Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That dirty looking 90 that's advertised as an 80 on ebay, I bid it up to $35 but wasn't high bidder. So, someone has a high dollar on it. At $25 shipping it's starting to get a little expensive without being able to look at it.

Yeah, don't get sucked into a buying frenzy....stay to what you believe is reasonable WITH shipping....the shipping these days is not negligible. Maybe when I retire, I'll start combing CL around the two loggin' states here for older Jreds. Fix 'em up and sell them. But then there's the gas now to just go get them etc.....

Kevin

111S . . . . . . . never heard of it. I'll have to google that.

True "muscle saw" around 100cc..Jred...early AV saw. Extremely sought after...like the Holy Grail or Jreds....

Haven't got a handle on where most of them were sold originally. Supposedly, a lot hit the woods around here when they came out. I challenge that, because I never saw one. Could be they wound up on the coast...never logged the coast but more inland. Point saws by nature had to have a really hot spark to survive coastal conditions....just have very limited knowledge about the actual period use of the 111S. Too big to be a firewood/homeowner saw....limited market on a loggin' show without good parts/dealer support, back in the day....so??

The elusive, enigmatic, rare, 111Super. Of course I want one...but I'd be going into the woods with it and well, that's just plain stupid for such a rare saw.

Kevin

True "muscle saw" around 100cc..Jred...early AV saw. Extremely sought after...like the Holy Grail or Jreds....

Haven't got a handle on where most of them were sold originally. Supposedly, a lot hit the woods around here when they came out. I challenge that, because I never saw one. Could be they wound up on the coast...never logged the coast but more inland.

Kevin
I'm back from google, wasn't expecting that. Don't know why I pictured a smaller tophandle saw. I just watched a youtube video of a guy with a 111s and a 64" bar cut wood.

That's not a typo . . . . . . . the bar was 64". WOW.

I'm back from google, wasn't expecting that. Don't know why I pictured a smaller tophandle saw. I just watched a youtube video of a guy with a 111s and a 64" bar cut wood.

That's not a typo . . . . . . . the bar was 64". WOW.

Well yeah....I used a 72" Cannon bar on a 2100 in my youth as a young faller...on Second Growth Douglas Fir. We even occasionally used 'spring boards' on those trees because of the incline and the giant root mass that was a high as your head or higher.

And those were 2100's with muffler mods and no governor, premium gas...no other tweaks needed. You packed that big-ass saw all day along with your gas/oil, axe, Spencer Tape and wedge pouch....you had done something.
Point being...the 111S physically at least, should have been able to do the same.

Kevin

Boy....you guys sure chatted it up last night!! LOL!!! Lots to add to or address!! One other thing to take into account on prices of NOS NLA parts is just what 2014 dollars will buy......and what 1982 dollars bought and what you would expect to pay for.....say a comparable sized OEM Stihl or Husky for that matter, P&C set that is current. And of course it's a sellers market. But as Kevin pointed out there are many good used cyls and perhaps pistons that will give many, many years of service at a fraction of the cost of NOS.

Ahhhh......THE 111S.......Hmmm.....Kevin said most of what can be said....but I'll add a tad more. All mag saw....and interestingly the first and only true Jonsereds to have the fuel tank isolated from the engine case in the same way that all modern Swede saws do.....suspended in AV with the trigger handle attached. This prevented the usual boiling of the fuel in hot weather doing heavy cuts that will happen to most of the other Jonsereds all mag saws. This saw is 110 cc.....shares some ign parts with the 80/90 series...but that's about it for sharing....I have been on the hunt for yrs but am basically to cheep to pay the prices for a saw to use rarely. But that doesn't mean I won't aquire one......a certain "Unc" gave me a very generous wedding present this last Aug.........a NOS P&C kit for the 111S!!!!! It's the only parts I have for one!!!! Very rare around here as our wood doesn't call for a saw that size. Even rarer to find one in good condition......these were expensive, heavy commercial saws generally bought by big logging companys and used up...then tossed.....or at the very least used until the paint was nearly completely worn away. I have been offered saws like that for several hundred dollars....declined.

As for an older Jonsereds to restore/use for firewood etc. that is realistic to aquire parts for...the most common (everywhere except the PNW) and easiest would be probably the 49SP or even the 52/52E.....similar looking saws...though the build design of the 49SP is much more similar to the 70E and the 52 is built more along the lines of it's big brother the 621. Now the famed 621 is as iconic as the 111S for different reasons and would also be a very good candidate. These are pro saws, and nearly bulletproof, smooth to run and though not considered fast by todays standards, they will pull a 3/8" by 20" B&C all day without breaking a sweat. These were only 56cc saws but were so far ahead of the competition of the time it wasn't even funny. They were quiet, handled very well with a 20" bar, had very good AV and would simply bury a Mac 10-10 or SXL Homey though the SXL was a good cutter and 58cc. The 621 is simply put....a real pleasure to cut with.....and THE saw that brought Jonsereds into the modern saw era well ahead of the compitition....from the era before which was the 61/601 that I posted last night.......some pics of a couple of my 621s.2012 all pics from Robins camera 075.JPG 2012 all pics from Robins camera 070.JPG 2012 all pics from Robins camera 072.JPG 2012 all pics from Robins camera 078.JPG

Well yeah....I used a 72" Cannon bar on a 2100 in my youth as a young faller...on Second Growth Douglas Fir. We even occasionally used 'spring boards' on those trees because of the incline and the giant root mass that was a high as your head or higher.

