juglandaceae family. black walnut Juglans nigra pecan Illinoiensis shagbark ovata pignut glabra bitterernut cordiformis mockernut tomentosa

Last edited:
Welll

Here's the best pic I've got on the 'puter.

attachment.php

I'll be dawged... Never seen one like that... The shagbark is like super shaggy like that top but from the ground up. The top parts of the hickory are a smoother wood, almost like a beech... Thanks for that pic Pea-man...

I'll get a really good pic of one tomorrow... I know where another one is.

:clap:

Last edited:
There is three shags I see here and Carya ovata var.pubescens seems
to have tight bark until it limbs just a thought!
Leaf is five leaf palmate

Last edited:
Which one is harder to split?

Is Hickory next to impossible to split with a maul? That's what I've heard before. I think Red Oak, Black Oak split pretty easliy with a maul & wedges. White Oak can be OK but I've seen some really twisted ones.

green hickory is a bear to split, almost as bad as elm...but it get better as it dries because it has a natural tendency to "check" (crack) straight grained white oak splits liks a dream. as does alot of the red oaks...shingle oak might be one of the best splitting wood ever

to add to that...hickory does not weather well...bugs like it alot. so if you know that you will be cutting hickory and you can swing it...cut it in the fall/winter when the sap is down..this will alot the wood to season and weather better. and bugs won't eat it up as fast

Last edited:
green hickory is a bear to split, almost as bad as elm...but it get better as it dries because it has a natural tendency to "check" (crack) straight grained white oak splits liks a dream. as does alot of the red oaks...shingle oak might be one of the best splitting wood ever

to add to that...hickory does not weather well...bugs like it alot. so if you know that you will be cutting hickory and you can swing it...cut it in the fall/winter when the sap is down..this will alot the wood to season and weather better. and bugs won't eat it up as fast

Shingle oak is a beech lol !

Back