Just another Stihl dealer rant.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrassGuerilla

Olympic Piss-reving wanna be.
Reaction score
Nobody's perfect. It's a tough biz. But man I'm sick of it always coming back to bite me instead of them. My dealer is about 8 miles the wrong direction from me. Meaning to go there I'm always heading away from my work area and or home. His other store is nearer my work, bu the staff there suck. With this recent batch of BS I'm getting sick of trying to support a local guy. Ready to jump ship.

1) I asked for a new 7 pin rim for my 046. In truth it was for a Makita, but they're the same large spline drive and he is a Stihl dealer not Dolmar/makita. Anyway, he produced a no name, no package rim. I even mentioned I was surprised he was handing me an aftermarket part, he said "they're less than half the cost, we sell em all the time". Did Stihl ever sell a small rim drive 046? Or did my guy just drop the ball?

2) I get that everybody is in business to make money. But charging a minimum of $40 to adjust the carb on a HT100 extended hedge trimmer I bought from him is rough. Him telling me "my mech is on vacation until Thursday" pretty much tells me I'm also going to have to wait days, pay $40 and make at least two trips for a job that takes 5 minutes max should be done each time conditions change, IE temp and or elevation. So much for any green effect from the retarded EPA restrictions. IE: they won't sell or let me borrow the tool. Yes, now I've probably spent as long ******** about this as it would take to make or modify a tool to work. Point is I shouldn't have to. It should come with the tool to keep it tuned, no? Wtf, it's a $600 hedge trimmer.

I'll use more fuel running the tool back and forth to the dealer then it would use all season. Some environmental impact reduction. Waste more gas, time and money.

Was out your way a month ago....Well close. Lake of the Ozarks. Was wondering if there is a "Saw Shop" out in that market. Not just a dealer....but a shop catering to pro level saw users and high use firewood types. Just askin....

Nobody's perfect. It's a tough biz. But man I'm sick of it always coming back to bite me instead of them. My dealer is about 8 miles the wrong direction from me. Meaning to go there I'm always heading away from my work area and or home. His other store is nearer my work, bu the staff there suck. With this recent batch of BS I'm getting sick of trying to support a local guy. Ready to jump ship.

1) I asked for a new 7 pin rim for my 046. In truth it was for a Makita, but they're the same large spline drive and he is a Stihl dealer not Dolmar/makita. Anyway, he produced a no name, no package rim. I even mentioned I was surprised he was handing me an aftermarket part, he said "they're less than half the cost, we sell em all the time". Did Stihl ever sell a small rim drive 046? Or did my guy just drop the ball?

2) I get that everybody is in business to make money. But charging a minimum of $40 to adjust the carb on a HT100 extended hedge trimmer I bought from him is rough. Him telling me "my mech is on vacation until Thursday" pretty much tells me I'm also going to have to wait days, pay $40 and make at least two trips for a job that takes 5 minutes max should be done each time conditions change, IE temp and or elevation. So much for any green effect from the retarded EPA restrictions. IE: they won't sell or let me borrow the tool. Yes, now I've probably spent as long ******** about this as it would take to make or modify a tool to work. Point is I shouldn't have to. It should come with the tool to keep it tuned, no? Wtf, it's a $600 hedge trimmer.

I'll use more fuel running the tool back and forth to the dealer then it would use all season. Some environmental impact reduction. Waste more gas, time and money.
Prob could buy a new carb for close to that for the 131.

Was out your way a month ago....Well close. Lake of the Ozarks. Was wondering if there is a "Saw Shop" out in that market. Not just a dealer....but a shop catering to pro level saw users and high use firewood types. Just askin....
If there is, I haven't found it. Bunch of bungling hacks that act like they're doing you a favor.

Edit: I know this guy in Tennessee... Only guy I've dealt with that hasn't sucked. Wish he was local.

I'm sure there is a saw shop near that area, I can't claim to be familiar with any good shops though.

Prob could buy a new carb for close to that for the 131.

That seems to be the new carb adjustment fix... But a new one. Problem is, I still want to adjust it. If it's spot on at 100f 99% humidity, it likely will run like poo at 31f 10% humidity. It's kinda important to be able to get your tools to work when you need them to. Not after you drop them for a few days at the dealer twice a year.

That seems to be the new carb adjustment fix... But a new one. Problem is, I still want to adjust it. If it's spot on at 100f 99% humidity, it likely will run like poo at 31f 10% humidity. It's kinda important to be able to get your tools to work when you need them to. Not after you drop them for a few days at the dealer twice a year.
Is it good now?

Its a tough situation. The ones with good customer service are usually a ride away. One of the nearer shops has an owner that works the counter. I used to buy a crap load of stuff from them. The owner knew me by name, and I picked up parts orders weekly there. One day I came in and no one else was in the entire place -- not at the counter, in the show area or anything and this person just turns around and walks off. I have to stand there and wait on someone else to come out of the back. I made up my mind I don't have to spend my money with people who act like jerks. Good bye-- good riddance!

The best is when you drive all the way to the stihl dealer for simple parts like a sprocket........and he tells you, "no problem i'll order it and it will be here tomorrow". :dumb2:
How about selling you an aftermarket one that won't fit? Saved me $5, cost me a second trip and an excessive blood pressure headache.

It'll run. At 100f the othe day it wouldn't rev for ****. I'm inclined to think it would benefit from the occasional tweak same as my saws. Was using an Echo chainsaw that day that definitely ran better after an H side tweak.
Could be the coil you know I had about 3 go . Does it run like half throttle and sometimes work after a while?

Could be the coil you know I had about 3 go . Does it run like half throttle and sometimes work after a while?
Throttle response was ok off idle, then stumbled mid range refusing to rev fully. With only one such incident in the heat, I was thinking carb. I couldn't rule out a coil issue I guess. I'll have to run it some more and see. How much are the coils? I have an HT101 I could swap out coils when it flares up again I suppose.

It'll run. At 100f the othe day it wouldn't rev for ****. I'm inclined to think it would benefit from the occasional tweak same as my saws. Was using an Echo chainsaw that day that definitely ran better after an H side tweak.
I'm in NJ too. Who do you use?
Betts in New Hope super nice but far.

Throttle response was ok off idle, then stumbled mid range refusing to rev fully. With only one such incident in the heat, I was thinking carb. I couldn't rule out a coil issue I guess. I'll have to run it some more and see. How much are the coils? I have an HT101 I could swap out coils when it flares up again I suppose.
40 .00 swap and see.

Hmm. Got me thinking. Carb on the ht101 has regular adjuster screws... Might see about getting one of those if it ain't the coil. Or I could even raid the boneyard for jets. Gotta be a better way then paying the stealership. I have a few Zama carbs I could scavenge from. Might have the pieces in stock. Lol. God I'm a hoarder.

So I dug through my box of second string sockets. You know, the one you stash all the orphans, extras and back ups that don't really get used. I've had 4, 4.5, 5 & 5.5mm sockets for a couple decades. Finally found a use for the 4mm. 1/4 drive Snap On one fit without having to thin it, Craftsman one would have required some grinding to fit the wall thickness.

Lol, of course today it's 77f out and it seems to be running fine. I'll try to remember to update this if/when it flares up again and see if an adjustment helps or if I have to swap coils. Thanks for the suggestion LW.

Back