"Join the narrow kerf revolution"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My stuff comes out of the Stihl NW warehouse. I have no clue if those bars are available anywhere else in the US.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

My stuff comes out of the Stihl NW warehouse. I have no clue if those bars are available anywhere else in the US.
What matters is what it is, and you still didn't tell?

Anyway, get rid of that silly Tapatalk/Iphone referance in your posts, it is really annoying! :buttkick:

Should have quoted big t double in my post. That was what I was referring to. BTW, yes I can get the hard nose bars.

Sent from TapaTalk on my Iphone

Stihl also only makes .325 in 0.063 gauge.

Stihl only makes .325 .063 bars to fit their saws. But they have been making .050 and .058 guage .325 chain for many years. 23RS/RM and 25RS/RM.

And my dealer has a 16" 3003 mount 3/8" Picco bar on the shelf. We checked the # and at that time he could order more. Trying to find one longer than 16" however is much tougher. ;)

Ah yes, .325 bars only in 0.063, and all kinds of loops with gauges that will not fit it. Makes perfect sense. But then, I dumped all my .325 B&C many years ago. Picco is better on small mount Stihl saws, and I run all 3/8 std. on my large mounts after running many tests comparing 3/8 to .325. The kerf on those is nearly identical, as were the cutting times comparing them on my 026s and 310s.

No Stihl shop in the west that I talked to (I have been in many) could get a nose sprocket Picco large mount bar of any size. They usually look at me like I am on crack when I ask for them. Logosol quit selling them here in the US. I called them about them several years ago. I did manage to get a batch of Picco rims that fit an 026 clutch drum from the Stihl shop in Cottage Grove. They have a huge inventory of parts, and lots of them are old. My understanding is that Stihl quit selling the large mount picco bars stateside about 6 months after the 024 came out many years ago. People were putting them on large saws and they were afraid of the liability issues. Or so I heard. Similar to the Logosol story in the US.

Last edited:
This one came on a new saw recently. It is not narrow kerf. It may help those who are trying to go narrow driver. All of my stuff is 26 RM or RS 67.

Are you bore cutting a lot, since you ask about that? ......

No...I was just asking to see if he could order them since they are discontinued in my area. It's weird, like you said, that a dealer in one part of the country is able to get things that another can't. For instance the 3003 picco bar I still hopefully have on order.

This one came on a new saw recently. It is not narrow kerf. It may help those who are trying to go narrow driver. All of my stuff is 26 RM or RS 67.
What model saw was that? 3003 mount so it's over 50cc?

I'm seeing that part number pop up in official recommendations for the 261, but they list the 26RMC3-67 chain to go with it. Now hows that one gonna work?:confused:

I'm seeing that part number pop up in official recommendations for the 261, but they list the 26RMC3-67 chain to go with it. Now hows that one gonna work?:confused:

It came on a MS 261 C-M VW from stihl.ca. This particular saw was not available from stihlusa at the time I bought it, it's also made in Germany!
That .050 bar was marked made in USA. I ended up finding a .063 bar that was marked made in Germany. My dealer said 23 RM 67 chains were on back order, so I decided I'd better not hang on to the .050.

It came on a MS 261 C-M VW from stihl.ca. This particular saw was not available from stihlusa at the time I bought it, it's also made in Germany!
That .050 bar was marked made in USA. I ended up finding a .063 bar that was marked made in Germany. My dealer said 23 RM 67 chains were on back order, so I decided I'd better not hang on to the .050.
Interesting that it even exists tho after years of Stihl making .325 bars exclusively in .063. But I haven't been around as long as some, so maybe others know of Stihl .325 .050 setups? My dealer has 23RS on rolls, we spun more than a couple loops of that for Husky guys. ;)

There is a local bloke that has this.. For 100.00 seems its a 20" any interest in this gents?
CHAIN: 23RSC80 x2
BAR: 3003 000 6821 .325"

Not at all, unless they have "reused" that part number on a .063 bar (not likely)....

Can I run NK .325 on my J-red 2095?

Can, yes - if you can find a bar (never heard of one for the large Husky Mount - but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist?).

I wouldn't be surpriced if such a setup (with 95R chain) has been used somewhere.....

Anyone else on here that's having a hard time with sharpening and the performance of 95VPX???

Motorsen

I agree it isn't the easiest chain to file well - the combination of a narrow edge and semi chisel doesn't offer much reference.

Generally, I find chisel chain easier to file well than semi chisel, as there is much better reference to what you are doing.

No...I was just asking to see if he could order them since they are discontinued in my area. It's weird, like you said, that a dealer in one part of the country is able to get things that another can't. For instance the 3003 picco bar I still hopefully have on order.

Of course you know that it isn't really true when they tell you that - there just is some point in the supply chain (likely distributer level?) that isn't willing to stock or even order it. :givebeer:

Last edited:
s
Of course you know that it in't really true when they tell you that - there just is some point in the supply chain (likely distributer level?) that isn't willing to stock or even order it. :givebeer:

Its all controlled with distributor choke points here. The way it works in the US with chainsaws is that there are regional distributors for saws and parts. Shops generally cannot go out of their area to get parts or saws. Which is why some areas now can get a new Stihl 661 and others cannot (yet). Similar to EOL saws though. I was able to buy 440s and 361s a lot later here in the PNW than most could in the US.

Back when I was talking with Dolmar about opening a saw shop I was pointed at their Western distributor. Turned out that the guy was a jerk and that distributor has all kinds of other product lines, not just Dolmar. Dolmar was very low on their priority list. Talking with other western Dolmar dealers, they said that the western distributor does not carry a lot of saws or parts in inventory. So you are stuck with what they have, which is a huge reason why Dolmar saws are all but non-existent here and the better saws were in very short supply (like the 7900 and the 5100s). Everything winds up being back ordered at the distributor level. The distributor was also said to be a turd when it came to resolving warranty issues, especially with the 5100s. Then the dealers also have to compete with online Dolly sales and backdoor sales out of other regions. I see a lot of sellers here on AS doing that with Husky, Jred and Dolmar. With Dolly you also have to contend with Makita saws, which are just rebranded Dolmars. Stihl is very strong about restricting all of that kind of business, but Husky/Jred and Dolmar are not.

Should have quoted big t double in my post. That was what I was referring to. BTW, yes I can get the hard nose bars.

Sent from TapaTalk on my Iphone

I meant wide nose, not hard nose....see about a 3003 000 9630. its a wide nose 24 or 25"

Latest posts

Back