Just Some Saw Wts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed the Sugi Hara today, and I must say, since I was looking for larger wt savings, I am disappointed.

Guess I should have looked at Redbull660s chart a little closer. His 20" bar wt is for a Stihl ES bar, I'm running a Stihl Rollamatic E.

My Rollamatic E weights 2 lb 4.6 oz, a mere 1.5 oz more than the Sugi Hara. Comparing the two bars, in addition to a removable tip, the Sugi Hara tip is a little wider, and I'm sure has one or two more rotating pins up there. Hopefully, it will cut a little faster, because it was not worth purchasing for the wt savings.

I guess Stihl did not come out with a light wt 20" bar because the E already is a light weight.

Wt of the 362 C with the Sugi Hara bar is 17 lb 12.4 oz. Why 4.5 oz less? Cause the chain guard was filled with wet saw dust, never seen it so bad, so I'm sure I cleaned 2 oz of sawdust out of there when I installed the new bar. (That would make the corrected wt for the 362, with the Stihl bar, 17 lb 13.9 oz)

At least the bar looks good on the saw, live & learn!

Attachments

• SugiHara8-10-15 002.jpg
    SugiHara8-10-15 002.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • SugiHara8-10-15 004.jpg
    SugiHara8-10-15 004.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 19
It does look perty on there, bummer about the weight though. I will get a weight on mine tonight for the MS440r with 25" ES bar. I know after see the new area I have to cut in I am going to have to invest in a longer bar, holy doug fir batman!

Sorry you got a surprise Mike, but that's about what is expected. The lightweight sugi and tsumura bars are solid bars that have been reduced down in weight to what can be expected of a laminated bar.
Not all laminated bars are created equally, nor are all of the reduced weight bars equal. The longer sugi bars for instance don't have cut outs that go all the way to the power head. My assumption is that this is to retain strength while reducing weight where it affects balance.

You've got two great bars there, and they should cover your needs for many, many years.

My BIL is retired 82nd Airborne now working as a federal prison corrections officers. His cojones are so big he has to carry them in a wheel barrow. Much respect.

Back