Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful, my wife is an attorney. I fixed that for you.. :D

I just had two different attorneys represent me in two unrelated matters...not a good time to prop up lawyers! I will say they were both successful, but the COST! I don't know how anyone could feel they are worth $200/hr.....lol.

As hard as I have to work, that was a bitter pill to swallow.

Kevin

Not me.......I saw those......and would probably have bid if I had followed it for that price. Truth is I have soooo much of that stuff can't see acquiring more unless NOS......that way a nice looking airbox cover....that's worth $13 alone!!!!!!

Wish I'd have bid higher on those. Made some nice spares for my small 49 and 52 collection. The plastic fan blades on the flywheel was worth the price. DAMMIT!!!

Dean do you need a plastic 52 fan??

Thanks Robin but mine is ok for now, appreciate the offer. It has a couple fins broken off but it's serving the purpose.
It would just be nice to have one in the parts bank since you don't run across them that often. :cool:

Oh, and the basic 52 model seems a bit of a rare bird. I see lots of 52e's out there but not the 52.
That parts lot had some model 52 specific pieces in it I wish I had as spares.

OK, I'm done crying over spilled milk now. On to the next auction . . . . . .

Thanks Robin but mine is ok for now, appreciate the offer. It has a couple fins broken off but it's serving the purpose.
It would just be nice to have one in the parts bank since you don't run across them that often. :cool:

Oh, and the basic 52 model seems a bit of a rare bird. I see lots of 52e's out there but not the 52.
That parts lot had some model 52 specific pieces in it I wish I had as spares.

OK, I'm done crying over spilled milk now. On to the next auction . . . . . .

I can send you a complete 52 fan if you want.....I have plenty...

Been helping out a close friend by fitting up his winter firewood this past week. He fell from the top of a 16' step ladder onto a cement floor a couple days after Christmas.....crushed his left shoulder among other damage. He has plates, pins and screws holding his shoulder together.....needless to say, chain sawing 9 cord of tree length hardwood is out of the question at this time.
Been cutting 2-3 hrs each evening....Tues night some guys came by and gave me a complete 346XP with a broken crankshaft and last night returned with a 451E that looked poor but a good parts saw......has the 910E ign. system.....me and Mikey are both making out pretty good!!!

OK......so.......I need help concerning the 490 and 590 Jonsered and the 500 and 5000+ Partners. Once upon a time I thought I had this all figgered out......now that I've started to work on these I'm totally confused. I had thought the 490 had a 44MM open port cyl and non windowed piston. At the same time I assumed the 590 had a 45MM closed port cyl and a windowed piston. I have one of each running but I also acquired a nice looking 490 that needed a piston, top handle and few other bits. I bought a parts lot for the top handle and the crankcase/P&C from what was sold as a Partner 500. So I pulled the P&C from the 500 case......44MM open port, non-windowed piston in super shape....very little run time.. Now I'm building this 490 for a friend who does all kinds of favors for me out on the island.....his only other saw is a 2071 which he likes but was saying he would like something smaller for general use. Yesterday I pulled the P&C off the 1983 490....44MM closed port, windowed piston?? I was not expecting that......someone had been in there before as the cyl was sealed with blue silicone.....was this P&C installed on this saw later or did it come this way? Now I am very curious about my running 490 and 590....the 490 has good power and cut very well but feels a bit docile.....the1987 590 has instant response cuts like crazy....very high performance feeling....is my running 1984 490 open or closed port?? It "feels" like it's open port....were these made in both open and closed port???? I don't know.......my IPLs for these saws show both the 490 and 590 appear to have non-windowed piston.....but they are just drawings....can anyone illuminate me to the differences and shared samenesses of these four saws??? I hope so.....thanks...

A little more info on these P&Cs comparing to others that I know where they came from.

44MM P&C Closed port... casting# 44ZN15 from 490 Jonsereds

44MM P&C Open port......casting# 44ZD10+ from 500 Partner (?)

44MM P&C Open port......casting# 44ZD10+ from Husqvarna 51

45MM P&C Closed port....casting# 44ZN15 from Husqvarna 55 EPA

The P&C from the Partner 500 is indistinguishable from the one from the 51 Husky.
The P&C from the Husky 55 EPA, though it has the same casting# it is bored 1MM over the 490 cyl and it also has a cast in boss for a decomp valve that the 490 does not have. Chainswr.com is the only place I've found that sells an aftermarket piston for the 490 and the photo shows a windowed piston. I hate the thought of detuning a 490 down to a 51 Husky just because I have the parts....though not a bad little saw...but.....Any thoughts???

Apparently from what I can find is the 5000 closed port cylinder was used on the 490 as well. The 500 cylinder is open port and was likely used only on the 500. Pistons for the 5000 are like hen's teeth. I read somewhere that the 246 XP piston works in the 5000 with a little work opening up the pin bosses.

I see they both used the same WA 82 carbs (the 5000 used a WA 158 as well) and that suspect little flexible boot between the carb adapter and the cylinder that seems to have killed a bunch of 5000's

Not much info but hopefully a bit of help

Thanks Tim....all good info. It would seem that how I understood the 490 and 590 was correct and what I thought I understood about the 500 an 5000/5000+ was......not so much. I had thought the 500 and 5000 were basically identical to the 490 and 590 in most respects. I'll have to think about it over the weekend at my cabin on the island and return with a plan the first of the week.....will probably go with the 490 cyl and an AM piston from Scott at chainswr.com......

I found and fixed up a 500 as a gift for a friend to use and gave him a nice 5000+ with a bad piston. No replacements were available at the time. He is a died in the wool Poulan fanatic but uses the 500 now most of the time. Light and quite fast I hear. I never had a chance to run it as I was healing up severed achilles tendon and only got it running and tuned as best I could sitting on the patio.
I hear the 5000's are one of the hot rods of their time. I suspect the 490 was right there with it. I'll PM you IPL's for the 500 and 5000 for reference.

Can someone tell me why I can't find the clutch side crank seal on this 451ev parts list??..................Please !?!?!?!

Attachments

• jonsered 451ev parts JONI1984_AAaa_I8400001_.pdf
    495.3 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back