Its Heeeere. A Game Of Logging Class

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh myyyyyyyyyyyyy, the sandbox girls and boys are striking out at Oz again. Get out of the sandbox. That's absolutely correct: GOL TELLS students that the techniques taught are the ONLY way to log. You all are correct. You must bore. Bore. Bore. (No Humboldts in this program.) :msp_tongue:Now, go back to playing in the sandbox.

Geeeeeeeeee: what about boring ? Boring I tell you. :angry2:

Please, look up what a Straw Dog is. Really. Pretty please all you sandbox pros. Mr. PNW Pro says : "I know everything that there is to know. Don't tell me how to do MY job. I will not learn anything that I don't already know." :help:

"I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK....." Monty Python. All together now holding your hands and hugging each other wetting your non-chapped pants. Pleeeeeeese.:hmm3grin2orange:

This could be a banned post.:msp_ohmy:

Whoa!!! There is that reek again

Today, 04:15 AM
logbutcher
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Add as Contact Arboristsite MVP

This message is hidden because logbutcher is on your ignore list.
View Post.Remove user from ignore list

Whoa!!! There is that reek again

Just throw some baking soda on your screen and you should be OK.

I forgot to look for shoes! I saw a tough, foreign language speaking truck driver yesterday who had beautiful shoes on. They were pointy toed, silver, with silver flowers embellishing them, and were flats. They had a heel strap. He was bearded, scary looking, and jabbering away into a headset at the McDonald's. I was afraid to ask him where he got the shoes.

Oh myyyyyyyyyyyyy, the sandbox girls and boys are striking out at Oz again. Get out of the sandbox. That's absolutely correct: GOL TELLS students that the techniques taught are the ONLY way to log. You all are correct. You must bore. Bore. Bore. (No Humboldts in this program.) :msp_tongue:Now, go back to playing in the sandbox.

Geeeeeeeeee: what about boring ? Boring I tell you. :angry2:

Please, look up what a Straw Dog is. Really. Pretty please all you sandbox pros. Mr. PNW Pro says : "I know everything that there is to know. Don't tell me how to do MY job. I will not learn anything that I don't already know." :help:

"I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK....." Monty Python. All together now holding your hands and hugging each other wetting your non-chapped pants. Pleeeeeeese.:hmm3grin2orange:

This could be a banned post.:msp_ohmy:

Dude it is 4:15 in the morning. A little early for mind altering substances isn't it? I have no idea what your post meant.

The fun thing about all this "Straw Dog" nonsense is that, in the literal sense, the 'straw dogs" logbutcher is referring to are themselves "Straw Dogs". Behold:

In business, a straw dog is an idea, or plan, usually set up to be knocked down.

It's the dangerous proposition of presenting one mediocre idea, so that the listener will choose the better idea which follows.

It is also called a straw man. A straw man argument is a logical fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is to create a position that is easy to refute, then attribute that position to the opponent. A straw-man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is, it may succeed in persuading people) but it is in fact a misleading fallacy, because the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted. The problem is that you view the opposition from a very narrow, flawed perspective, and do not deal with the actual issues.

(This is something you frequently see politicians do--one that makes you know that no matter what they're arguing, they are not even mentioning their actual agenda.)

Wikipedia has an exceptional article on the straw dog/straw men.

Wiki Article

I'm thinking of a new avatar since I am in a new stage of life. I need to go get some straw for my gardening anyway, so I can put some on The Used Dog and take a picture. He won't mind. He's open to many such odd things. Afterwards, I can vacuum him.

Back to the subject, Madhatte, is your friend that teaches the class a production faller? Or is the class what we suspect, a way to introduce non-saw folks to a safer way of falling than just cutting the tree down the way they see on TV?

I thought about enrolling in some cheaper classes which were segregated by gender. I wanted to go to both and see the difference in instruction methods.

Would the mens' class be focused on Don't Cut Yer Leg Off And Be Sure And Wear Chaps?

Would the womens' class be a gentle Fear Not The Saw session? I have been curious about the reason for two different classes.

I have a feeling that most of the women would not be 18 to 28 year old "babes". So keeping the guys calm shoudn't be an issue.

OH, im too inebriated to pick apart this fight. WE WILL STAND STRONG, or something like that. YEEE HAWWWW. . .:msp_angry:

Wait, there is not even a fight..

Well, kid, you may actually do have a fight in front of you. As Madhatte said, these people mean well. And good will tends to transform into a standard. And when it becomes a standard, it will be obligatory, and then you have to pay for it... At least in the more cultivated parts of the world, such as Europe.

This week I've spent a lot of money updating few cards I must keep on my wallet. Here's the list of the licences, permissions and certificates I've got to carry on me in order to get to work:

Driver's licence
First aid qualification
Working protection card
Nature management card
Road working card
Fire working card
Security personnel card (for bouncing)
Permission to serve alcohol

Most of these must be updated after every 5 years. It's not free. They're talking about a chainsaw driver's licence too. Actually they already require it in the UK. I was asked to show my chainsaw licence there. Well, I gave them my library card, and since they didn't have an idea what the card said, they had to take my word for it.

Library Card! Thats funny. I guess its good to see we are not that out of control with the licensing and regulations.

Hey are they teaching any courses on common sense logging or even saw handling? I think its time we rally and set-up our own set of classes. We could charge the same and maybe hand out a free wedge and a single bit (no hammers) to every pupil? Sounds like a guy could make a killing.

I drove by a sloping back-cut today that made me shutter. It was sloping in from two ways and the face was sloping in toward the hinge. Guy must've been using a short bar and danced around the tree 50 times.

Last edited:
Back to the subject, Madhatte, is your friend that teaches the class a production faller? Or is the class what we suspect, a way to introduce non-saw folks to a safer way of falling than just cutting the tree down the way they see on TV?

My friend is just the landowner hosting the event. He's a permie, not a faller. He does have a band mill onsite, and a huge drying barn. Cool cat. Haven't talked to that gang in awhile -- oughta make a few calls.

The fun thing about all this "Straw Dog" nonsense is that, in the literal sense, the 'straw dogs" logbutcher is referring to are themselves "Straw Dogs". Behold:

You got it. Now if you can only get what you posted.:popcorn:

Let's explain........................:bang:

Well, probably too much. :blob2:

Library Card! Thats funny. I guess its good to see we are not that out of control with the licensing and regulations.

Hey are they teaching any courses on common sense logging or even saw handling? I think its time we rally and set-up our own set of classes. We could charge the same and maybe hand out a free wedge and a single bit (no hammers) to every pupil? Sounds like a guy could make a killing.

I drove by a sloping back-cut today that made me shutter. It was sloping in from two ways and the face was sloping in toward the hinge. Guy must've been using a short bar and danced around the tree 50 times.

Yes. A forestry association similar to the one I belong to is one of the sponsers of "Tree School" which is being held on a weekend at a Community College in Oregon. The price to go was quite a bit less than GOL. It is the place with the separate saw classes for men and women. There are also classes in various forestry subjects, like marketing timber, managing for wildlife, etc. I don't know if they have hats.

Latest posts

Back