"Join the narrow kerf revolution"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerdoug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is a line that is used when selling saw chain.

Question: Have you seen an up tick in people running with narrow chain on larger saws?

Here is a video of the 63PS (Yellow) and 26RS (yellow)

Do you think the chain would break on a 562xp ported with 63PS on it? Normally I run RSLK 3/8 50 gauge on the 562 xp.

Maybe i'll try that on my 2100cd. Looks like it would out cut the .404 I have on it now. I think i'll leave the narrow kerf chain for my echo cs400.

There are several flavors of NK... mostly on .325 chain. You are comparing 3/8 std (or is it .325?) to 3/8 Picco here. Picco also has an NK version, but I assume you are not using that stuff.

I have one 026 that I run a large mount Picco bar and chain on, and it rips. Large mount picco bars are extremely hard to get in the US though. Supposedly they are still available in the EU. Stihl sold them very briefly on the 024 when they came out here, and they discontinued them. People were running them on larger 60-70cc saws for milling, mostly (and they still do). Stihl was afraid of a liability lawsuit if they break. Logosol was also selling large mount Stihl picco bars for a while but also discontinued them in the US, last I looked. Guys in Oz say that 0.050 std 3/8 loops break on them on the hard euc and gum trees there, and they use mostly 0.063 gauge there for that reason. Picco on a 60cc saw would not last long down under.

That is picco chain I think narrow kerf is more a class of .325.

I can state I brought my stihl saw manual into the parts part of a non chain large hardware store farm feed place. It shows four kinds of picco chain and some .325 depending on how it is set up the carbide duro, ps3, pm3, pmx which is ripping chain. I was told to to make the ripping by changing the top angle of the ps chain. These guys are not at all bashful about refusing to sell something "for liability reasons" Now go over to the chainsaw milling section on this forum. I read about turning down .404 sprockets to just the right size to fit pmx. There is probably some misprint about the size of saw ps3 is for as they call out smaller than pm3 on the stihl website. Somehow I also think I have read of kits for 50cc stihl saws in europe of one eight tooth sprocket a bar and a couple of chains of the picco super chain. I would reason if the place you got your 562 from won't set you up for the .325 narrow kerf the picco stuff while more robust than the 91 oregon is still most likely less robust than the narrow .325

Question: Have you seen an up tick in people running with narrow chain on larger saws?

Do you think the chain would break on a 562xp ported with 63PS on it? Normally I run RSLK 3/8 50 gauge on the 562 xp.

Very popular in the EU because for the average firewood cutter it just makes the whole task easier. Having cut with such a set up it makes the job much easier. They market it in Germany more as a easier less tiring way to cut up your firewood.

It looks like Stihl is trying to follow Oregon's 95VP that's popular on 50cc Husqvarnas. According to Stihl's website, that chain is ideal for saws less than 2.0 bhp. That 261 is way more than 2.0 bhp. I'm still scratching my head as to the reasoning behind mfgs suggested bar & chain combo's though. Husky specs .325 only for the 346xp and for years sold 55 ranchers(less power) with 18" 3/8" setups.

63PS wouldn't hold up to to a 562. That video is not for the U.S. market. I cannot even get the the Picco bar for a MS261 shown in the video. I have no clue if you could get one for a Husky.

What actually causes chains to break? Some have advised a powerhead can actually be too large for a given chain. But don't people use smaller more narrow kerf chains on very large powerheads for milling?

Husky specs .325 only for the 346xp and for years sold 55 ranchers(less power) with 18" 3/8" setups.
We've got a Husqvarna 55 at work that was bought new in 1998 that came with .325NK. Until a couple years ago, I didn't know what narrow kerf was; it was just a weird size - the other .325 .050. I will say this, though - if you have a lesser bar, say oregon homeowner, and bury it, you will find out just how evenly your left and right cutters are filed.

We've got a Husqvarna 55 at work that was bought new in 1998 that came with .325NK. Until a couple years ago, I didn't know what narrow kerf was; it was just a weird size - the other .325 .050. I will say this, though - if you have a lesser bar, say oregon homeowner, and bury it, you will find out just how evenly your left and right cutters are filed.
Yeah I know what you mean. My 346xp came with narrow kerf. It is wicked fast but for some reason is very jumpy and rough cutting at times. It seems to get pinched easier than the std kerf in my opinion.

Yeah, it does seem to bind if you stab in the spikes and lean. I've found it's pretty tough to cut straight or make connecting cuts on bigger wood unless your chain is nigh on to perfect.

For the non-stihl-heads, what exactly is "picco"? Maybe simply 3/8" LP? K.I.S.S. please.

For the non-stihl-heads, what exactly is "picco"? Maybe simply 3/8" LP? K.I.S.S. please.

Yes, Stihl Picco is a brand name for low profile/LP 3/8. PM3 is Stihl safety Picco semi-chisel. Stihl does not make semi-Picco in non-safety (for some reason). PS and PS3 are full chisel non-safety/safety Picco from Stihl. Harder to get those style loops though.

Fixed typo... thanks Troll!

Last edited:
I run a Picco B&C on my 211, usually 16 inch. For loops on it, I use Low Profile Carlton non-safety semi-chisel. Same stuff that Bailey's has rebranded as Woodland Pro.

I also used Picco bars with Carlton LP on my previous collection of small mount 210/230/025/250 (1123 series) saws. Lots of people prefer .325 on the 025/250, but it was slower running by a long shot. .325 also pinched on that saw a lot for some reason. I could never find any NK B&C for a Stihl small mount in .325. I also could not find a picco rim drive for the 025/250. I had several with .325 rims, but I had to run spur sprockets with Picco. They make Picco rim/drum for the 211 now though, and they are the exact same size as the 025/250.

..... Supposedly they are still available in the EU. Stihl sold them very briefly on the 024 when they came out here, and they discontinued them. People were running them on larger 60-70cc saws for milling, mostly (and they still do). .....

They are still sold here (as far as I know), and mainly used on the 066/660 for milling and log house building. Stihl has been selling a special Logosol version of the 066/660, with a picco/63pmx setup.

Yes, Stihl Picco is a brand name for low profile/LP 3/8. PM3 is Stihl safety Picco semi-chisel. Stihl does not make semi-Picco in non-safety (for some reason). PS and PS3 are full chisel non-safety/safety Picco from Stihl. Harder to get those style loops though.

Fixed the misprint......

Yeah I know what you mean. My 346xp came with narrow kerf. It is wicked fast but for some reason is very jumpy and rough cutting at times. It seems to get pinched easier than the std kerf in my opinion.

I am not a fan of NK on the 346xp (I strongly dislike it on that saw), but I have been using it on the 353, and like it on the 339xp.

A large disadvantage with the .325NK is that there is no chisel chain made for it.

Latest posts

Back