Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course Robin saw the 49sp...he probably knows where every one is in NA....lol! Seriously though, if you do local pickup on eBay, you're usually no better off than craigslist. You could get lucky and have a collector near you, but otherwise it's usually a fool's gamble for something like a chainsaw. I have a small bicycle collection and I would drive a couple of states away for one particular bike....but that's me and bikes are very hard to ship without damage and very expensive....usually $120 is the bare bones minimum to send a bike.

Other stuff I collect I find on craigslist and talk the seller into shipping. Some people act like that's taking a HUGE chance as a seller....not if they are sent the money & shipping up front....don't understand the mentality there and the bad rap, as they have nothing to lose. Actually as a buyer, I'm taking a HUGE chance that they're honest and they will follow through.

Kevin

Of course Robin saw the 49sp...he probably knows where every one is in NA....lol! Seriously though, if you do local pickup on eBay, you're usually no better off than craigslist. You could get lucky and have a collector near you, but otherwise it's usually a fool's gamble for something like a chainsaw. I have a small bicycle collection and I would drive a couple of states away for one particular bike....but that's me and bikes are very hard to ship without damage and very expensive....usually $120 is the bare bones minimum to send a bike.

Other stuff I collect I find on craigslist and talk the seller into shipping. Some people act like that's taking a HUGE chance as a seller....not if they are sent the money & shipping up front....don't understand the mentality there and the bad rap, as they have nothing to lose. Actually as a buyer, I'm taking a HUGE chance that they're honest and they will follow through.

Kevin

Agreed........why advertise nationally/internationally if you aren't willing to ship the item......don't get that at all.....

No shipping on eBay makes no sense to me; it usually means a very low price, if the seller even gets any action. I saw a group of four Poulan saws (one highly desireable, two worth having, one so-so) go dirt cheap on eBay because of no shipping.

Nice score Kevin .. . . . . . gotta love those silver tops.

View attachment 441707
God, Dean....that looks like a Acres pic....what a beauty!! Mine's never gonna look like that. What did you re-silver that with?

Kevin

Thanks so much Kevin . . . . high praise but this forum needs some of the credit too!!!

This 621 was a crankcase find on ebay for $65-ish. Took out an electronic ignition module and put the points back in, new set of Cabers and the rest came from another donor saw with a bad crank.
Actually it's my 2nd best running saw, the first being the 90 Robin looked at . . . . . of course. :numberone:

The top was originally a little rough looking but it didn't have any cracks in the usual places, so I rubbed it with some 000 steel wool and bought a can of Rustoleum Silver Metallic at Lowes.

Thanks so much Kevin . . . . high praise but this forum needs some of the credit too!!!

This 621 was a crankcase find on ebay for $65-ish. Took out an electronic ignition module and put the points back in, new set of Cabers and the rest came from another donor saw with a bad crank.
Actually it's my 2nd best running saw, the first being the 90 Robin looked at . . . . . of course. :numberone:

The top was originally a little rough looking but it didn't have any cracks in the usual places, so I rubbed it with some 000 steel wool and bought a can of Rustoleum Silver Metallic at Lowes.

Let me know how that Rustoleum wears over time. I see a lot of repainted saws that aren't holding up with the gas & oil exposure. And there's no way in hell I'm gonna use clear coat on a saw to protect the paint. Gotta be product out there that will take the abuse. No doubt the factory baked that paint on, but they didn't do too great with the silver tops....those paint jobs failed usually way before the case.

Kevin

Well I have found a great Pioneer thread (thanks petesoldsaw), a great Poulan thread (thanks FATGUY) and McCulloch thread but no dedicated Jonsered thread. I really like my dad's (now mine) Jonsered 70E and would like to start a thread dedicated to Jonsereds. So let's seem, pics, thoughts, pointers etc etc etc....

Here is mine to start. It was crushed by a tree when I got it!:chainsaw:

attachment.php
i have a jreds 535 classic 20" good saw

Hi Guys

I am still looking for a kill switch for my 49Sp
A member did send me one but sadly the mail service lost it.
So if anyone knows where I can obtain one I would be most appreciative.
I got the carb overhaul kit from Tillotson and a new in tank filter and located replacement fuel lines.
The old girl runs a treat now but I have to earth out the terminal for the switch to stop her.
So once I get a switch we are good to go.

need a jreds 535 classic decal had to change rewind assem got run over need new decal any suggestions

Hi Guys

I am still looking for a kill switch for my 49Sp
A member did send me one but sadly the mail service lost it.
So if anyone knows where I can obtain one I would be most appreciative.
I got the carb overhaul kit from Tillotson and a new in tank filter and located replacement fuel lines.
The old girl runs a treat now but I have to earth out the terminal for the switch to stop her.
So once I get a switch we are good to go.

The stop switch for a 625/early 670 will work as a replacement and is still available new. Part # 503569101.
Deference being the spade terminal is smaller (3/16). It would be best to replace the wire female end, but not necessary.

001.JPG

does a jreds 535 classic count as a saw

It isn't a popular Jonsered, generally - but they aren't really bad until they act up. The trouble is that they often do....

That "family" of saws mainly was a less costly alternative to better Jonsered(s) saws, sort of semi-pro saws.

im a husquvarna person but got this saw for a song runs good needed carb rebuilt but never had one thanks for the insight as when they Do ha and it will im sure

Well let's put it this way.....if this is your first J'red and you're wanting something representative of the old line that they became famous for...that ain't the saw...lol.

I was always a big Husky guy, 2100's for the most part and I bought an 80 as a back-up saw for loggin' smaller scale. 35yrs later and I still have/work the saw(far left in my avatar)....although it hasn't continually been in the woods. But it survived two farms and a fencing business after I quit loggin'. Still pulls almost 150psi and I've never ringed it.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back