Just Retired, Swore I'd never get another "JOB"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When I retired in November I swore I'd never get another job. Heck, at UPS I was making $33 bucks an hour and had 8 weeks vacation. Why would I get a job where I was on the very bottom of the seniority list and have to ask some 18 year old kid if I could have the day off. I have enough projects to keep me in mad money, sort of. My neighbor is fed up with his lawn service and asked if I wanted to take over this year. I got to thinking, if I did his lawn for $40 bucks a week, my mom pays $30, I could do hers for 20 as needed, and pick up just one or two more, I'd have the payment for a brand new Kubota BX series FEL with a 54 inch mower. My brother in law has one and it's a nice little machine. Kubota has a no interest for 60 months going till the end of March. Would I be going back on my word if I picked up a couple lawns to pay for that pretty little orange tractor. I think I might do it. If I sell my Ford 641 and my John Deere 265 mower for about 2 grand for a down payment, my payment would only be about $170 a month. Gotta decide in the next week or two before my neighbor gets a new guy, Joe.

Do you want to be tied down to working for others. Retirement is for being your own boss and not having to worry about being on someone else's schedule (other than your better half)

don't forget about the payments in the winter time.

i would say yes do it, if you can afford the extra payment without the extra income.
if not then don't do it.

yes do it, if you just want something to keep you busy.:popcorn2:

If I was going to work after retirement I wouldn't choose something like lawn mowing that requires weekly attention, that's for sure.

Pick something where you can takes weeks or months off at a time and not inconvenience your clients. And something that can be done year round so you can work some in the winter, not the summer!

Keep in mind that "no interest for 60 months" means you don't need to pay the interest for 60 months. After that time period, THEN you have to pay all the interest that was accumulating for those 60 months. Read the fine print. Pay cash up front and don't do their "special" deals, for they are only special to THEM.

When I retired in November I swore I'd never get another job. Heck, at UPS I was making $33 bucks an hour and had 8 weeks vacation. Why would I get a job where I was on the very bottom of the seniority list and have to ask some 18 year old kid if I could have the day off. I have enough projects to keep me in mad money, sort of. My neighbor is fed up with his lawn service and asked if I wanted to take over this year. I got to thinking, if I did his lawn for $40 bucks a week, my mom pays $30, I could do hers for 20 as needed, and pick up just one or two more, I'd have the payment for a brand new Kubota BX series FEL with a 54 inch mower. My brother in law has one and it's a nice little machine. Kubota has a no interest for 60 months going till the end of March. Would I be going back on my word if I picked up a couple lawns to pay for that pretty little orange tractor. I think I might do it. If I sell my Ford 641 and my John Deere 265 mower for about 2 grand for a down payment, my payment would only be about $170 a month. Gotta decide in the next week or two before my neighbor gets a new guy, Joe.
New job. FISHING

Some how some way those payments that were so well thought out always seem to end up being a Albatross down the road. If you really , really want it then see if you can take a loan out against yourself so at least you are paying yourself back . In the end cash up front rules and walking with cash in pocket can be an extreme motivator for a dealership as far as pricing is concerned- If they blow you off then you didn't need it in the first place. Put cash back in pocket and walk. ( salesmans worst nightmare)

Doing something to stay busy in retirement seems like a good idea for most. However, cutting grass wouldn't be something I would do simply because you become a slave to it every 5-7 days or so depending on growing conditions. But if you are always around and have no travel plans then go for it.

Keep in mind that "no interest for 60 months" means you don't need to pay the interest for 60 months. After that time period, THEN you have to pay all the interest that was accumulating for those 60 months. Read the fine print. Pay cash up front and don't do their "special" deals, for they are only special to THEM.
I did a 6 months no interest loan when I bought my $15000 bike. I bank on line so the day I bought the bike I came home and set up the payoff to happen a week ahead of the deadline. At the time my on line bank was paying 6% interest so I basically made 3% on the money I would have spent in cash. As UM said, read all of the fine print. Mine was put on a card as a opening balance, but the terms specified that anything else I put on that card would pay off ahead of the loan for the bike. Knowing that, I cut up the card as soon as I got home. If I had put even a $10 charge on the card I would have had 6 months of interest to pay on that $10.

I will retire next year. my retirement plans dont call for keeping any schedules for anybody but myself. I have had several job offers the past couple of years doing what I am currently doing. I just cant seem to make that work in my head. I mean, why leave one job for another job just like the one I have. My reply to the offers is no thank you, but I will keep you in mind just incase I change my mind. Dont want to burn any bridges. Still, they better not hold their breath waiting for me to get back to them.

I did that same thing 4 years ago muddstopper. The only benefit I can see in doing more of the same is you get paid twice. Once from your retirement income and again from whoever you are working for. So far the money has not been enough to even tempt me though. I have enough coming in without it.

Latest posts

Back