And those were 2100's with muffler mods and no governor, premium gas...no other tweaks needed. You packed that big-ass saw all day along with your gas/oil, axe, Spencer Tape and wedge pouch....you had done something.
Point being...the 111S physically at least, should have been able to do the same.

Kevin
72"????!!!!!????? Hard for me to imagine even what that would be like. :dizzy:

Boy....you guys sure chatted it up last night!! LOL!!! Lots to add to or address!! One other thing to take into account on prices of NOS NLA parts is just what 2014 dollars will buy......and what 1982 dollars bought and what you would expect to pay for.....say a comparable sized OEM Stihl or Husky for that matter, P&C set that is current. And of course it's a sellers market. But as Kevin pointed out there are many good used cyls and perhaps pistons that will give many, many years of service at a fraction of the cost of NOS.

Ahhhh......THE 111S.......Hmmm.....Kevin said most of what can be said....but I'll add a tad more. All mag saw....and interestingly the first and only true Jonsereds to have the fuel tank isolated from the engine case in the same way that all modern Swede saws do.....suspended in AV with the trigger handle attached. This prevented the usual boiling of the fuel in hot weather doing heavy cuts that will happen to most of the other Jonsereds all mag saws. This saw is 110 cc.....shares some ign parts with the 80/90 series...but that's about it for sharing....I have been on the hunt for yrs but am basically to cheep to pay the prices for a saw to use rarely. But that doesn't mean I won't aquire one......a certain "Unc" gave me a very generous wedding present this last Aug.........a NOS P&C kit for the 111S!!!!! It's the only parts I have for one!!!! Very rare around here as our wood doesn't call for a saw that size. Even rarer to find one in good condition......these were expensive, heavy commercial saws generally bought by big logging companys and used up...then tossed.....or at the very least used until the paint was nearly completely worn away. I have been offered saws like that for several hundred dollars....declined.

As for an older Jonsereds to restore/use for firewood etc. that is realistic to aquire parts for...the most common (everywhere except the PNW) and easiest would be probably the 49SP or even the 52/52E.....similar looking saws...though the build design of the 49SP is much more similar to the 70E and the 52 is built more along the lines of it's big brother the 621. Now the famed 621 is as iconic as the 111S for different reasons and would also be a very good candidate. These are pro saws, and nearly bulletproof, smooth to run and though not considered fast by todays standards, they will pull a 3/8" by 20" B&C all day without breaking a sweat. These were only 56cc saws but were so far ahead of the competition of the time it wasn't even funny. They were quiet, handled very well with a 20" bar, had very good AV and would simply bury a Mac 10-10 or SXL Homey though the SXL was a good cutter and 58cc. The 621 is simply put....a real pleasure to cut with.....and THE saw that brought Jonsereds into the modern saw era well ahead of the compitition....from the era before which was the 61/601 that I posted last night.......some pics of a couple of my 621s.View attachment 334969 View attachment 334970 View attachment 334971 View attachment 334972
That's a hell of a collection Robin, nice pics!!! I think I'll start scouting around for a 621.

That's a hell of a collection Robin, nice pics!!! I think I'll start scouting around for a 621.
Oh my........that's not my collection.......that was just 10 that was headed to a GTG......PB and I had to limit ourselves to 10 each...20 saws, gas, oil, tools and a cooler is about all there is for room in an 8' pickup bed....LOL!!!

And those were 2100's with muffler mods and no governor, premium gas...no other tweaks needed. You packed that big-ass saw all day along with your gas/oil, axe and wedge pouch....you had done something.

Kevin
72"????!!!!!????? Hard for me to imagine even what that would be like. :dizzy:

If you can still find them, look at some west coast loggin' pics from the early to late 70's in decent timber. Remember, nobody in those days had movie cameras except movie producers. Yeah, there was 8mm and such, but I never knew anyone who had one. And packing a snap-shot camera along with everything else was nearly impossible. But sometimes pics were snapped on the landing at the end of the day, or in the morning as the crew rolled out of the crummy @6AM. We were modest men who did big things with our saws and needed no affirmation from anyone. It was hard work and by comparison, we were the 'pussies' to the older guys who proudly hauled the first big, MACs around in the 50's or who used two-man saws. And they were probably the 'pussies' to their older mentors who used cross-cut saws and axes to fall big timber.

