Jonsered 2051

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcat Jerry

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a 2051 for $50 bucks. THe guy had it his garage. THsi thing looks like new. FIred right up soudned good. I have a 0221 Stihl now. Is this 2051 any good? Is it worth $50.00? :confused: I don't know much about chain saws. Just bought 5 acres of woods, need something a little heavier duty than the 021.

I'm new to this site. So appreciate any input

Thanks

Real good firewood saw.It will run circles around that 021.
$50 is a steal for a good running 2051.

ITs a done deal

Hey guys thanks for the input. I pick it up last night and tried it. Wow that has some RPM'S to it. WHen through a log like ti was butter. I have a 021 Stihl and this Jonsered seems to have more power and cuts better. Now thinking of selling the Stihl.

Pick it up!

The 2051 was the very first Jonsered with Air injection/Turbo (about 1987).

It is a hot rod 51cc saw, and was replaced by the larger displacement (and still hot) 2055 in the early 1990s.

The 2054 allways was the "lesser" saw in the "family", some laters ones further detued as well.

I sure would pick up that saw, given the opportunity......:)

Hey guys thanks for the input. I pick it up last night and tried it. Wow that has some RPM'S to it. WHen through a log like ti was butter. I have a 021 Stihl and this Jonsered seems to have more power and cuts better. Now thinking of selling the Stihl.

keep the 021 for limbing and the small stuff, get a new chain for it, a real chain and not one of those lawyer chains they sell at blowes or home and disaster your 021 will cut like a new saw.

First welcome to the site!
I am very jealous you got a 2051 for that price nice score!
Oh and most important it's a Jred!!!! Once you own one you just want to get rid of your Stihls:)

It is a hot rod 51cc saw, and was replaced by the larger displacement (and still hot) 2055 in the early 1990s.

The 2054 allways was the "lesser" saw in the "family", some laters ones further detued as well.

Hey Troll

I have a 2050 turbo.What's the difference between this and the 2051?

Not really detuned. I prefer the smaller displacement saw anyday. It cuts faster and has a better power curve in my opinion.

Hey Troll

I have a 2050 turbo.What's the difference between this and the 2051?

The 2051 is a high revving saw, I think it runs at 14,800 or something like that. Much higher than the 2050. The 2050 is a homeowner saw, while the 2051 would be comparable to the 2153, only the 2051 is better.

Oil Mixture

I'm so glad I found this thread. Feel like in seventh Heaven. Being novis and knowing nothing about Chain saws, this is very helpful. So......... another question, the guy I bought this from said the oil mixture is very finnicky. If it isn't just right it will run poorly. Any input on this?:confused:

I'm so glad I found this thread. Feel like in seventh Heaven. Being novis and knowing nothing about Chain saws, this is very helpful. So......... another question, the guy I bought this from said the oil mixture is very finnicky. If it isn't just right it will run poorly. Any input on this?:confused:

too little oil, distroy the engine.....tooo much foul plug
i run 50 to 1 in all my saws

Last edited:

Not really - but as it is a hot-rodded saw, make sure you use premium gas and a good fully synthetic oil - no dubious dino oil.

Fifty to one sounds good.

Last edited:
Oil Mixture

Hey guys thanks again. Troll......Do you recommend Premium in the Stihl also?
I'm so amazied with the amount of knowledge on this site. I am a couple of sites and all they do is argue over which best. This sight actually answers questions. I'm in awe:jawdrop:

I have a chance to buy a 2051 for $50 bucks. THe guy had it his garage. THsi thing looks like new. FIred right up soudned good. I have a 0221 Stihl now. Is this 2051 any good? Is it worth $50.00? :confused: I don't know much about chain saws. Just bought 5 acres of woods, need something a little heavier duty than the 021.

I'm new to this site. So appreciate any input

Thanks

I'll give you $60 right now sight unseen! It's a great saw.

Back