Just can't get wound up...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wouldn't be to big of a deal if I was like some others that got by burning 5-6 cord a year. With my current heating requirements and setup it takes about 12-15 cords. (about a truckload a week averaging it out)
If this year turns out like last year I'll be OK as well but I'm for sure not counting on that.
This year might not be the doomsday that some are predicting but I gotta believe it will be at least a little harsher than last year.

Firewooding in the summer heat sucks. I do it on some weekends so I don't have too much to do in the fall, but I honestly do most of it in the fall. I've been cutting like crazy the last few weekends though so I actually just need to fill my trailer two or three more times and I'm good to go.

I've always cut all summer but this year the heat has about got me, think it's my blood pressure meds. Gonna have a good talk with my Doc when I see him this month. Anyhow, I'm about two years ahead so I haven't fought it this year. If I don't take the meds I feel fine to get out and work, but if I don't take it the Doc is yammerin' on about my BP being high ( it ain't that high, just slightly elevated sometimes ) .:msp_mad:

If I don't take the meds I feel fine to get out and work, but if I don't take it the Doc is yammerin' on about my BP being high ( it ain't that high, just slightly elevated sometimes ) .:msp_mad:

If your doc doesn't tell you something is wrong with you then he can't make any money off of you. ;o)

I personally cut in the winter. A little less chance of poision ivy and less brush/weeds to deal with. I like not sweating as much.

Supposed to be much cooler this weekend. That's usually what it takes to get me going. Now I just hope we don't get the monsoon tonight that they are calling for.

It will snow this winter.
Heck, maybe sooner! Last year it snowed at Halloween, and then that was pretty much it for the "Winter".

Seriously through, the specific weather we get could vary greatly from year to year, but if I had to bet I put my beer on another mild one in my region.

Oh yeah the heats been brutal...tru dat!

I'm waiting for the leaves to fall before cutting our future years firewood. All summer we've been splitting, a little each day, the wood cut last winter and spring. Sure feels good to be many years ahead of the curve. :blob2:

Count me in with the winter wood cutters. I only do it in the summer if I have to. Started as tradition, but there are a lot of good practical reasons to cut in the winter instead of the summer, if you can swing it.

Doubt it. Finally broke down and bought a snowblower last year. So we should be snow free for at least a couple of years.

Well, me and the missus aren't getting season passes to the local ski hill this winter, so that may trump your snowblower and we'll wind up with another winter like we had '09-'10.

Count me in with the winter wood cutters. I only do it in the summer if I have to. Started as tradition, but there are a lot of good practical reasons to cut in the winter instead of the summer, if you can swing it.

Oh for sure it is better if possible to cut in the winter. Wood comes half dried out that way just for starters. My biggest problem is access, winter is mud season here and the ground rarely freezes past a few inches deep, it's not feet where it stays rockhard like up north. You just make huge ruts in areas where you need to mow working in the mud. This clay mud dries out around here it is like brick. This just sucks, so I try to avoid that.... What I am trying to do semi lately is walk in and fell some nice ones in the winter then go back in dry season and buck and haul out. But, I have to deal with blowdowns when they happen, that is year round and frequently in hot weather with the big storms. Trees across fences or roads, etc, you can't ignore and need to be cut whenever that happens.

Soon as it starts cooling off late this month/next mo. I'll get going. Most is already down, just buck/split/stack. I'm allergic to bees, hate snakes and poison ivy.

I love working in the cold weather,I guess I'm like a horse I sweat less don't get winded as easy, I can just go wide open longer. My trade is concrete and if any of you know about concrete it gives off its own heat. Add that to the 110 degree summer day plus the reflection of the sun from the slab,it can get pretty darn hot. The whole time I'm at work I can only think about one thing, jumping in an ice cold creek!!! A couple of weeks ago I did go to the creek to get some dead fall and I got a good case of poison ivy. What was I thinkin wearing shorts huh lol duh. I knew better I just didn't wan to be completely soaked from sweat just half. I got me some trigger time though!! :rock:
Get it while the gettin it's good. Cheers

If yas can cut wood in stifing heat and humid weather, more power to ya. But this old dog ain't doin' that no more. The heat saps what energy I have. Darn wood cutting and splitting can wait 'til it cools down. Besides, the SheWolf has plenty of summer projects to keep me busy. :)

We're two years ahead so far, this winter's work will make three. We'll be burning one stack while building another. I'll admit to dropping a couple this summer - a gum and tupelo so they'll get a head start on drying. But just felling the two beat me up in that heat.

Like the folks say, reasons abound for cutting in late fall and into winter. The sap is down. It's easier to plan and fell trees when there are no leaves. And with no leaves it's safer - potential hazards like widowmakers can't hide up there.

Yep, no bugs or bees. No poision ivy or oak. The undergrowth is bare and I can see around the woodlot better.

The only drawback, for us anyhow is mud in the woodlot. Last winter I struggled getting in and out. But that's been taken care of - we have a better tractor and dump cart now, outfitted to handle muddy conditions.

Since I can dress for the cold, winter is the time I prefer to get wood. My goal every year is to cut a little more than I burn. I should be somewhere near 4 years worth now and I finding it hard to find places to store it. It's like money in the bank!

If I had my own woodlot I would cut only in the colder months to. But like Ray I scrounge all my wood and have to gather it while the gettings good.

Last edited:
Having a pretty good weekend so far. Got a few big trees down and cut up, Gonna get 4 more down today. I gotta admit though that I'm doing it because these are all right next to my bowhunting stand and season opener is in 2 weeks. I wanna get them and vacate the area for a week or two and let things settle down a bit.

Back