jus wunderin...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htsw

hull tech
Reaction score
...how the math works to come up with tonnage on wood splitters . bought mine used homemade but i have details as follows : cylinder is 4" by 24" throw ... pump is 16gpm 3000 psi ... engine is 5hp but doesnt labor much at half throttle because the pump is two stage ... it is very powerful and if it ever goes south what i would go by to match its strength ... thanx for your consideration ;)

Hydraulic pressure acting upon the area of the piston is how one would calculate tonnage. You'll find that most commercially available units are advertised a bit higher than what the math equates to.

The area of your 4" piston is 12.57 square inches. 3000psi is 3000 pounds per square inch. 3000 pounds x 12.57 square inches is equal to 37,710 pounds of hydraulic pressure on the face of the piston at 3000psi of hydraulic pressure. Divide your 37,710 pounds by 2,000 and you get roughly 19 tons.

Hydraulic pressure acting upon the area of the piston is how one would calculate tonnage. You'll find that most commercially available units are advertised a bit higher than what the math equates to.

The area of your 4" piston is 12.57 square inches. 3000psi is 3000 pounds per square inch. 3000 pounds x 12.57 square inches is equal to 37,710 pounds of hydraulic pressure on the face of the piston at 3000psi of hydraulic pressure. Divide your 37,710 pounds by 2,000 and you get roughly 19 tons.
thank you much , surprising how much work these splitters save but we didnt have one growing up , so i marvel at their power !!

Correct!. The thing to remember is that the pump isnt always building 3000psi. If it only takes 1000psi to split your wood, then that is all the pump is going to produce. Since your engine isnt laboring at half throttle, I suspect your splitter isnt using all the tonnage it is rated for, which is a good thing.

Correct!. The thing to remember is that the pump isnt always building 3000psi. If it only takes 1000psi to split your wood, then that is all the pump is going to produce. Since your engine isnt laboring at half throttle, I suspect your splitter isnt using all the tonnage it is rated for, which is a good thing.
thought the pump put out whatever and the valving in the control decided the pressure ... oh well , the better to last , my dear:drinkingcoffee:

thought the pump put out whatever and the valving in the control decided the pressure ... oh well , the better to last , my dear:drinkingcoffee:
The pump will put out whater ever flow it is rated for, but pressure isnt made until the flow meets some resistance. The control valve should have a relief built in or a relief plumbed somewhere to relieve any pressure over the desired setting. Most wood splitters have a open center type control valve which allows the oil to flow back to tank whenever the control valve isnt activated. There will always be some residual pressure due to friction in the spool or hoses, or in a return filter, but that pressure probably wont exceed 250psi.,Probably less.

@muddstopper Bill, thanks for being a voice of reason in this mess, folks need to learn more or keep there fingers off the keyboard! not sure if you still have my number but I have a question about a hydraulic circuit, if you get a minute give me a call and if you dont have my number let me know and I'll get it to you.
Thanks sir!

@muddstopper Bill, thanks for being a voice of reason in this mess, folks need to learn more or keep there fingers off the keyboard! not sure if you still have my number but I have a question about a hydraulic circuit, if you get a minute give me a call and if you dont have my number let me know and I'll get it to you.
Thanks sir!
Probably best to just send me a PM. I have a tendency to ignore or block numbers I dont recognize.

Back