Johnson Wood Stove ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using a Johnsons stove I bought used for five years. I burn it 24-7 all winter. It is plumbed into my heater ducts. If it has a handle that goes onto a square nut in the fire door that shakes the grate it is setup to burn coal too. I burn about 5 cords of wood a year and two tons of soft coal a year with it even though I do not have the coal grate. It has been a great stove for me my dad has one of the smaller Johnsons and he has not had a problem either. Actually the only problem that I have had with it is if the power goes out it will smoke the paint off of it and stink up the house bad. When the power goes out I have to choke it down and pull the ducts off so the heat will come out of the jackets. It does use std fire brick if you need it I got mine from TSC. I leave one of the heat pipes cracked to put more heat into the basement.

IMG_0149.JPG

Billy
I need help with mine i got the same stove. When i go to fill it i open the damper and do so but there is so much smoke in my house. I got 3 kids and cant do the smoke. I also have truble with it not heating my small 2 bedroom trailer???!!! Any ideas!!!

Maylyn, first a pic of your stove would help, fuel must be dry. It sounds as if you might have a draft problem, and if your fuel is not dry then creosote will build up in your flue. first thing to do is to take a look at the cap on your flue. If it has a screen, I will bet it is pretty well plugged up and will need to be cleaned or just remove the screening- very common problem with less than adequately dried fuel, and if that is the case than a cleaning of the flue would also be in order. Basically these are just a box stove with an air jacket around the burn box that the fan blows air through. Johnson stove MFG has been out of Business for quite some time. The go kart section is still doing something although I do not know what as I am still sharpening some saw blades for them every so often. Most of the property that had the track and mini golf stuff on it has been sold and converted to a high end personal storage complex. They were a pretty popular stove/ furnace back in the day here in the Midwest.
I am almost positive that your flue is mostly plugged at the top

Back