It's Super and it Splits...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only had mine a month. I did split some bad stringy sycamore the other day that I could not split by hand. It's splits oak like it's nothing. I also noticed it would slice some of the stringy stuff. might sharpen the wedge a bit :)

Dave, I noticed in your video that you kept putting your left hand on top of the log when you were engaging the gears. With the table flush with the top of the beam, there's no need to hold it in place like with a narrow beam splitter. While I don't have a SS, I do have a homebuilt version , & I never have either hand anywhere near the log or wedge when splitting. These flywheel splitters are extremely fast & are not as forgiving as a slow hydraulic machine. Enjoy your SS, but be careful & get into the habit of no hands near the log when you pull the handle.

I would like to see a video of it splitting this...

attachment.php

attachment.php
Amen. All the videos show it splitting stuff I could split by hand in one or two womps with an 8-lb maul or a 10-lb sledge and wedge. Elm crotch and live oak both have a mind of their own.

Also most of the videos show rounds less than 14" dia. Try a 24" dia. round with it, cut 20" long, assuming you can get that up on top the table. Even maple would probably stall it out, especially with embedded knots.

For typical splitting, however, I must admit that SS is fine, fast, and expensive. It's an ingenious mechanical design.

Dave, I noticed in your video that you kept putting your left hand on top of the log when you were engaging the gears. With the table flush with the top of the beam, there's no need to hold it in place like with a narrow beam splitter. While I don't have a SS, I do have a homebuilt version , & I never have either hand anywhere near the log or wedge when splitting. These flywheel splitters are extremely fast & are not as forgiving as a slow hydraulic machine. Enjoy your SS, but be careful & get into the habit of no hands near the log when you pull the handle.

Yeah I was doing that at first, but later stopped as it wasn't necessary mostly. If the log wants to ride up or isn't stable sitting, then it helps, but other than that it isn't needed. Remember this was like the 3rd and 4th block I split with this thing...ever.

I got the basic J model and the base engine for whoever asked... Paying extra for Honda's name is not needed for this. With the production table and shipping it ran $2800ish. The production table should be standard, IMHO. Not cheap, but I'll have it for life.

The bigger rounds were 18" or so. I have plenty of bigger ones to try. Maybe I'll bring the camera Sunday... It's pretty much all oak (red & white). The only elm in the mix is real small stuff - under 4".

It seems fast and works well so far. It'll get a workout Sunday.

Congrats on a fine machine!

Haven't used mine much , but I already love it!

I thought the crating, packing was very good. I used a come-a-long to lift, worked great.

Like MN said, the only thing I would change / add, is a better way to move it around. I might add a removable hitch, to pull it around with the ATV.

Mine came with a hitch? I either roll it or use the skid steer forks.

Scott

davec ~ Thanks so much for showing pics of how the SS arrived and is packed. That really helps knowing how they are shipped as I got an email mine was sent out this week, cant wait to pick it up and getr goin'. Luckily I have a hoist and am prepared to install a trailer coupler etc asap. :cheers:

Does anyone in the cenral PA area have one of these things? I have seen a lot of videos of them in action but I don't know if I can be sold on one until I see it in person.

I'm in Central jersey if you're ever this far east(1/2 hour from PA border). Mine is a really old one which is a testament to how well designed it is. You're welcome to come run it anytime.

Mine came with a hitch? I either roll it or use the skid steer forks.

Scott

I didn't see that option, and I really don't need it. I can grab it by the table and walk it around pretty good, though uphill to the shop lets me know it's heavy. Once it gets some age on it, I'll leave it out under the wood shed, but it's too new right now and stays in the shop :)

As for the price, it is more expensive than the cheap hydros, but has no Chinese made stuff on it. Price is bout the same as the better hydros and less than some.

I got the J model, Paul (the owner) talked me out of the HD model, said I didn't need it. The 4.5hp Subaru is more than enough to run this splitter, and a very well made motor. I can also add the two extra bearings to the ram at any time, if I feel it needs them. I do plan to add a 1.5hp electric motor soon for super quiet operation

The SS is well worth the price!

:cheers:

The 4.5hp Subaru is more than enough to run this splitter, and a very well made motor.

I agree - starts easy, runs smooth, not too loud, overall seems solid... With one caveat: Who was the genius that made the oil fill port basically horizontal? How the bleep are you supposed to fill it with oil? I used one of my tiny funnels with a small hose on the end to get the oil to bend 90 degrees, but man that is just dumb. It made a 2 min operation into a 15 min PITA.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I actually had a small long neck funnel that worked quite well. I did over fill it though and had to drain some. Not the best place for the oil fill.

How is the shipping handled. Do they deliver to your door or do you have to go to a terminal somewhere? I see you have to pay $38 to have it packed for shipping. What kind of ballpark amount can you give us to expect to add to our final price. These are on the high side of how much I would pay for one so the shipping charge would either make or break the deal.

Shipping on mine to south central Missouri was $256. Was shipped Fed-Ex to my local lumber yard. I have anything large or heavy sent there, cause they have a fork lift and it's cheaper to deliver to a business address. You can also pick up at the closest terminal.

I agree - starts easy, runs smooth, not too loud, overall seems solid... With one caveat: Who was the genius that made the oil fill port basically horizontal? How the bleep are you supposed to fill it with oil? I used one of my tiny funnels with a small hose on the end to get the oil to bend 90 degrees, but man that is just dumb. It made a 2 min operation into a 15 min PITA.

Next time

Put a car jack under the side of the splitter with the oil fill and tip it up about another 15 degrees or so. Use the long neck funnel and you'll find things go a bit better. Also measure out the amount of oil needed before filling and just go until the container is empty.

While I don't have a SS I use this process on other OPE with the same issue,

Take Care

Mine shipped FedEx Ground. It came right to my shop, but only because I have a commercial address. As far as I know they won't come to your house. Perhaps you should talk to Paul and see if you can setup your own shipping if you believe you can get it done cheaper..? Uship.com..? Unishipper..? I'd ask, Paul seems very easy to get a long with.

On a side note....read the safety tag on the splitter. Along with the normal don't operate and drink, etc. It says "Do not operate if you lack common sense".... :laugh: I always get a kick out of that....:cheers:

On a side note....read the safety tag on the splitter. Along with the normal don't operate and drink, etc. It says "Do not operate if you lack common sense".... :laugh: I always get a kick out of that....:cheers:

I got a kick out of that also :cheers:

Was a very smooth deal! I talked to paul on the phone one day, sent a check
the next day and had a Super Split two weeks later.

Latest posts

Back