Jonsered 520SP questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewspens

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a few questions about a 520SP that I was given a while back by my father. Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this saw? After hours of searching the net, I was only able to find an IPL. Also, will any of the newer husky fuel and oil caps fit this saw. I am looking to find caps with the scrench fitting on them, I am getting sick of knuckle-busting the stock caps.

Jonsered 520SP Manual

I have the manual for that saw because I still have my 520SP and it runs great...........Anything I can help you with, just ask.

Carl in Arkansas: :greenchainsaw:

I have the manual for that saw because I still have my 520SP and it runs great...........Anything I can help you with, just ask.

Carl in Arkansas: :greenchainsaw:

Carl

Any chance of you scanning that manual to pdf and emailing me a copy?

I have a running 520SP (and one parts saw), but no manuals for it.

Thanks either way!

:cheers:

Is the power of the 520 sp listed in the specs?

Glad to find that there are other running 520 Sp's out there. This Fall I brought mine back from a remote cabin where it has seen little use for 20 years. It wasn't used hard when it was young and it's in really good shape. I'm impressed at the power/weight ratio and the low vibes. It was supposed to be my backup saw for wood cutting and I find myself using it much of the time. It's just about the perfect size for the stuff in my area.

Have any of the 520 SP owners also used an old edition Husky 246 XP? If so, how do they compare?

Does the manual (or any source) give the power of the saw?

Those damned caps are a pain though and I would like to replace them.

Glad to find that there are other running 520 Sp's out there. This Fall I brought mine back from a remote cabin where it has seen little use for 20 years. It wasn't used hard when it was young and it's in really good shape. I'm impressed at the power/weight ratio and the low vibes. It was supposed to be my backup saw for wood cutting and I find myself using it much of the time. It's just about the perfect size for the stuff in my area.

Have any of the 520 SP owners also used an old edition Husky 246 XP? If so, how do they compare?

Does the manual (or any source) give the power of the saw?

Those damned caps are a pain though and I would like to replace them.

Here is a bit of info on the 520SP:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...45a6255e870a105788256b6b001a3309?OpenDocument

520SP manual

If you guys have the patience to hang on for a while, I'll see if I can scan and send you a copy of the manual. RIght now, the little Jonsered is working it's butt off. We are in the middle of the ice storm belt that hammered north central Arkansas. We had no power for 10 days and we lost or have severe damage to nearly 100 oak and hickory trees on our property. Lots of cutting to do.....

If you guys have the patience to hang on for a while, I'll see if I can scan and send you a copy of the manual. RIght now, the little Jonsered is working it's butt off. We are in the middle of the ice storm belt that hammered north central Arkansas. We had no power for 10 days and we lost or have severe damage to nearly 100 oak and hickory trees on our property. Lots of cutting to do.....

Yeah, old Jonsereds owners have a lot of patience. Sometimes it takes years to find a document (owners manual, service manual, etc) so waiting will not be a problem.

Besides, you obviously have bigger fish to fry so have at it and good luck with the clean up from the ice storm!

PS .... thanks for agreeing to share your owners manual.

Jonsered 520SP parts

I was looking for parts for my 520SP and found a couple of places that claim to have the sprocket I need and new at that. One is a Jonsereds dealer in Nitro, WV. I did order it from them this morning. Does anyone know anthing about Simonians Saw Shop in Three Rivers, CA ? He replied back to my mail but for some reason, I felt a bit apprehensive about dealing with him. According to his ad, he's been in business since 1971 but just wanted some opinions on it.

:help:

I was looking for parts for my 520SP and found a couple of places that claim to have the sprocket I need and new at that. One is a Jonsereds dealer in Nitro, WV. I did order it from them this morning. Does anyone know anthing about Simonians Saw Shop in Three Rivers, CA ? He replied back to my mail but for some reason, I felt a bit apprehensive about dealing with him. According to his ad, he's been in business since 1971 but just wanted some opinions on it.

:help:

Try a search her on AS about Simonians. I seem to recall reading some good things about him, but cannot recall exactly what I read and have never dealt with him personally.

Nice find on the sprocket!

Hey I would love a copy of the manual if you still have a copy that you could email me or send to me. Let me know

We had no power for 10 days and we lost or have severe damage to nearly 100 oak

Been there done that, a few years back up in New England
Sorry to say but You got a tough row to hoe my friend.
Lost the nuetrul wire on the incoming power and surged the house with 220v.
Lost most of my appliances.
I will never forget the sight and sound of the National Guard coming up my road

Sorry to say so, but it was very far from one of Jonsereds better models - it might not be worth the trouble of fixing it!

Correct, except if you get the saw for free(or very cheap)! Just got one running for nothing at all. Even had a bar/chain from another free 520 that I am using on it. It still cuts, so it can't be ALL bad!:hmm3grin2orange:

Correct, except if you get the saw for free(or very cheap)! Just got one running for nothing at all. Even had a bar/chain from another free 520 that I am using on it. It still cuts, so it can't be ALL bad!:hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry to say so, but it was very far from one of Jonsereds better models - it might not be worth the trouble of fixing it!

So I am having one "tuned up" at the shop for $80 right now. You saying that is not worth it? When this thing works, it seems like a great limbing saw.

So I am having one "tuned up" at the shop for $80 right now. You saying that is not worth it? When this thing works, it seems like a great limbing saw.

No offense intended, but what is included in the $80.00 tune-up? That seems a bit high, unless the shop is giving a really thorough going over that includes quite a few parts (fuel filter, air filter, fuel & impulse lines, carb kit, sprocket??, etc).

:monkey:

No offense intended, but what is included in the $80.00 tune-up? That seems a bit high, unless the shop is giving a really thorough going over that includes quite a few parts (fuel filter, air filter, fuel & impulse lines, carb kit, sprocket??, etc).

:monkey:

Supposedly that includes new spark plugs, new filter(although they dont make filters for this anymore) compression test to figure out where there is an "air Leak", new "o" ring once air leak found, chain sharpened and motor tuned (which I would assume means cleaning the carb and maybe the pin, etc.). May be a few other things but does that still seem high? I just bought a new MS362 from there and it is a little heavy to do delimbing so I hope this one can come around because it is perfect for that kind of work.

Latest posts

Back