Its a good thing I got that 28" bar!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A word of caution make sure to sound the trunks with an axe. I took down a 40" basswood three weeks and she was rot in the middle. Get your wedges in asap and keep them tight as you advance your cut to shift the favor of the tree.

I know the basswoods are at least partly hollow because there are suirrels

in them. There will be plenty of hinge and a few wedges to boot.

Don't know your experience but I'd be very leery of cutting those trees and I've done a bit of cutting. Even when you KNOW which way those trees are leaning there is something about big wood and it falling. Most oaks over about 24" have me doing a few takes before I drop them.
I won't harp on the most obvious, but you should really look at another saw before taking on a task like this and what kind of cutting you have done in the past.
Chad

so let me get this straight, you are gonna drop a 70 inch tree with a 28 inch bar on a 390:dizzy:

i agree

so let me get this straight, you are gonna drop a 70 inch tree with a 28 inch bar on a 390:dizzy:

sounds like a real fast way to end up maimed or dead. i think what i said earlier about a pro dropping it is the wisest choice:) that size wood is at minimum a 75cc+ size saw and a 36" bar and chain. this is what kills people more often then not is not having experience in the science of how to drop big wood:cheers: i would be using a minimum a 50 ton jack and a heavy pull line and a 75CC+ saw and a 42" bar. the jack method is the only safe way other the a top down dropping method:clap:

:cheers:

I agree unless the tree is very healthy and leaning good one way I would not do it without a jack and pull line. and I would be running a 66 with 42" min.

i want to see this

i want to see this saw in action when he cuts these things down. i bet that thing is going to krapp out from the strain of the long bar and tough as nails wood:confused: video evidence will be very intresting:clap:

Most are sarcastic, but I wouldn't do this tree with what you have.
Be safe other than sorry.

i taint be a bad mouth

i am more concerned with the guy stayin alive then what saw he has. we all have done some really stupid things. trees this big are just mean they take a lot of patience and most importantly experience to put on the ground safely. i lost a falling partner to a 100" dbh tree, every tree i drop i remember that horrid day he was killed,he had 70 years of falling experience. i read about people tryin to take a tree out by doing it themselves instead of biting the bullet and paying for a pro with the right equipment. me i am not afraid to walk away from a tree job if i think it needs a better faller.

here is a good example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f_dQ7850jc

I hope you kind folks dont think I am a doofus with a saw trying to be a big shot

but if I don't feel god about a tree, I leave it be, Period. That is how I was taught. Always trust your gut. It can keep you out of trouble. Oh, and if the hair on the back of your neck stands up, get out of there. I have avoided many unfriendly encounters with wildlife this way. I listen to my gut. You will get your footage of them coming down when it happens. Don't worry, you have not hurt my feelings in any way.

If a tree that size does anything that you're not ready for/anticipating you'll be done.

You definitely need a bigger saw, a backup saw, and a whole lot of experience to bring those down. See if a pro tree service is even willing to just drop them. The fact that you're saying one of them has squirrels inside of it makes it much worse...hire a pro...at least to drop them. Once they're dropped, how are you going to get through 70" with a 28" bar?

I'd try to get an 880 or a 3120 or at least a 395 to work with that.

The basswood by the shed will be topped and then felled

BOTH basswoods will be belted. As for cutting them up, there will be much noodling until I get to a point where I can cut clean through. I will make two noodle cuts in the base of the stem about 1/3 of the way in and then cut off the outer pieces. Then I can cut the center. One piece at a time. I will have wedges and a jack on hand. I still need to talk to my Dad and see when he wants to do it. I know one of the oaks will have to wait till spring because the tractor cab is in the way.

no feelins hurt

we all want you to stay alive. make sure that you wear PPE:) i am praying that will go well. if you need any advice feel free to ask. if you take a before pict we may be able to give you some extra pointerz to ensure you success.

If I get out there this week, I will take pics.

I will also measure the trees to get some exact figures. Thank you all for your concern. I am very glad you all care so much.

we all want you to stay alive. make sure that you wear PPE:) i am praying that will go well. if you need any advice feel free to ask. if you take a before pict we may be able to give you some extra pointerz to ensure you success.

It is all about bein safe!!! We just want pics and video if you decide to do it. Stay safe! Steve

Latest posts

Back