Just Bought a 361 - Should I Upgrade to 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 290 or 361 will be fine for 4-5 cords. A muff modded 361 could pull a 25" bar if needed, 25" can cut up to 50" in a pinch. An experienced sawer could get alot more done with a 361 than a homeowner could with a 441. My thoughts? Get both, the 361 and 441, LOL. I fall with a 32" 044 and 460, mostly have the bar buried in every cut. The extra HP is nice for this and a smaller saw helps with limbing. Just be sure to clean your small saw's muffler screen so you don't have to limb with a 044/32" all day.:biggrinbounce2:

year before last i was running the 029 super and the 044 cutting firewood.

the 044 was faster obviously, started quicker and had far fewer problems than the consumer class 029 did.

to me the 044 was ever so slightly higher weight was more than offset by having gobs more power.

the big saw is very nimble with a 20" bar. fatigue wise the 044 was less tiring in wood of any size as you didn't have to hold it out of the wood. just let it hog its way through.

you can certainly get buy pretty good with a 361.

if you ever ran a ms440/044 though it is awfully hard to go back to a smaller lighter saw--

a 260 and a 044/440 would make a fine firewood cutting team.

I did something just like this recently, sold the 290 and got a 361. Perfect for firewood. I don't ever have moments where I'm wishing I had more saw, just more money...

Now I just need to find a home for the 034AV because it's pretty much the same saw as the 361...

I love my MS361. It's a great all around saw, and as far as my bar saws go it is the goto saw. I run either an 18" or a 25" bar according to the job I'm on, and it runs great with either. I mainly cut hardwoods, but I do cut some pines when the need arrives. I cut some with a friends MS441 last year cutting up some big oaks that fell around the back of his land and to me there's not a huge difference in the power of the saws. I could definitely tell the weight difference after cutting above my shoulders for a few minutes. To me the difference in saw Vs. price I'de keep my MS361......:cheers:

Per the OP:

This isn't a thread deciding on a perfect firewood saw. The man told you he already has a 290. Based on that he isn't going to notice any difference between the 290 and 361 - he has an expensive paperweight now. I think he intuitively knows this and thus why he is considering trading the 361 in on something else.

Stihl 290:
56.5 cc
13 lbs

Stihl 361:
59 cc
12.3 lbs

Stihl 441:
70.7 cc
14.6 lbs

Get the bigger saw while funds allow.

The 361 is about the greatest firewood and landowner saw that has been made, but that being said. As Wild Knight says, the guy already has a 290 so a step up to the 441 might be better. In my opinion, he will end up using the 290 more than the 441.

As do many others, I have the whole Stihl line-up and they are all modded, and as a landowner and firewood burner, as my sole source of heat. I take the 361 out more for everyday cutting than I do the 441.

But if I drag the logs back to the house and cut them up, then I get the 441 to cross cut them and (since I don't use a splitter) I noodle cut them into firewood with either the 084-30" -bar or the 660-28" bar.

My opinion, if you are just going to have 1 saw it should be the 361.

If you are going to have two saws they should be the 260 and the 441.

I only say the aforementioned from a practicality perspective. If you have CAD then you might be out cutting Christmas trees with Modded 084's, but not because its practical, just because you want to.

When dealing with advice about chainsaws (especially over the internet) you have to really guard against the "macho syndrome" because you get these people on here who admit to have never owned or run anything over a Stihl180 or a WildThing or something small and they will give advice like a pro logger, about needing Modded 660's and such for 20" wood and it just isn't practical either financially or from a firewood production or tree felling point of view.

You have to be in some very big wood before 660+ sized saws can shine at the end of a long day or week, they are just too heavy and use too much gas (as in downtime filling them back up) to make them very efficient for midsized to smaller wood. Are the big saws fun, sure they are fun, but fun typically only lasts until you are tired of running them, and unless you are in good logger's shape ........ then running larger saws in the woods or bending over cutting with one for hours will wear you out pretty quick.

My opinion and experience for what it is worth,

Sam

Alright... After thinking about it all night - and a scouting session in the woods this morning, I gained a little better perspective of the work I have ahead of me, so I went back and picked up the 441. Since I have a 290 already, I thought I should spread things out a bit. It hurt a little handing over the 361, especially since I know it's one of the last of them. Call it CAD or whatever, I did what I did, I'm not turning back, and for some reason, it wasn't an easy decision.

Right now, I'm trying to fool myself into thinking that this will be my last saw for another 10 or 15 years - my wife can only hope...

Now, anyone have the P/N for the double dog/roller kit for a 441???

Oh - I almost forgot: I'd like to thank each and every one of you that took the time to respond (and even argue!) to my question.

Last edited:
Get the double dawgs and roller and buy some 3/8" full-skip - semi-chisel (Stihl) and get 20" - 24" and 28" bar. Just use the same chain (different lengths for both saws).

Just buy Stihl bars too, for the money they are the best and will last the longest. Don't be cheap and buy anything Oregon (not even their files), it is all soft metal.

Muffler modd both saws, as soon as possible. Very simple to do on the 441 as it doesn't have restrictive internal baffles.

Use Amsoil Saber 2 stroke oil at 50:1.

Get a Carlton File-O-Plate until you learn to file your rakers better or until you understand it better.

Some PPE is good. I like the Baileys Rockman helmet for eye and ear and head protection and I use Husky Blue saw chaps, but Labon??ville from Baileys has very, very good ones too.

