Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the picture of the gasket set it shows 2 seals that look the same but the clutch side is much smaller ID and OD.
Anyone know the part number for the clutch side seal?

Hey Robin,
490 should be 44mm closed port with windowed full circle piston, same as 5000+.
AFAIK chainsawr is the only game in town for a direct piston replacement.

590 should be similar but 45mm and not full circle piston.
There was a thread or two awhile back where some were case matching the 590 cylinder so as to be bottom fed and using a 51 piston.

44mm should be on a 50.
51 as well as 50 special are 45mm. Rumors of closed port 50 special's...

Hi folks.

Any chance some of you have considered (or have) added an additional hole for air intake in the carb box on the early 630's? The cylinder cover has the single hole with missing shutter. I can't see anywhere else air is supplied. when the rear cover is in place. I was thinking of putting an extra hole in wall of the cylinder cover. If the shutter were in place/closed on that cover, I don't see how air is getting into the box.

Jonsereds 630 Air Intake 1.jpg

Like this?

630 Build 002.jpg

The shutter is for winter use. It is supposed to allow heated air to warm the carb to keep it from icing. I don't know if adding air holes are that worthwhile......they seem to run fine stock.....with just the air leakage around the covers and such. But doesn't hurt either......

Hey Robin,

There was a thread or two awhile back where some were case matching the 590 cylinder so as to be bottom fed and using a 51 piston.

44mm should be on a 50.

Hey Bill!! Yeah that is exactly what I Have come up with.....I had originally thought the 490 and 590 were the same as the 500 and 5000 (+).......basically two saws in this family... but I see now that there are actually three separate saws in play here; the 500 which has the same open port P&C as the 50, the 490 that has the same P&C as the 5000 (+) and the 590 which is nearly the same as the 45MM closed port 50 Special......I had a closed port 45MM Husky jug on the bench when comparing all the bits. To bad it's useless.....buncha fins knocked off it and scored to boot. Just got the 590 running good yesterday and also a POS 535 "Classic" that has been sitting at the shop for a year. Gonna put them both in some hardwood today...the 590 sounds much more fierce than my 490....both stock...the 535 sounds.......well...like a POS 5XX......if it doesn't blow up during testing it can go back where it came from leaving $$$ in it's place.

Hey Robin,

44mm should be on a 50.

Bill, I think I'm going to try one of chainwr's 490 pistons......no idea who makes them....$26 bucks...worth a shot.....don't really want to detune the 490 using the 500 P&C I bought, though it's in perfect condition. The original 490 piston was scored just enough to stick the ring and lose compression.......probably new ring and it would work OK.....was not hardly worn at all before the scoring......machine marks very evident on both skirts..... to bad.....

Just got the 590 running good yesterday and also a POS 535 "Classic" that has been sitting at the shop for a year. Gonna put them both in some hardwood today...the 590 sounds much more fierce than my 490....both stock...the 535 sounds.......well...like a POS 5XX......if it doesn't blow up during testing it can go back where it came from leaving $$$ in it's place.

IIRC the 535 top end will bolt up to saws in the 350/346 family, been meaning to pick one up just to have a look.
Supposed to be a decent closed port cylinder, so there's potential in that saw, power wise anyway.
Not any real performance advantage on a 350/346 but if you're upgrading a 340/345...

In the picture of the gasket set it shows 2 seals that look the same but the clutch side is much smaller ID and OD.
Anyone know the part number for the clutch side seal?

Mystery solved!.....................I'm an idiot.
Both seals ARE the same. Had a seal in stock-503260202-listed in IPL for both sides, but it was larger than seal in saw on clutch side. Never occurred to me that it was mis-numbered until I pulled the flywheel, and sure-nuff it's the same.

Still haven't figured out what this seal really is for.

Agreed....unlikely that someone machined a threaded hole in the top of an 80 jug......easier to convert to a 90 top end. Funny that wasn't mentioned....might have gotten more. Don't know what kind of wood that was and the chain used, but was unimpressed by the video. However, it does show that the saw itself is a runner. Healthy finished auction price for the saw, before shipping....which as we said before, you can't ignore anymore.

Kevin

Hey Lee,
If this last 80/90 sold on the bay is any indication of a trend, this might not be a bad time to unload your 90. Videos are good, but make sure your chain is razor sharp and it looks like you're cutting FAST. The 'chainsaw guy' outa Oregon who made hundreds of youtube videos selling saws, always made sure he cut into softwood. His sales method was usually to show a saw running on the bench, goose it a bit, talk about the saw...then in another video, he'd take it outside and cut some doughnuts in softwood. You don't have to get that involved, in fact, you could just start and run a power head to good advantage. I wouldn't volunteer any faults with the saw in the auction. However when they ask you questions in PM, just be honest.

In lieu of using a video camera, show LOTS of pics...buyers like a plethora of pics(don't forget the bottom). Buyers aren't supposed to assume that you don't have a good camera or lack the expertise to post numerous pics...we take just a few pics offered as the possibility of trying to hide something about the saw. Best of luck if you do decide to sell!!

Kevin

Back