King or Princess? (I mean Blaze king stoves)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, big drafty house, about 900 ft. on each level, but we've got 2 floors and an attic. The stove is in a corner room and it's not easy to get the heat to move around the house as we would like. I have a small fan near the ceiling, but it doesn't seem to help much. Maybe I'll have to go bigger if I get the King.

The idea of using the King with a 6" pipe is really attractive. I'm not too keen on spending another grand or so on a new chimney, nor installing it on this very tall house. I don't plan to do much flame-watching - just heat.

Local dealer quoted me $2,542 for the Princess and $2,995 for the King. Sounds like a good price, unless I get one from Oregon.

The idea of using the King with a 6" pipe is really attractive. I'm not too keen on spending another grand or so on a new chimney, nor installing it on this very tall house. I don't plan to do much flame-watching - just heat.

Just make sure your flue drafts well, no bends...straight up, and it will work fine. I read a thread somewhere (I forget now) about running the King on a 6" pipe. The guy actually called Blaze King and asked them about it. They said it was ok under the right conditions. You might give them a call and discuss it with them just so you will have piece of mind that your scenario will work. Like I said, as long as we let it burn down before we reload, we don't have smoke spillage problems.

Also, where you place your reducer may have an effect on smoke spillage as well. We have our reducer right on top of the stove. If that doesn't work for you, you could always go 8" double wall as high as possible in the room before you reduced to 6". This will give the smoke a lot more "room" while you reload. Yes, you will have to buy the 8" double wall but you won't have to replace the really expensive triple from the attic on out.

Yes, big drafty house, about 900 ft. on each level, but we've got 2 floors and an attic. The stove is in a corner room and it's not easy to get the heat to move around the house as we would like. I have a small fan near the ceiling, but it doesn't seem to help much. Maybe I'll have to go bigger if I get the King.

Local dealer quoted me $2,542 for the Princess and $2,995 for the King. Sounds like a good price, unless I get one from Oregon.
Make sure you know what accessories do/don't come with the stove. Pedistal feet, shields, finish trim and fans are all accessories and demand more money. Just make sure what your getting is what you expect.

Yup. Mine is the Ultra with blowers and nickel door (with glass), all that extra stuff cost more than the plain jane unit.

The blower helps a bunch for pulling the heat off the stove and getting around the house, even when run on Low. I did the nickle door to match the house better as all my doorknobs, lighting and plumbing fixtures, cabinet knobs, etc are nickle colored.

Make sure you know what accessories do/don't come with the stove. Pedistal feet, shields, finish trim and fans are all accessories and demand more money. Just make sure what your getting is what you expect.

Just make sure your flue drafts well, no bends...straight up, and it will work fine. I read a thread somewhere (I forget now) about running the King on a 6" pipe. The guy actually called Blaze King and asked them about it. They said it was ok under the right conditions. You might give them a call and discuss it with them just so you will have piece of mind that your scenario will work. Like I said, as long as we let it burn down before we reload, we don't have smoke spillage problems.

Also, where you place your reducer may have an effect on smoke spillage as well. We have our reducer right on top of the stove. If that doesn't work for you, you could always go 8" double wall as high as possible in the room before you reduced to 6". This will give the smoke a lot more "room" while you reload. Yes, you will have to buy the 8" double wall but you won't have to replace the really expensive triple from the attic on out.

I have 2 bends - it goes out the wall in the same room then up about 25'.

With the internal (to the house) elbows, try to use two 45* elbows in place of 90* elbows and have a healthy positive slope to help keep velocity up where practical.

The Woodstock soapstone are looking way better if that matters.
Unfortunately they are still in a smaller class as the King.

I would be leary of reducing the King to 6" with a 90* bend (no matter if it's 2 45's or one 90). I would highly suggest you call Blaze King and get their take on it. It may be, with that 25' of straight, that you have plenty of draft. I would just hate to see you buy one and then be unhappy with it's performance.

With the internal (to the house) elbows, try to use two 45* elbows in place of 90* elbows and have a healthy positive slope to help keep velocity up where practical.

Unfortunately they are still in a smaller class as the King.
Similar in size to the princess I believe.

Similar in size to the princess I believe.

But not similar in performance. Just my opinion but until Woodstock designs a true auto air control into their stoves, they will not compete (performance/real world efficiency) with the Blaze Kings. Know I will get flamed for that but it's the truth.

Similar in size to the Vermont castings?
But not similar in performance. Just my opinion but until Woodstock designs a true auto air control into their stoves, they will not compete (performance/real world efficiency) with the Blaze Kings. Know I will get flamed for that but it's the truth.
yea I believe your right from what I have read. If u want the 24 hour burn go blaze king. I was going to get one but I already had a big black stove and wanted something a little more pleasant to look at for the living room.

Curious how the princess is working for your old house. My house is a 1971 with and addition added sometime in the 80's. Lots of aluminum double pain cold windows and a few single pain with storm windows. Just trying to figure out if I should jump to a king or stay with a princess.

Duane

Uuc, make sure you know what they are selling you. I just call my local (5) distributors for price quotes on a King and the 2995 tag sounds right for the King Classic which has no ash pan, its like the base model. If you want an ash pan you have to go with the King Ultra. That comes standard with rails, convection deck, ash pan and side shields (not removable). The door is an additional cost on any model stove purchased but, ya gotta have one, just make sure its in the price quote. The add on options for the ultra are a back shield to decrease combustible clearance, a fan kit (~$340) and a fresh air kit (required for mobile homes). I found a dealer where I can get the King Ultra with just the basics (all black too) for $3300 out the door. I imagine the same details apply to the princess model as well. Just want you to understand what they are quoting you for. Soon as I get my truck engine back in and fired up I'm ordering mine.

I just realized you made this post this past summer and likely already made your purchase. Maybe this info will help you other guys considering a BK stove.

@Idahonative do you have any photos of the reducer atop the king? Is it single wall? I have a 6" flue and am looking at either the apex with the stupid 7" flue or maybe even a king with the 8" and would need to adapt down. I have 19' of vertical flue above whichever.

Funny how a drolet heatpro with a 4.9 CF firebox only needs a 6" flue.

@Idahonative do you have any photos of the reducer atop the king? Is it single wall? I have a 6" flue and am looking at either the apex with the stupid 7" flue or maybe even a king with the 8" and would need to adapt down. I have 19' of vertical flue above whichever.

Maybe it has to do with efficiency and the temperature of the flue gases... It is interesting to me as well.

I posted a pic on one of the threads here somewhere. I'll try and find it or I'll just take another. Yes, it is single wall (just the reducer), then double up to the chimney box.

We only have about 15' of total pipe but our King runs FANTASTIC on 6". The only downside: If we try to load wood with too much fuel still left in the firebox, we will have smoke spillage. It's not a problem for us because we only load once per day and by that time, whatever is left is charcoaled (not producing a lot of smoke). We get virtually no spillage doing it this way.

During normal operation, these stoves (as you know) don't move a lot of flue gases. I understand why they want it to run with 8" during those times when moving more draft is desirable (loading). My cousin installed his new King 6 weeks ago and is running about 25' of 6" and has had the same experiences as we have. He is very happy as well.

If you have 19' of straight 6" vertical, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem at all running the King. Like I said though, have most of your load burnt down before you re-load.

Back