For work gloves use these:

http://www.shubee.com/the-hulkster-anti-vibration-glove.html
They are the finest firewood gloves known to mankind. They give you superhuman grip and the finest AV gloves made, period and they are cheap and last longer than any leather gloves, and they don't get saw chips down the cuff.

If you have a truck/trailer you should be fine, and not have any problems with the above advice or pieces.

Sam

Last edited:
Get it ported. Did you leave a deposit on the 880? Whats the name of your New Firewood For Sale Co.? What about the bucket truck idea? Maybe 2 early. You will'nt miss your wife after 10 years. Advertise for only experience wood fellers. Don't have to pay them much?? Just tell them they can run STIHL saws, they will cum!

Get it ported. Did you leave a deposit on the 880? Whats the name of your New Firewood For Sale Co.? What about the bucket truck idea? Maybe 2 early. You will'nt miss your wife after 10 years. Advertise for only experience wood fellers. Don't have to pay them much?? Just tell them they can run STIHL saws, they will cum!

Make sure you get a pop-up piston for added compression. Run AV gas too, I like the 100LL.

Muffler Bearing ......... should he be thinking about a chipper yet or like the bucket truck to premature??

What about a stump grinder??

What about a fully automated, chain sharpener and raker grinder? They are only a few thousand dollars.

Just thoughts,

Sam

Dude... Too funny!

Wood fellers? Doesn't everyone around here just knock the trees over with excavators, then cut them up in the mud? I was thinking of buying a CAT 330 and a Peterbuilt with a Lowboy for the firewood company. Wanna be an investor in "Eastern Shore Firewood" ???

I'm gonna go get this thing dirty...:cheers:

Well after reading all these post about big saws, I've loaded up the truck with everything less than 75 cc and going to trade for REAL saws. I guess it takes a 441 or bigger to cut 4-5 cords of firewood. The crew will just have to get by the with the 660 today. Even though there's a hell of a lot of cuts in a cord, they'll just have to get by cutting the little 2" limbs and up with a 32" bar from now on, going to have to feed 'em a little more groceries. Might as well buy a couple more 5 gallon cans. Gonna have to explain that next year I expect 450 cords instead of 300-325 as they have bigger saws with longer bars and it's well known you can get more firewood cut with them.lol
Gonna trade every gun off I have that is not at least a .338, I just know they won't kill as fast as anything smaller, them groundhogs and coyotes are gonna pay I tell you, nothing less than a 250 grainer those 50 grain pills just don't do it. Everyone cutting firewood with less than a 70cc saw just needs to get their saw on trading post today, before they worthless. Better yet just donate them to me, might be able to just get by with them if I finesse them.:hmm3grin2orange: We'll only use them every once in a while, would want to put to many hours on them as they aren't good for four or five cord, don't want to wear them out to soon.

Well after reading all these post about big saws, I've loaded up the truck with everything less than 75 cc and going to trade for REAL saws. I guess it takes a 441 or bigger to cut 4-5 cords of firewood. The crew will just have to get by the with the 660 today. Even though there's a hell of a lot of cuts in a cord, they'll just have to get by cutting the little 2" limbs and up with a 32" bar from now on, going to have to feed 'em a little more groceries. Might as well buy a couple more 5 gallon cans. Gonna have to explain that next year I expect 450 cords instead of 300-325 as they have bigger saws with longer bars and it's well known you can get more firewood cut with them.lol
Gonna trade every gun off I have that is not at least a .338, I just know they won't kill as fast as anything smaller, them groundhogs and coyotes are gonna pay I tell you, nothing less than a 250 grainer those 50 grain pills just don't do it. Everyone cutting firewood with less than a 70cc saw just needs to get their saw on trading post today, before they worthless. Better yet just donate them to me, might be able to just get by with them if I finesse them.:hmm3grin2orange: We'll only use them every once in a while, would want to put to many hours on them as they aren't good for four or five cord, don't want to wear them out to soon.

I did what I did, sorry you don't like it. Have a fine day

My wife asked why I keep so many guns! You have not had to shot any-one LATELY?

Just kidding, run whatever your heart and pocket book allow. It's all in fun. We prolly would be better off with a 441 than a 660, their fuel pigs for what we do. I did see a new 361 on the shelf this morning for 609.00, I looked at a 362 and personally wouldn't trade the 361 for it, noticeable weight difference and having to use a screw driver to remove the air filter cover were enough for me, did go by the farm store that carries huskies and they still have plenty of 372's instock. Saw away and be safe, if you have never run a bigger saw before, you'll be surprised at the additional speed of a kickback and the extra weight of the saw coming back.

I did see a new 361 on the shelf this morning for 609.00, I looked at a 362 and personally wouldn't trade the 361 for it, noticeable weight difference and having to use a screw driver to remove the air filter cover were enough for me,

???? I can assure you that small inconvenience will be met with a huge increase in air filtration ability of the 362 and about 10 times less air filter cleaning, plus it has a prefilter unlike the 361.

My dealer popped the 362 air filter cover off faster with a scrench than someone could unscrew the 361's filter cover.

Is the 361 a bad saw, absolutely not, but the 362 is a great step forward.

My opinion,

Sam

And by the way... What's CAD stand for? The closest I can figure out something like "chainsaw addiction disorder."

Commence laughing at me.

I"ve seen these:
Chainsaw Addiction Disorder
Chainsaw Addiction Disease
Chainsaw Aquisition Disorder
Chainsaw Aquisition Disease

take your pick.... it don't matter once you're afflicted.

Back