It's almost alive! My splitter build.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good! I love it when a plan comes together.

My buddy had a tractor mount splitter with about the same size out table and I had the same problem with not enough room to hold the large pieces while I split.

John

Thanks guys, it was a good feeling to not have it self destruct! LOL
It's plenty fast, my brother (in the video) was loading and I was running the lever and re splitting, when we took a brake he said he was soaked with sweat! I think it's a three man job now.

Nice looking splitter and thanks for posting a video! I should have my pump this coming Wednesday and I bought a 26 gallon tank yesterday. I hope it all works like yours

here ya go. embedded

[video=youtube;3iyKw0-veuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3iyKw0-veuA[/video]

OK, a couple of things have been bothering me with my splitter. One is that the diamond plate is going to have to be replaced with some 1/8" steel, diamond plate or otherwise. It took a beating in what little we used it, no biggie, it's just riveted on. I'll take care of that this week.
Second thing is how the whole splitter wobbles, if you watch the video you'll see what I mean. Now I purposely offset the jack to help compensate for the lift being on that side. I'm wondering if another swivel jack on the same side by the tire would help? Or just live with it. Of course we were set up on frozen snow and ground.

OK, a couple of things have been bothering me with my splitter. One is that the diamond plate is going to have to be replaced with some 1/8" steel, diamond plate or otherwise. It took a beating in what little we used it, no biggie, it's just riveted on. I'll take care of that this week.
Second thing is how the whole splitter wobbles, if you watch the video you'll see what I mean. Now I purposely offset the jack to help compensate for the lift being on that side. I'm wondering if another swivel jack on the same side by the tire would help? Or just live with it. Of course we were set up on frozen snow and ground.

Is it rocking on the springs or twisting? I would assume if it is rocking on the springs that a bipod on the front would reduce that. I have plans in the back of my mind for my splitter to have some outriggers of some sort in the back to stabilize the whole rig and to keep the front from lifting off the ground when hauling up a big one to split.

You could just remove the diamond plate (I assume you mean the lift) and add a couple more bars longways...

John

I saw how it moves around also, I'd say put a jack leg on both sides in the rear and use your jack in the front to tighten it up. No doubt the spring suspension is the cause, mine will move a bit when I pick up a monster round even with no springs, but not enough to notice.

Minor fixes at any rate, we've all been thru the trial and error! :cheers:

From what I can tell Dave, the problem I see to the axle, which in most cases is the stabilizer, is not in a position to do just that. Being at the rear, the distance for it to the front stand is just to great for a stable situation. There are a couple of ways I see the help it out but you are kinda going to have to tolerate the axle where it is. I think the easiest setup on the wedge end would be V setup. With the V inverted. It's the same kinda problem fifth wheels have not being stable enough and need a cross brace to stop the wiggle. The bottom of the V I think, should be spread as with as acceptable. That is not to get in the way of you feet.

All good advice. I was looking at a TW5 on Youtube and it moves some while lifting a large round.
I may experiment with an inverted v front leg.
If I can source a couple of jacks for cheap I may try them on the rear.
thanks,
dave

I would weld some expanded metal in place of the diamond plate. That would make it
stout and keep from getting a suplus of dirt and debris on the table. Very nice build :msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
Here is the link to one of the best homemade processors I have seen!

Sweet Homemade firewood procesor - YouTube

Thank's alot for posting this video link! I'm making plans to build a "modest" processor on a shoe-string (I usually "over build" everything) that I can expand in the future. Now after watching that video my imagination is running wild with bigger ideas I don't have the money for! Thanks for nothing! lol :bang:

Is the fastest processor I've seen though. Running it does look a bit intense. Can you say carpal tunnel???

I ran a splitter with springs and didn't like it for the reasons you have found. I don't tow mine for long distances so that is another reason for not putting it on when I built it. I even went so far to put stabilizers on mine as I can drag the rounds to the splitter via a winch.

I used aluminum flooring for my tables and it works great.

MVC-024S_6.JPG

Well we split about a cord and a half this afternoon, my bro was just firing it up when I arrived.
Some twisted birch, maple, cherry and some oak, all 30" long, this thing is an animal! LOL
I had intended to get some more video but never got to it.
We talked about expanded metal but unless I stumble onto a piece for dirt cheat I'll just go with steel. Truth be told I don't even need anything, there is a center support on the long section and small space on the lower section.
The more I used it the more I think a couple of jacks at the rear will be the ticket. Depending on the weather I may get down to HF one day this week.
My brother is so impressed he offered me more money today and his other splitter! LOL I told him it's not for sale and that I built it for us to use. We have already split more for him than I would need for a season. Well maybe not quite now that I am using my outdoor stove at the house and it's running 24/7.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, words of encouragement and words wisdom. I'm VERY glad I went with the 22 gpm pump and not the 16 gpm pump.
Of course now thoughts of build #2 are running through my poor brain!
thanks,
dave

Congrats on getting it built! My pump is supposed to be here this week I am looking forward to getting it going hopefully it turns out half as good as yours

Latest posts

Back