Jonsered 670 parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm needing the following parts for a Jred 670 West Coast. I tried George Blake, but this saw is too new for most of the parts that he stocks.

(1) Air filter cover, # 503 17 61-01.
(2) fasteners for the cover, # 503 22 71-01.
(1) gasket? for the bottom of the a/f cover, # 503 53 52-01. I can't tell from the parts list just what the part is, & I don't have the old cover to compare.
(1) Chain catcher, # 503 53 58-01.

I have the K&N air filter & adapter that came off of the saw. Any idea what they're worth used?

As always all help is greatly appreciated.

Chris J.

Last edited:
Wash the K& N , oil it, put it back on and run that saw! Just my opinion -that's what I'd do with it. I've got the same saw (Husky 268XP) with the K&N stack on it-- GREAT saw.

Thanks, Stumper.

Seems that in it's day the 670 & its Husky cousin were hot, & even now quite a few people still like 'em.

I've done some reading here re the K&N filter; it's my understanding they're designed to be used without a filter cover? At least on this saw? When I got this saw the area around around the carb was covered in about 1/4 inch of dust & grunge. I'm no sawyer or mechtech, but that's a lot more dirt than I'm used to seeing around the carb. I don't know what shape the carb is in; I have the rebuild kit but haven't done it yet.

I checked out several suppliers on the net, but most of them only listed parts for newer models, not much for the 670. If anyone knows of a place that I can email or call I'd certainly appreciate the info.

Chris J.

the Jonsered 670 is a great saw and always will be..parts are readily available at almost all Jonsered dealers....the cover will run you about 19 bucks cdn, the two screws(fasteners) about 4 bucks each...and the chain catcher about 3 bucks...the other number you gave is the number for the filter cover...there should be no gasket involved there...

I would not recommend running the saw without the filter cover as it helps the saw keep cool...

Thanks for the info, Dennis

Problem here is no Jonsered dealer (at least not advertised locally). I'll do some calling around.

My parts list, downloaded from the Jred website, doesn't actually show what part 503 53 52-01 is. Good to know what it is.

I don't have the filter cover, & have no experience with the 670 or K&N filters. It doesn't look like the K&N filter will work with the stock filter cover (I recall reading a post here at AS stating the same). Is there an aftermarket cover that'll work? If need be I'll go back to stock air filter & cover.

I've kept my eye out for a parts saw for a while; haven't found any locally, & the ones on eBayware bring fairly high prices. I've priced jug & piston kits, & am a little shocked at the prices.

All input is appreciated, Chris J.

281 XPs came with tall cover to accommodate a rectangular Stack filter but I don't remeber seeing any highbacks for the 670/268.

Justin-the photo is very helpful

because my filter doesn't have the top center 'plug,' & it's very squashed-I'm guessing that s/o tried to force the cover on. I'm going to re-read the threads re parts interchangeability between Jred & Husky, although if I recall correctly the AF covers don't interchange. I've also read advice here at AS recommending replacing or reseating the carb boot. Any thoughts or advice? If replacing it or any related gaskets is a good idea I can ask for that part when I call around for the other parts.

My apologies for so many questions. Chris J.

Chris, I don't know about your carb boot-If the saw runs well without any iindication of an air leak I'd leave it alone. I have to admit that I don't know for certain about the filter cover-I think I've seen a 268 with a Black Jonsey cover on it but I can't swear to it. If your K&N is trashed then you are looking at about 25 bucks for the filter if I remember correctly. That may be a good enough reason to switch it back to stock. Supposedly the K&N stack boosts performance about 10%. My 268 came that way so I've left it on.

Thanks again, Justin.

I'm going to get the actual Jred filter from George Blake, [email protected], & I've contacted Javelin (handle here at AS) because he had some posts stating that he was a former?? Jred dealer. Also called Jonsered & got the # for a local shop (not an authorized dealer) that can order parts. Will post an update once I get this saw going.

I realize that one of my earlier comments make it sound as though I'm referring to the 670 as something of a 'has been' saw; that wasn't my intention.

Thanks again, Justin & Dennis, for your input. Chris J.

Originally posted by daddieslilgirl
i hate jreds they weigh more than i do give me a husky anyday!

Hmmmm.....Lilgirl, For the last couple of decades the Jonseys of the same displacement generally weighed the same as their Husky counterparts.(They are the same saws in prettier Red & Black cases.) Long ago they were a seperate company. For a while after Husky bought Jred the Jonsered line included some unique saws that weren't in the Husky line-In fact, for a time Husquvarna marketed their newest designs as Jonseys,.When the bugs were worked out and the design was field proven they made it in Orange. Now they are pretty much all clones.

I was gonna suggest "Javelin" too because I picked up a 670 from him on here. I need to get a hold him anyway because somehow I've lost the vent screw out of the fuel tank(makes it pretty messy to fill it). If you don't have his email let me know because I think I still have it somewhere.

DadF

I emailed him using the link in his profile here at AS. He sent me an email offering to help with parts, & his return email adrs only showed as TurboXT, or something like that. I responded about a week?? ago, but haven't heard back from Javelin. I'm not sure what gives.

I haven't been pushing for parts because I'm still keeping my eyes open :Eye: for an affordable (insert Nelson Ha, ha) parts saw.

Many thanks, Chris J.

KW, I thought that I might have saved one of his last pm's to me with all of his address info but I didn't. I have also sent him another pm about my vent screw so maybe one of us will hear something back. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a rabid chainsaw junkie like some people are on here but I do like my Jons:)

I'd like to hear from Javelin

to get some idea of parts costs & availability; Dennis did provide some good info in his reponse. I bought my 670 based pretty much on what I'd read here, & the purchase included an unidentified saw which turned out to be a model 90. Unfortunately both saws needed & still need a few parts; it'd help if I was at least a semiexperienced mechtech.

If you here something good from Javelin pass it on.

Chris J.

All I know is that the 670 is a GREAT saw, I would LOVE to have another 10 of em for my army of saws.

Originally posted by oldsaw-addict
All I know is that the 670 is a GREAT saw, I would LOVE to have another 10 of em for my army of saws.

Change your mind since you posted this about a 670 you had?

"If anyone wants this thing its still for sale. I cant keep it anymore. The carb needs sto be rebuilt and adjusted properly, . I cant tune it and just wont put up with it anymore. Time for a Stihl."

i need 670 parts too

ive got a 670 champ that needs a top cover a clutch cover and a muffler. maybe a pair of felling dogs would be nice too. any out there?

Latest posts

Back