I've Been Screwed!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the moral of the story as "Don't alter or repair something that is contested until the investigation is complete." ;)

Ian

I realized that when I chose to go ahead with the repair and decided to take the risk. However, PayPal asked for documentation of the condition of the saw as I received it and for invoices of the repairs or parts. Why even ask for that documentation if you're going to deny the claim anyway? I took a know risk and lost. I'm just glad it's behind me.

read the above post.

I don't know why they denied the claim, but you're statement about not using paypal is ridiculous. You should have waited the 30 days until the claim was resolved to work on the saw.

I think pay pal is horrible. U call them if u have a problem, then u get a person who barely speaks the English language. Then they say the problem will be fixed in 3 to 5 days.......YEA RIGHT!!!! I have a situation with payapl, where money got put into an old account that i don't have acess to anymore. I need the money to get transfurd to my current account. 4 times now, they said my money was going to be transfurd within 3 to 5 days.......well that was 2 weeks ago. Looks like im gonna have to call them AGAIN to see whats taking them so long. I have been trying to get the money transfurd for a month and a half now.......its a good amoount of money too.

One more thing. I don't want to forget the relationships I've built here because of this saw. Had I not repaired this saw, I would have never had the privelege of being blessed by Ekka with his donor saws. My emotions have run a roller coaster through the life of this thread. I choose to remember the good times and move on. Thanks again to everyone that contributed. Now, I've got to get back to work on the 036 Pro I'm rebuilding;)

I guess I might as well throw this out there.

I have had good luck on the Buyer's end of PayPal. Had a situation a while ago where the item was advertised as new and turned out it was pirated. Within 1 day of filing the claim, the seller had refunded my money, plus shipping. I hadn't even sent the item back yet.

From the Seller's standpoint, Paypal in a pain in the backside. It irks me how much they charge. I only use them on small ticket stuff.

Back to the saw: I think this whole thread turned out okay. Lot's of live and learn in this one.;)

I don't know why they denied the claim, but you're statement about not using paypal is ridiculous. You should have waited the 30 days until the claim was resolved to work on the saw.

+1

I guess that personal accountability is a thing of the past. With the course of action blsnelling took, it's hard to lay the blame on PayPal .

The frustrating thing here is that PayPal asked for documentation of the repair and then denied the claim because it was repaired. Makes no sense to me.

Sounds to me like you provided them with all the evidence they needed to deny the claim.

Paypal needed to document that you repaired it so they could deny the claim.;)
Paypal is great as long as you fund the purchase THROUGH A CREDIT CARD. If it's not right you can put it back in the box and ship it back. Dispute the charge with your credit card and send a copy of the shipping invoice to prove you sent the item back. The credit card co. will credit your acct. If the seller accepts the item back the credit will be permanent. If the seller rejects the return the burden of proof will be on HIM as to why he's right and you are wrong. If he loses you may wind up keeping both the credit and the item. Once they find in your favor the credit becomes permanent and the card co is done. If you have the item back in your possession because he rejected the return and he now wants it back because the credit card decided in your favor he will have to work out a deal with you. Follow the $ and remember your credit card co. is paid by YOU and works for YOU. Paypal gets paid by the SELLER and works for the SELLER. Why do you think Paypal will do anything they can to keep you from using a credit card to fund a payment? Because charge backs from credit cards keep both the seller and PAYPAL from getting paid.

blsnelling, you bought a lemon that was misrepresented on e-bay and tried to get your money back using paypal.

However in the meantime, you got your money back in kind.

You should have given your paypal claim away.
You can't have a cake and eat it too.
Or...you should dispense the same kindness that was used on you....or....don't judge so you will not be judged...and many more on that line.

Only in my opinion of course.

blsnelling, you bought a lemon that was misrepresented on e-bay and tried to get your money back using paypal.

However in the meantime, you got your money back in kind.

You should have given your paypal claim away.
You can't have a cake and eat it too.
Or...you should dispense the same kindness that was used on you....or....don't judge so you will not be judged...and many more on that line.

Only in my opinion of course.

That's quite a ridiculous statement. It's not because the buyer has found a way to limit his loss on that saw, that the seller should get away for comitting obvious fraude with that sale. The evidence for fraud was clear.

I agree however that blsnelling should have waited for a decision of Paypal before starting to work on the saw, as a possible deal could have implied returning the goods to the buyer.

Paypal was pretty smart to use the repair excuse to deny the claim, but it was to be expected.
Be careful on ebay !

OUCH! I bought this MS 440 of eBay and got it today. LINK All it was supposed to need was a coil and a starter rope, per a dealer's inspection. It's also only supposed to be two years old. Check out what I got.

I put a different coil in it, fixed the starter and tried to start it. It tried to fire but would not start. The enging was very noisy when I pulled the starter rope. I finally removed the muffler and found that the piston is extremely scored. I then removed the cylinder to find that it is ruined as well as the crank. There are deep gouges in the cylinder wall. The connecting rod bearing cage on the crank is all busted up. This is what was causing all the noise. This saw is toast. You can see that the saw has been apart before. The cylinder has been honed and the piston sanded. You can also see pieces of old rings embedded in the cylinder head and piston top. These did not come from the piston in the saw. It's rings are not broken.

I sent an email and offered to reassemble and return the saw as is or discuss replacing the crank, cylinder/piston, and gaskets. I even sent links of the best deals on a used crank and cylinder/piston. I haven't heard back since I just sent it. What's your take on this?

Seems and looks very bad, not acceptable...:deadhorse: :bang: :cry:

I know this is an old case, just wanted to express my wiew.....

I am very sceptical about buying used stuff, especially from private persons.

Last edited:
That's quite a ridiculous statement. It's not because the buyer has found a way to limit his loss on that saw, that the seller should get away for comitting obvious fraude with that sale. The evidence for fraud was clear.

I agree however that blsnelling should have waited for a decision of Paypal before starting to work on the saw, as a possible deal could have implied returning the goods to the buyer.

Paypal was pretty smart to use the repair excuse to deny the claim, but it was to be expected.
Be careful on ebay !

:deadhorse: :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back