Jonsred 670 Reg /Super /Champ ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fettlst

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im rebuilding a Jonsred 670. I heard people talk about the super and the champ. What different types of 670 are out there? Is There a "regular" 670 a 670 super and a 670 champ? if so what are the differences and how do i tell the difference? Thanks

Im rebuilding a Jonsred 670. I heard people talk about the super and the champ. What different types of 670 are out there? Is There a "regular" 670 a 670 super and a 670 champ? if so what are the differences and how do i tell the difference? Thanks

Just different stickers. As far as I know there are no mechanical differences. Taplinhill or Spike will know more than I do. :cheers:

There are differences, & you'll need to dig through a lot of earlier threads to get the details, unless someone who knows is kind enough to post the Jonsered 670 history.

This is the tip of the iceburg:

There is a regular 670. At some point Jonsered made some changes (piston porting??) to give it more power, & named it the 670 Super.

The 670 Super won some kind of championship, & the name was changed to the 670 Champ. I don't think that there are any mechanical differences between the 670 Super & 670 Champ.

Jonsered also offered the 670 West Coast, basically a Super/Champ with a full wrap handle, some ignition changes, & a K&N filter set-up.

I can tell you that not all parts from a Champ will work on a West Coast.

If I have a normal jred 670 that needs a chain brake, can I just buy a clutch cover with the integrated brake from a 670 champ and put it on? I got really high prices for the OEM parts...

MGF

As I understand it, the clutch cover offered by Bailey's (AS sponsor) for the Husqvarna 266 will work on the Jonsered 670. I'm about ready to order one for my 670 West Coast, & I'm going to call to verify this before I order it. They're on page 17 of the new catalogue, $46.95. These have the newer, hopefully improved :), chainbrake design.

The knee-joint on the chainbrake on the 670, & other Jonsered & Husqvarna models, is a weak point. It fatigues, & vibrations cause the CB to pop into the on position. Just about every 670 parts saw that I see, mostly via eBay, either has the clutch cover missing, or the CB has been removed. One of the AS sponsors who gets in quite a few 670s noticed the same thing, & has posted about it.

There are differences, & you'll need to dig through a lot of earlier threads to get the details, unless someone who knows is kind enough to post the Jonsered 670 history.

This is the tip of the iceburg:

There is a regular 670. At some point Jonsered made some changes (piston porting??) to give it more power, & named it the 670 Super.

The 670 Super won some kind of championship, & the name was changed to the 670 Champ. I don't think that there are any mechanical differences between the 670 Super & 670 Champ.

Jonsered also offered the 670 West Coast, basically a Super/Champ with a full wrap handle, some ignition changes, & a K&N filter set-up.

I can tell you that not all parts from a Champ will work on a West Coast.

As far as I know, you got all that right! :clap: :clap:

I don't think that there are any mechanical differences between the 670 Super & 670 Champ.

The Super had the old and the new style chain brake/clutch cover, depending on the year. The Super also had the older two piece ignition, while the Champ had the one piece. Some Supers may have had the one piece as well. The West Coast was also available before the Super. The K&N filter was not standard on the West Coast, just an upgrade. I had a NOS 670WC without the K&N.

If I have a normal jred 670 that needs a chain brake, can I just buy a clutch cover with the integrated brake from a 670 champ and put it on? I got really high prices for the OEM parts...

Yes.

As I understand it, the clutch cover offered by Bailey's (AS sponsor) for the Husqvarna 266 will work on the Jonsered 670.

P3050002.jpg

Here is the aftermarket Husky one on a 670.

Last edited:
Well I was wrong. :)

I told you there were more JRed experts here.

Great info guys! I will try to remember that for the future.

Didn't know they were yours - nice saws!:clap: :clap:

Btw, there is a mix-up with the production years as well.

Thanks, and yes. There are a lot of things that aren't quite right. Among others, there is no mention of the Champ. I think you have mentioned it before that it is a great site, but with a little clean-up could be a great resource.

Have you had any issues the Bailey's aftermarket cover & CB? It's not like my 670WC is going to see a lot of work, but I would like to know about the cover before I order one.

If anyone here has an OEM cover with the newer CB design for sale, please let me know!

I had forgotten that the K&N wasn't standard. I pulled mine & went back to the regular filter & full top cover.

...The K&N filter was not standard on the West Coast, just an upgrade. I had a NOS 670WC without the K&N.

P3050002.jpg

Here is the aftermarket Husky one on a 670.

The one I bought had no covers on it. I want to label it correctly when I finish it. Someone had mentioned Piston porting could be a difference. (I don’t know what piston porting is YET) can anyone tell what mine is from the pic of the cylinder and piston?

The one I bought had no covers on it. I want to label it correctly when I finish it. Someone had mentioned Piston porting could be a difference. (I don’t know what piston porting is YET) can anyone tell what mine is from the pic of the cylinder and piston?

Does your saw still have the serial tag near the oil cap? That number may be able to help.

Back