It's almost alive! My splitter build.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, it's been a ride for sure, fun and a learning experience.
Yeah the table is pretty handy, we usually split right into one of the dump trailers.
I'm looking into either finding or building a conveyor, maybe like a 10-12 footer. We can bend 10' at the fab shop I frequent so that may be the length that works best. We don't need to move the wood far or high, just from the out feed table to the conveyor to either a pick up or dump trailer. Our dump trailers are both 6' x 10' with 2' sides.

Thanks for the props guys. :msp_thumbup: We are quite impressed with it so far. My brother has tried to buy it twice already. LOL
He heats his house with an OWB and the big garage with a wood stove. He goes through close to a tri axle load each year. I on the other hand only need about 2 cord, maybe a little more this coming winter. We just want to be able to do it as quickly as possible and with the least amount of handling.

Just a little update on my splitter. The other day we were splitting some large Maple and one of the hinges on the lift tore apart. Welds didn't break but tore out of the metal pipe. I only had them in single shear, today I added some pieces to make them double shear and added a third hinge in the middle. They are all going to get grease fittings. I also made the lift a little wider (6") so now pieces don't fall down in between the table and the lift.
I also put on some stainless expanded metal that I had lying around. One other modification I did was to add 1.5" to the bottom of the 4 way to raise it up, we found we were holding it up too often, otherwise it made very small pieces, I think it works much better now. I will get some new pics up tomorrow if the snow isn't too bad.

Over all I am very happy with the power, fit and function of my splitter. the only complaint I have is that it's too heavy to move by hand unless there are a minimum of two people, three is better.
The engine is performing flawlessly as are all funtions.
The next thing I want to add is some sort of spring loaded rod to be able to retract unattended. It's a pain by yourself to have to hold the handle back. I'm thinking a short rod on the bottom of the lever that when the push plate hits it it will push it into neutral. The lever would be spring loaded on the retract side. One other thing I want to try is a bigger pusher, sometimes with the 4 way the pieces fan out and I can't stop them, I think a bigger pusher would help prevent this.
I do want to make a new video too.
take care,
dave

I just wanted to update this thread after almost 5 years the splitter is still going strong as ever. I use the 4 way a lot now and keep pushing it's limits. We have probably split a total of close to 75 cords or so with it and the motor still starts on the first or second pull. I have gotten into the habit of only using ethanol free gas. The outfeed table has taken some abuse, occasionally a knot or a split will catch the edge of it and either bend the table up or the piece will split. A little sledge hammer action and it's GTG! I did have to rebuild the lever extension as I was resting a piece on the pusher while it was retracting and it got stuck on a knot, the log hit the lever and I couldn't stop it from retracting, I had to run around and shut it off! Not a big deal. I did make up a hitch extension so I can have my tailgate down and move the splitter along the row. Overall I am very pleased with it's performance. My brother has been using it the past few evenings. I only use it about once a year.
I'll try to get some new pics, not that anything has really changed...lol
Thanks for all your support.
Dave

Latest posts

Back