Itching for another saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesfarm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had to go pick up a new drain pump for the washing machine today -- floor of the laundry room was soaked and the old pump was badly leaking.

When I was over in Creston (about 25 miles from our house), I stopped at the local Stihl dealer to check out his shop. I'd never been to that dealer before -- nice place and both the owner and his counter help were very helpful and friendly and the owner really knew what he was talking about.

I've got a MS361 and a MS250 that I bought as a team from a different dealer last February. The 361 has had about 30 tanks through it. The 250 has had only about 5.

I like the 250 okay, but I just don't seem to pick it up to do my limbing. I've been regretting not spending the extra cash and getting what I really wanted at the time -- the MS260. After getting a good look at the 260 at the dealer's, I was really regretting my decision.

I got home and talked to my wife about it and she thinks I should sell the 250 and buy the 260. She reminded me that the pro saws are made a lot better and would be a lot nicer to cut with. :clap: She's one great woman!!

I've got a question though, should I get the 260 with a 16" bar and 3/8 chain, or would .325 be better. I plan to use the 260 for limbing and cutting stuff about 14" max. I like the idea of 3/8, then when I really want to have some fun, I could use the 16" on my 361.

You know ... I would have been perfectly happy with a new Farm Boss MS290 and my old beater Echo CS-3000 until I came to this site and contracted that CAD.:dizzy:

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

God bless,
Chris

Since you are using 16" 3/8 on your 361 I would go with 3/8 on the 260. I run .325 on my 026, but I want to switch to 3/8 for the same reason as you, then chains are swappable, and you have a spare for either.

I had to go pick up a new drain pump for the washing machine today -- floor of the laundry room was soaked and the old pump was badly leaking.

When I was over in Creston (about 25 miles from our house), I stopped at the local Stihl dealer to check out his shop. I'd never been to that dealer before -- nice place and both the owner and his counter help were very helpful and friendly and the owner really knew what he was talking about.

I've got a MS361 and a MS250 that I bought as a team from a different dealer last February. The 361 has had about 30 tanks through it. The 250 has had only about 5.

I like the 250 okay, but I just don't seem to pick it up to do my limbing. I've been regretting not spending the extra cash and getting what I really wanted at the time -- the MS260. After getting a good look at the 260 at the dealer's, I was really regretting my decision.

I got home and talked to my wife about it and she thinks I should sell the 250 and buy the 260. She reminded me that the pro saws are made a lot better and would be a lot nicer to cut with. :clap: She's one great woman!!

I've got a question though, should I get the 260 with a 16" bar and 3/8 chain, or would .325 be better. I plan to use the 260 for limbing and cutting stuff about 14" max. I like the idea of 3/8, then when I really want to have some fun, I could use the 16" on my 361.

You know ... I would have been perfectly happy with a new Farm Boss MS290 and my old beater Echo CS-3000 until I came to this site and contracted that CAD.:dizzy:

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

God bless,
Chris

.325 chain and a 16" would be a great set-up for what you are planning to do with your saw.

If some guy by the name of Saw Troll posts in this thread telling you to put an 8" pruning saw bar on your 260 with 3/8 low profile chain, don't listen to him!

The 3/8 chain cuts a bit quicker but the .325rsc is what I use at the moment. I tried a few combos out and I like a 16" bar and .325 for torque and the 3/8 for softer wood. The 260 is a very good dependable unit. I think you will be glad you made the switch.

I have run various MS260 Pro saws and one 026. I prefer .325 for what I use the saw for. I would rather have two different bar/chain combos but as the other guys stated interchangability is nice. I have also run an MS250 as a work saw and that was NOT a good experience. The cutting conditions were very abrasive and the trees, small willows by the thousands, were in tall grass. After 4 hours hard work with a brand new saw the plastic segments started to melt. The dealer took the saw back and we bought another MS250 to replace it. The air filter system sucks and the antivibe doesn't work very well but it is one tough little saw. I can recommend it with those two caveats.

tried the 9pin on my modded 260 lots of fun but I noticed chip clearance issues after 10" dia. I use the 8pin.

USA 260's do not like 3/8 chain in anything but perfect conditions.

the saw is overpriced and a bit underpowered but its a good saw. if your hung on stihl i would step up to the 361 for another 100 bucks and cut a lot more wood faster.

your dealer would likely take your 250 on trade as they love to sell them and its the saw they all seem to try and push on me. maybe i dont look like a pro to them???

:confused:

for the money dolmar and redmax are hard to beat. google is your freind.

Last edited:
I ran my 026 with 3/8 and a 16" bar. It cut great. On an MS260 I would muffler mod it and tune the carb. Once you get used to the interchangability you won't want it any other way. After the 260, get a 460 or a 660 and your 3 saw plan is complete!

don't have a 260,just a 361 and a 460. I like to be able to sharpen chains for both of them without having to change grinding wheels

got home and talked to my wife about it and she thinks I should sell the 250 and buy the 260. She reminded me that the pro saws are made a lot better and would be a lot nicer to cut with. She's one great woman!!

Don't let her get away.

Well, I changed my mind again. It's probably a good thing I waited on the 260!

With the size of the stuff I have been getting from the tree guy in town (trunks anywhere from 36-48"), I figured I needed a bigger saw (MS460) not a smaller one and then I could use my 361 for the limbing. My dear wife agreed with my thinking and suggested I run an 18" bar on the 361, and a 24 on the 460. I don't deserve her!

Since scrap prices are through the roof right now, I sold a bunch of scrap iron that has been sitting in our ravine for years, an old junk car, a bucket of romex wire I stripped out of my Amish friend's house, a bunch of old batteries, etc. and got a nice chunk of money towards the 460.

Then I sold my ms250 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230229487052&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=013
Hard to complain about getting $340 for that saw and extras!!

Finally got enough scraped together to buy the MS460. Went down to Missouri with the wife and kids last Friday to pick it up. I cut with it on Saturday and in the afternoon on Monday. Love that saw and the extra power!

I think I got a great deal on the saw -- the guy just kept giving me more stuff with it! Paid $752 plus tax for MS460 w/16" bar (wanted that for the 361 for light trimming jobs around the farm), 2 chains, 4 stihl baseball caps (one for me and each of my 3 boys), 2 1/2 gallon gas can, 6 pack of HP ultra mix oil, and a stihl keychain. I came out smelling like a rose.

Maybe a 260 is in my future to complete the 3-saw plan, but I'm pretty set right now for making short work of my firewood cutting.

God bless,
Chris

Last edited:
Hehe, scrap metal is my new saw plan. Got about 200# of al cans, 4 al transmissions, 6 engine blocks, 75# of romex, and I'm slowly sorting scrap from 2 mobile homes. With scrap price going up I may not have to wait on my economic stimulus check.

USA 260's do not like 3/8 chain in anything but perfect conditions.

the saw is overpriced and a bit underpowered but its a good saw. if your hung on stihl i would step up to the 361 for another 100 bucks and cut a lot more wood faster.

your dealer would likely take your 250 on trade as they love to sell them and its the saw they all seem to try and push on me. maybe i dont look like a pro to them???

:confused:

for the money dolmar and redmax are hard to beat. google is your freind.

If you would read his post you will see that he already has a 361 :laugh: :newbie:

Latest posts

Back