Kevin

As for an older Jonsereds to restore/use for firewood etc. that is realistic to aquire parts for...the most common (everywhere except the PNW) and easiest would be probably the 49SP or even the 52/52E.....similar looking saws...though the build design of the 49SP is much more similar to the 70E and the 52 is built more along the lines of it's big brother the 621. Now the famed 621 is as iconic as the 111S for different reasons and would also be a very good candidate. These are pro saws, and nearly bulletproof, smooth to run and though not considered fast by todays standards, they will pull a 3/8" by 20" B&C all day without breaking a sweat. These were only 56cc saws but were so far ahead of the competition of the time it wasn't even funny. They were quiet, handled very well with a 20" bar, had very good AV and would simply bury a Mac 10-10 or SXL Homey though the SXL was a good cutter and 58cc. The 621 is simply put....a real pleasure to cut with.....and THE saw that brought Jonsereds into the modern saw era well ahead of the compitition....from the era before which was the 61/601 that I posted last night.......some pics of a couple of my 621s.View attachment 334969 View attachment 334970 View attachment 334971 View attachment 334972

621 is a silver top....ohhhhh, gotta have one of those. Looks more reliable than the 70E. Robin...You gotta get a 111S now with that NOS piston & jug...what a gift! Surely there's one somewhere that has a scored/grooved piston at the hands of some dumb owner. I just wished I had more history on the 111S and where most of them were sold. Love to see the old advertising lit from Jred on that particular saw. That guy on ebay, saw-king....he's had at least two go through his shop on video. I think he's located in Oregon. One was nearly perfect and he didn't even want to run it on vid due to its collector's value.

Kevin

I'd get it just because its a silver top and based on what my 80 has done all these yrs. I think there are some shops that actually make crank sets for saws....given the valuable status of the 111S, have you ever looked into that for your saw?

Kevin

I'd get it just because its a silver top and based on what my 80 has done all these yrs. I think there are some shops that actually make crank sets for saws....given the valuable status of the 111S, have you ever looked into that for your saw?

Kevin

I haven't as I wasn't aware that was an option. Do you have any names or links I can check out? My bigger problem has been trying to locate a case gasket for it to even begin the process. It looks like I'm going to have to make one and I really didn't want to do that as it looks very time consuming.

I haven't as I wasn't aware that was an option. Do you have any names or links I can check out? My bigger problem has been trying to locate a case gasket for it to even begin the process. It looks like I'm going to have to make one and I really didn't want to do that as it looks very time consuming.

Occasionally, I'll see a custom crank set for sale and a co/name to go with it. I think there are some famous/infamous shops that do this still. I'd post on the main chainsaw board and see what they say. Offhand, I can't remember a name, sorry.

Man on the gasket....I'd split the case and then placing your gasket material on the half...tape very lightly with a small ball peen, the whole shape very carefully. With a small ball peen, you should be able to do a nice job of it picking up the gasket pattern and use a hole punch for the bolt hole impressions that were made with the ball peen.

Robin does this all the time...maybe he has some better suggestions.

Kevin

621 is a silver top....ohhhhh, gotta have one of those. Looks more reliable than the 70E. Robin...You gotta get a 111S now with that NOS piston & jug...what a gift! Surely there's one somewhere that has a scored/grooved piston at the hands of some dumb owner. I just wished I had more history on the 111S and where most of them were sold. Love to see the old advertising lit from Jred on that particular saw. That guy on ebay, saw-king....he's had at least two go through his shop on video. I think he's located in Oregon. One was nearly perfect and he didn't even want to run it on vid due to its collector's value.

Kevin

Well the 621 is more "Fixable" than a 70E......but the 70E has always been a dependable saw and a whole lot more power than a 621. For the record there are two 70Es...the early, serial number 158500 and less....and the later...158500 and above....the early has the plastic fan, the SEM module mounted under the flywheel and the spark coil mounted in the recoil cover. The later version has an alum fan with the spark coil mounted to the cyl like a 49SP.....this also has a "black box" trigger mounted in the carb box. I have not tried this yet but have heard that this "black box" (which is of course NLA) can be replaced by an Atom or similar "points eliminator" module.

The 621 is built similar to the 80...2 ring domed piston...closed port, points ign etc....old school AV Jonsereds...very long lived saws from back when they cared about building a dependable product to cut wood with.....

Well the 621 is more "Fixable" than a 70E......but the 70E has always been a dependable saw and a whole lot more power than a 621. For the record there are two 70Es...the early, serial number 158500 and less....and the later...158500 and above....the early has the plastic fan, the SEM module mounted under the flywheel and the spark coil mounted in the recoil cover. The later version has an alum fan with the spark coil mounted to the cyl like a 49SP.....this also has a "black box" trigger mounted in the carb box. I have not tried this yet but have heard that this "black box" (which is of course NLA) can be replaced by an Atom or similar "points eliminator" module.

The 621 is built similar to the 80...2 ring domed piston...closed port, points ign etc....old school AV Jonsereds...very long lived saws from back when they cared about building a dependable product to cut wood with.....

Well it's 56cc versus 69cc...I'd always pick the bigger saw if it wasn't just junky designed. Cool info on the 70E...so look for a serial of 158501 and larger for the win.:rock:

Kevin

Latest posts

Back