Jar head getting started in the business need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam0321

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok so like the title says I am in the U.S Marines and have been working in the tree business as a climber for about 7 years now (off and on) I have always enjoyed it and am looking to start my own very small business. mainly just a few jobs hear and there on the weekend when not in the field or deployed. I have a ton of climbing gear to include a bunch of ropes and spikes. I am working with a linemans belt and rock climbing harness right now. looking to get a cougar(so if anyone has one laying around pm me) I also only have a ms 230..ms250 and a borrowed 361. So my questions are

what saws would you recomend to get started not looking to spend a fourtune just enough to get started preff stihl.
I was thinking
ms 192tc( i know the 200t is alot better but I am not a pro) and ms 361 for starters that should cover the base and like I said this will be a part time thing not looking to get out of the Corps and make a living doing this probaly only 1-3 jobs a month. been looking on e-bay alot so if you could tell me what would be a good price I would be very greatfull to any input would be nice
thanks
adam
also if you guys have extra gear laying around youll take a few bucks for let me know

ok so like the title says I am in the U.S Marines and have been working in the tree business as a climber for about 7 years now (off and on) I have always enjoyed it and am looking to start my own very small business. mainly just a few jobs hear and there on the weekend when not in the field or deployed. I have a ton of climbing gear to include a bunch of ropes and spikes. I am working with a linemans belt and rock climbing harness right now. looking to get a cougar(so if anyone has one laying around pm me) I also only have a ms 230..ms250 and a borrowed 361. So my questions are

what saws would you recomend to get started not looking to spend a fourtune just enough to get started preff stihl.
I was thinking
ms 192tc( i know the 200t is alot better but I am not a pro) and ms 361 for starters that should cover the base and like I said this will be a part time thing not looking to get out of the Corps and make a living doing this probaly only 1-3 jobs a month. been looking on e-bay alot so if you could tell me what would be a good price I would be very greatfull to any input would be nice
thanks
adam
also if you guys have extra gear laying around youll take a few bucks for let me know

Welcome to the site. I dont climb trees so i cant help with that, but i can say thank you for serving. Semper Fi.

thanks for the support. its rare these days. like i said I am not just looking for climbing gear looking for good all around saws

I know you say you are not a pro but I would still suggest getting the 200 over the 192. Its worth the extra money. Welcome to the tree biz .​

Welcome, Personally I like husky but even if you are not full time go with the pro class saws. They are better built and have more power than the consumer model generally. Yes they are spendy but in the long run will last longer and be more productive for you, because in this business you will soon learn time is money when you are the big cheese. I started out using rock climbing gear but the tree only gear is the way to go. Keeping to my rock roots I use a petzel navaho and love it light and comfy.:cheers:

I have a used petzl navaho bod full body harness i will let go for $150 great little harnesses. Also he 200T is so much better than anything else I would definitly upgrade to one! You would never be sorry with that choice.

Thanks for all the input guys. Most of the crews I used to work for used mainly husky's so that is what I learned on but I own a couple of stihls's now and would like to keep it uniformed(prob the jar head speking out in me) but I wont pass up a good deal. I know it will make more sence to just break down and get the 200t so I might. but thanks to everyone for the help I am finding that my rock climbing gear is getting transformed into tree gear.

Not too sure about pricing for used saws. IMO 192T has too little power. If you're put off by a $600 price tag for 200T, consider a Jonsered CS2139T. Great power, similar specs to 200T, but about $200 cheaper.

Where you at in Florida? I've got a buddy who is by Cape Coral, could probably send you some work occasionally if you're nearby.

Tough time to get into the business. With the hard economic times, prices have dropped (by as much a 1/3 where I live) and competition is cutthroat. Many are going out of business.

Best of luck to you anyhow. I would put my money into a 200T and consider it an investment if you have the money. If not a 192T or comparable saw will get you buy until you can buy the best. That is one area where you really do get what you pay for.

The 361 is an excellent saw. I have one and love it. Not much you will not be able to do with that saw. If you ever get into anything where you need a larger saw though you will want to go ahead and get a 441 or 440. It is about as small of a big saw as you want if your doing commercial tree work. A 660 or comparable saw would be even nicer to have.

The saws that I mostly use are my 200T, 260, 361 and 044. I will use my 192T on smaller trim jobs sometimes but it is mostly a backup. I like to use my handsaw on a lot of prune jobs instead of carrying the 200 or 192.

Ropes and saddles are a personal thing but seat saddles are more comfortable than leg loops in my opinion and certainly would be more comfortable than a lineman's belt. I started out with the old Weaver butt strap saddles and climbed on one for years. Reasonably comfy and won't break the bank. I have not climbed in a Cougar but I have had good results with Weaver saddles in the past. Again, you get what you pay for here. Comfort comes at a price. I am now using an Older Petz Navajo Mini Boss. They don't make that saddle anymore as they have changed the Navajo to a different style.

Ropes are a personal choice as well. I am a fan of New England Safety Blue. I have used this rope for many years now. It makes an excellent light to medium rigging line after you retire it from climbing and is very affordable. I like to use my Safety Blue climbing line in muddy conditions or sappy trees and spare my primary climbing line which is a Poison Ivy rope.

For heavy rigging I like the Sampson double braid. I use 3/4 because I do a lot of heavy rigging and will sometimes hang whole trees. About 90% of my rigging is done with the 1/2" Safety Blue though (Retired climbing line, not the one I climb on). My next rigging line with be 5/8" though.

A good handsaw, throw line and throw weight would be a good investment as well.

Hope this helps. Sorry, no extra gear here.

Lot's of luck and I would also like to thank you for your service.

I am locate din Panama City Fl. I know its a tough time to get started but I am not looking to make a living off of it. Mainly just a few jobs here and there to throw a little extra money in the bank. I have been trolling e-bay for a top handle and a good 361. A few guys on here have been very generious with giving me some great deals on gear. I still need some saws and rigging gear. think Im good on climbing and clean up gear. I have a ton of ropes. for some reason I cant seem to post in the want to buy section???

thanks again for all the help guys

I agree with Tree MD on the handsaw. I carry my handsaw up with me on every job. I can trim out smaller junk that gets in the way faster with my silky in many cases instead of starting and dealing with the bulk of the chainsaw. As a matter of fact I have done removals with the handsaw used for almost every branch at or under about 1.5 inches. It is great for shredding off little suckers that impede your progress up a lead also.

Back