Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 111 isn't like the 80 or 90 or any of the smaller J-reds. The oil tank part of the fuel tank assembly not the crankcase. The parts saw listed includes the fuel tank, though its condition is up for debate.

Chris B.

Yes it is, so that's nice in that it requires no motor disassembly to remove/repair the tank section......however those tanks are/were about the only the weak point on the 111....but usually fuel tank issues not the oil tank section......

Ouch!! Just noticed both side are holed......that ebay one might get the OP out of a bind...ask a lot of questions first......maybe get some close up pics of the tank section....back by where the trigger handle bolts on and the bottom....

Hello my friend!!! Don't worry, I'm still kickin' :givebeer:

Today seems like a good day to fire up the mill. I've got three nice walnut logs to saw and a warm indoor place to stack the boards.

Sounds like a plan...sorry to hear of the lay-off...being self employed for the last 30 years I'm used to the highs and lows of the business climate....but that doesn't make it any better when you are out of work......bills don't care..........

A new 111/S saw project is always exciting to hear about....at least to those of us that crave cubes. I'm glad it's in someone else's lap though....lol.

All the older guys I talked to that ran the saw back in the day said that where the handle bolts to the tank is where they usually leak. Be ironic someday if one of these drops into my lap....most likely not gonna happen, but they were sold around here.....ya never know.

Kevin

Sounds like a plan...sorry to hear of the lay-off...being self employed for the last 30 years I'm used to the highs and lows of the business climate....but that doesn't make it any better when you are out of work......bills don't care..........

Man, I can sure relate to that. And I haven't been putting into Social Security either....that's getting ready to bite me in the arse. And yeah, bills don't care one bit what your situation is...lol

Kevin

I found this picture on ebay this morning.

View attachment 440068

I think that same guy was in another promo 910/920/930 advert. The bottom of his pants would have been bobbed(cut) and his boots would have caulks...those are usually pretty visible. Hard hat, Spencer tape, suspenders and hickory shirt all correct. Nice touch would have been the white, cotton fallin' gloves from Madsens/Baileys. Man, I'd sure like that bar with JONSERED on it!

I can't believe you didn't have that pic, Eric!

Kevin

That's a PNW perspective Kevin...you guys need large saw motors and long bars......you would have little use for a saw less then 80cc.....much of the rest of the world doesn't need an 80cc saw.......the trees are not that big so the saws don't need to that large either. In most of Maine a 20" bar is considered a large/long bar...many full time pro cutters run 16-18" bars on a 60+cc saw...no need for a longer bar and larger saw motor....just extra weight to throw around limbing and a longer bar is a lot more dangerous in a thick brush pile. But that is not to say the smaller saws are necessarily or need be of an inferior build. The old Jonsereds company ( before most of the 4XX and 5XX series) considered practically all their saws Professional saws....if they didn't it was either obvious (like a Lil' Jon) or they said so...hence the 49SP.....built on a professional series platform to be able to do a full days work but reduced slightly in power and longevity to appeal to a semi professional market but not to be confused with a light duty homeowner special like a Craftsman or Poulan etc.

With all due respect, many Poulan & Poulan re-badged for Craftsman models around the time of the 49SP were designed to be workhorses. And that includes some of the Poulan saws utilizing plastic parts. Poulan even had Jonsered--and many other manufacturers--beat in the top-handled chainsaw market for a very long time. IIRC the light duty "homeowner" Poulan saws came along later. To my knowledge there is no distinct timeline for the end of "good" Poulan models and the flood of homeowner models; the transition was gradual and there is considerable overlap.

With that said, Jonsered did manage to stay away from the smaller light duty homeowner saw market for a very long time. I'm not sure which company (my guess is Electrolux) decided to offer the 'lesser' Poulan models badged as Jonsered and Husqvarna.

I'm not trying to talk up Poulan (some of their models definitely deserve the bad reputation they have), or bash Jonsered. It simply wouldn't be fair for some folks to think that the 49SP didn't have any competition from Poulan at the time.

With all due respect, many Poulan & Poulan re-badged for Craftsman models around the time of the 49SP were designed to be workhorses. And that includes some of the Poulan saws utilizing plastic parts. Poulan even had Jonsered--and many other manufacturers--beat in the top-handled chainsaw market for a very long time. IIRC the light duty "homeowner" Poulan saws came along later. To my knowledge there is no distinct timeline for the end of "good" Poulan models and the flood of homeowner models; the transition was gradual and there is considerable overlap.

With that said, Jonsered did manage to stay away from the smaller light duty homeowner saw market for a very long time. I'm not sure which company (my guess is Electrolux) decided to offer the 'lesser' Poulan models badged as Jonsered and Husqvarna.

I'm not trying to talk up Poulan (some of their models definitely deserve the bad reputation they have), or bash Jonsered. It simply wouldn't be fair for some folks to think that the 49SP didn't have any competition from Poulan at the time.

True Chris.......I was referring to the later Poulan Pro series that were not pro quality or even semi pro for that matter as a comparison of the difference between these very light duty saws and what Jonsereds called a semi pro saw before the 4XX and 5XX saws....

You never know what will pop up on ebay and here's something I haven't seen. An 801 top cover without the decompression valve hole and rubber plug. I don't know if this is an early version before the 90 was introduced, or maybe early 90's did not have the decomp?

View attachment 440519 View attachment 440520

Interesting...more J'red mystery. I never saw a 90 without a decomp, but I definitely haven't seen them ALL...lol. This was the cover the 801 should have had, not the 90 cover with a rubber plug. I can only guess it was cheaper to make one cover and use the rubber plug for the 801?

Kevin

I'm now the (hopefully) proud owner of a 621.

I'll probably make the time to get this one up and running for the business and replace the 80 currently being used. My 80 was eating spark plugs and I need to figure that one out still. This 621 supposedly has no spark. I bet a six pack I go in there and find someone has fooled around with the points set-up....lol! At least I'm poor in ignition parts....could be the condenser, but I'm betting ham-handed PO.

Kevin

I'm now the (hopefully) proud owner of a 621.

I'll probably make the time to get this one up and running for the business and replace the 80 currently being used. My 80 was eating spark plugs and I need to figure that one out still. This 621 supposedly has no spark. I bet a six pack I go in there and find someone has fooled around with the points set-up....lol! At least I'm poor in ignition parts....could be the condenser, but I'm betting ham-handed PO.

Kevin

Yep...or just oxidized from sitting.....probably a brush with a points file and regap is all it will need to have spark again......

Yep...or just oxidized from sitting.....probably a brush with a points file and regap is all it will need to have spark again......

Yep, you gotta figure that in now with these old saws and just sitting...especially in humid climates.

So I got me a little silver top......the times they are a changin'...hehe.

Kevin

I found this picture on ebay this morning.

View attachment 440068

This is one of my brochures im selling on ebay, i picked up some nice pieces last week, score a complete dealer pack from 1984, included was a calender and different types of brochures (maybe a poster as well).
The man in the above pic (Denny) features in lots of advertising from that era, hes always holding a 910E or 920 super.

This is one of my brochures im selling on ebay, i picked up some nice pieces last week, score a complete dealer pack from 1984, included was a calender and different types of brochures (maybe a poster as well).
The man in the above pic (Denny) features in lots of advertising from that era, hes always holding a 910E or 920 super.

If you feel so inclined, we'd love to see some of that stuff here in the thread! You must be seller;justoldsaws? I'm not finding the one above anywhere on ebay....did it sell?

Kevin

Back