It's here!!!!............Inside the MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stand Husky's ...but even I would like to have that 390xp! damn!
One of the best saws on the market today, and most definitely the best value. I buy them for $875, PHO. I just modded another brand new one today. They are simply monsters. Definitely, one of my 3 favorite saws. This 661 has some tall competition in the 390XP.

Not for nothing, but these saw weights are starting to look like the sand shifting on the beach. Stihl now lists the 362 C-M at 12.8 lbs (which I do not believe, I think it is 13 lbs) and Husky now lists the 562 at 13 lbs (I also don't believe, I think it is 12.8 lbs).

Then they list the 372 at 13.4 lbs??? Isn't it really closer to 14???

Then Stihl keeps talking about the LOW power to wt ratio of the 661??? Did something get lost in the translation???

If both companies didn't make great saws, I'd start to think they are all on Crack!

Alright, alright. Here's a little teaser :) These are the very first cuts this saw has made. Of course, I had to hit something at the bottom of the third cut. Feels pretty good for a brand new saw with a 36" bar, full comp chain nearly buried.

Newb. When u grow up u can hit stuff the first cut, like me...

I smell some bullsh*t with this comparo, the 661 is stock and tuned awfully rich and the chain is likely dulled but man, this 390xp is a freakin' monster. If you can get gains like these with that Stihl you will have a wicked machine. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Excuse the smell ;) Trust me, no bullsh*t. I don't fool myself with my own saws :)

1Ofrb8n.jpg

Here's the old thread i made. I still own both of them :)

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-ms661-c-m-first-impressions.245811/

The 661 was totaly stock, third tank of fuel. Both saws were equipped with brand new RSC chain out of the box and 8pin rim's.
390 is ported (wicked work saw kit) and tuned to 13800 max rpm.

old photos from this comparison
pvGjtEQ.jpg

F1J1pmi.jpg

And of course, i did not tune the 661 that rich! The M-Tronic did it ;)

Today and after about 50 tanks of fuel and a muffler mod, the 661 is still not able to beat the ported 390.

could you post pictures of what you did on the 661 muff mod ? Thanks.

like to see them both again now that they are broken in. With 7pin rims, and using the same bar ..the sugi would probably work on both of them?

In my experience stihl bars are a bit slower than sugi's.

Excuse the smell ;) Trust me, no bullsh*t. I don't fool myself with my own saws :)

1Ofrb8n.jpg

Here's the old thread i made. I still own both of them :)

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-ms661-c-m-first-impressions.245811/

The 661 was totaly stock, third tank of fuel. Both saws were equipped with brand new RSC chain out of the box and 8pin rim's.
390 is ported (wicked work saw kit) and tuned to 13800 max rpm.

old photos from this comparison
pvGjtEQ.jpg

F1J1pmi.jpg

And of course, i did not tune the 661 that rich! The M-Tronic did it ;)

Today and after about 50 tanks of fuel and a muffler mod, the 661 is still not able to beat the ported 390.

Glad you stopped in, I figured the owner of that 390xp hung around these parts :)

The husky sent that 661 down the road with it's tail between it's legs, but apples to oranges comparison. It's interesting that the 661 bogs with relative ease, the 660 that I ran over the summer had the same tendency which surprised me. I cut up a 16-18" windblown ash with it wearing a 25" bar and it did not like to be pushed on or dawged heavily at all. But it was impressive if you kept it in it's powerband with plenty of torque.

Anyway, I can't believe that thing is tuned to 14k, it flat out screams! You've got one hell of a machine there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back